Vertical, white dotted lines in games

I'm playing Dark Souls 3 and I notice vertical, white dotted lines flickering on the screen. It didn't last long and I carried on playing for another 10-15 minutes with no more symptoms. Haven't noticed this in other games, but haven't tested many.

Considering what I said, what are the most likely culprits? Note: I haven't dusted my PC in a couple of years, so that's the first thing which came to mind.

Any help is appreciated :) 

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Sounds almost like artifacting to me, indicating either a failing GPU or a bad overclock.

There's no overclock. 

Failing, not overheating? :(

Just now, Lemonpearl said:

There's no overclock. 

Failing, not overheating? :(

In rare cases, I've seen artifacting caused by overheating, but today's stuff just underclocks itself when they get too hot, its called thermal throttling.

Try downloading MSI Afterburner and first just setting your GPU fans to full speed to lower temps and see what happens. Failing that, drop your core and memory clocks down a bit and see if that fixes it.

I have a 760Ti that has degraded so badly that it needs -500mhz on the core clock to run stable, but its... special.

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

In rare cases, I've seen artifacting caused by overheating, but today's stuff just underclocks itself when they get too hot, its called thermal throttling.

Try downloading MSI Afterburner and first just setting your GPU fans to full speed to lower temps and see what happens. Failing that, drop your core and memory clocks down a bit and see if that fixes it.

I have a 760Ti that has degraded so badly that it needs -500mhz on the core clock to run stable, but its... special.

Dusted my fans and filters, so hopefully temps are better. I will also try your suggestion.

Might be hard to see, but my character is casting two shadows. Do you think it's just a glitch with the game, or possibly related?

20180219002220_1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lemonpearl said:

Dusted my fans and filters, so hopefully temps are better. I will also try your suggestion.

Might be hard to see, but my character is casting two shadows. Do you think it's just a glitch with the game, or possibly related?

I've never been impressed with ingame shadows, they never work right lol

Hopefully cleaning it will help, but if you start getting artifacts, try fiddling with clocks.