Windows 10 for ARM - Details and Limitations Revealed

GoodBytes
7 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

How does one produce a browser around 75% faster than that produced by Google, currently the leader in it's field?

If this were possible I would have assumed that Google (plus every web browser developer) would have produced an automated system to produce and distribute this sort of improvement. Furthermore according to this source the Pixel XL scored 2600 with Chrome 53 , therefore would be in the 2400 with improvements (The Pixel being the probably the most optimized device) , if this were beaten it certainly would be impressive.

Snapdragon optimized browsers. Basically it's a chromium based browser that is tweaked to get the maximum performance out of Qualcomm processors. Not that different from what Apple does to post impressive performance in various metrics.

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Snapdragon optimized browsers. Basically it's a chromium based browser that is tweaked to get the maximum performance out of Qualcomm processors. Not that different from what Apple does to post impressive performance in various metrics.

Given how fast Chrome on Pixel is in this bench, could Google have made a different, optimized build that is downloaded or used by a Pixel device instead of what is generally available?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Given how fast Chrome on Pixel is in this bench, could Google have made a different, optimized build that is downloaded or used by a Pixel device instead of what is generally available?

I think they could but at the same time I think it would require them to somewhat fork the development and maintain two builds (and could conflict with the play store version). I'm not sure how deep the optimizations run. So I don't know how much work it takes. Then there's OEMs who could be pissed if Google undermined them.

But to reiterate: yes they should be able to do a Chrome build that runs faster. Samsung also ships a browser optimized for their phones and it's faster than Chrome. 

I think another question would be whether Google could improve performance for everyone. Could be both changes to the browser itself and to the compiler. Chrome just isn't the fastest, smoothest, most efficient or feature rich but it's my default anyway as the UI and browsing experience is mostly the least annoying to me.

21 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I think they could but at the same time I think it would require them to somewhat fork the development and maintain two builds (and could conflict with the play store version). I'm not sure how deep the optimizations run. So I don't know how much work it takes. Then there's OEMs who could be pissed if Google undermined them.

But to reiterate: yes they should be able to do a Chrome build that runs faster. Samsung also ships a browser optimized for their phones and it's faster than Chrome. 

I think another question would be whether Google could improve performance for everyone. Could be both changes to the browser itself and to the compiler. Chrome just isn't the fastest, smoothest, most efficient or feature rich but it's my default anyway as the UI and browsing experience is mostly the least annoying to me.

Chrome is pretty well optimized to using 8-core processors, so performance on an octa-Cortex A53 device is actually quite good. Given the large array of different cpu architectures in use, it (Chrome) is probably well suited to achieving acceptable performance for everyone vs extracting maximum performance from any individual architecture.

I use Chrome because I find it to be the best "jack-of-all-trades" browser. I prefer the UI of Firefox and would love to switch, but the scrolling performance is not at all smooth. While YuBrowser is very fast, lack of updates and breaking of some sites (like LTT) make it a non-contender for regular use. Opera Mini is great for reducing data due to the option of not loading images, but is quite slow in scrolling performance. Many other browsers don't offer much beyond what Chrome already offers (faster performance, or better UI).

My eyes see the past…

29 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Chrome is pretty well optimized to using 8-core processors, so performance on an octa-Cortex A53 device is actually quite good. Given the large array of different cpu architectures in use, it (Chrome) is probably well suited to achieving acceptable performance for everyone vs extracting maximum performance from any individual architecture.

I use Chrome because I find it to be the best "jack-of-all-trades" browser. I prefer the UI of Firefox and would love to switch, but the scrolling performance is not at all smooth. While YuBrowser is very fast, lack of updates and breaking of some sites (like LTT) make it a non-contender for regular use. Opera Mini is great for reducing data due to the option of not loading images, but is quite slow in scrolling performance. Many other browsers don't offer much beyond what Chrome already offers (faster performance, or better UI).

You could try Brave. It has built-in Adblock, background video playback and a bunch of security/privacy features. It, like many others, is Chromium based.

One thing Chrome needs is a faster JavaScript engine. So I'd like to see them work on that among other things.

36 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

You could try Brave. It has built-in Adblock, background video playback and a bunch of security/privacy features. It, like many others, is Chromium based.

One thing Chrome needs is a faster JavaScript engine. So I'd like to see them work on that among other things.

I just gave the Samsung browser a shot. O_o

Screenshot_20180219-143357.png

Also, Brave Browser scored some 3900 in the same benchmark.

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

For 3/4 of the benchmarks the Pixel is ahead of the HTC 10 and OP3 by 3-19%, mostly around ~6%. In comparison the S7 with the previously mentioned optimized browser (note that this is the E8890) version has an advantage of 29-57% in 3/4 tests. Hence it seems the advantage of the Pixel vs other SD820(1) devices is present, however probably not due to an optimized build.