Aluminium v Copper liquid cooling system

Hi there, a friend of mine is asking if it's worth the extra $60 for copper liquid cooling system as opposed to aluminium.

Long version: I'm a total noobie when it comes to building computers, and when he first asked me if I was any good with computers and immediately said yes, I was referring to software, but I'd like to at least try and help. I'm a little-big fan of Linus so I checked his videos but couldn't find a video title that looked relevant and thought asking here would be the next best thing.

only difference for you is cost and aluminum will be restrictive in where you can find blocks and fittings.

If it's only 60$ difference it's worth but that seems very very odd it's usually much more than that....

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

23 minutes ago, Thimble2600 said:

Hi there, a friend of mine is asking if it's worth the extra $60 for copper liquid cooling system as opposed to aluminium.

This isn't a question you should be asking yourself when planning a custom loop. 60$ more or less shouldn't matter that much compared to how much a full custom loop costs in general...

Aluminum system can yield good results, but the problem you run in to will be if you choose to expand. It is much harder to get some components like blocks and fittings in aluminum. Aluminum radiators are all over though. So if you are willing to put up with the trouble of finding aluminum fittings go for it, if not just go with copper. For a $60 different I personally would go with copper.

Try EK's aluminum starter set. Nice and cheap assuming you are on a budget. 

This will also let you know if you are really all that interested in custom cooling or just having a moment.

A good review of EK's Aluminum water cooling kit

But for real, given the typical costs of a fully custom loop, $60 is nothing.

So if you can go for copper, then all the better.

Cause once you go with aluminum, you will have to stick to that metal which will limit your expansion options in the future.

---

Considering  a couple fittings can cost $60, such a small amount when dealing with a custom loop shouldn't be a consideration when deciding between copper or aluminium.

Go Copper.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |