Petabyte Storage

Does anyone here have a petabyte of storage? Or, what is the most storage space you have on any given device. I'm just curious because the most space I have for my own personal use is like, 400gb. :-/

Check my profile information. Lol

4 minutes ago, Aaron_Blue01 said:

Does anyone here have a petabyte of storage? Or, what is the most storage space you have on any given device. I'm just curious because the most space I have for my own personal use is like, 400gb. :-/

Wow. That is a unique question. And the answer for it is no, but there may be some people with the money for it.

Got access to it through work - does that count?

Just now, Windspeed36 said:

Got access to it through work - does that count?

Well you work at LMG. You are one of the video editors right?

10 minutes ago, NQSD said:

Well you work at LMG. You are one of the video editors right?

Nope - not an LMG employee :P

People may have access to it at work, but basically no one is actually going to have a Petabyte of storage for personal use. 

I'm a fairly big data hog and I only have about 15TB of storage, which is only 1.5% of a Petabyte

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

People may have access to it at work, but basically no one is actually going to have a Petabyte of storage for personal use. 

I'm a fairly big data hog and I only have about 15TB of storage, which is only 1.5% of a Petabyte

I think @looney wins for this forum on personal storage - there's a pinned thread somewhere..

1 minute ago, Windspeed36 said:

Nope - not an LMG employee :P

How do you get access to a petabyte storage, which would mean you have a very absurd access to a private one. UNLESS, Linus apparently gave you access to his.

The max I have ever seen was around 10 TB, just for storing raw video and saved work. There is no way someone would need a PETABYTE of STORAGE. Unless you are like Linus and needs it for the archiving past work. That would make sense because he started in 2013, with @Windspeed36, who claims not to be a LMG employee.

11 minutes ago, NQSD said:

How do you get access to a petabyte storage

Windspeed already said. Access through the company that he works for probably only for work related files and content. There's more than one server with a petabyte of storage and more than one company that can utilize that much storage btw

Edited by SCGazelle

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Windspeed already said. Access through the company that he works for probably only for work related files and content. There's more than one server with a petabyte of storage and more than one company that can utilize that much storage btw

I am aware about that. It is vital that companies, such as Google and Amazon Cloud services, require these amounts of storage. But notice isn't it suspicious that he is an admin, and he started when the forums was first started?

15 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

I think @looney wins for this forum on personal storage - there's a pinned thread somewhere..

Yeah, i remember seeing something about his ridiculous storage setup a while ago. 

A petabyte wouldn't be a great solution for a consumer, due to the pricing, the consumer needing to get a system with enough raid cards and area to store them, and the hassles by configuring it. 

I've got about 50TB of usable storage at home.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

I've got about 50TB of usable storage at home.

What do you plan to do with that hefty amount of storage?  

1 minute ago, Zmax said:

One Seagate Wolf 10 Tb is about 600.00$us. 

I am sure you can all make the count

Don't forget that you would need about 100 of those and the hardware to connect them all and run in raid for a petyabyte.

2 minutes ago, NQSD said:

What do you plan to do with that hefty amount of storage?  

Media creation and a large media library.

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

Media creation and a large media library.

Then the amount of storage is put to good use. An average would be 1 to 3 GB for a casual movie, but when it comes to media creation it can jump up to about 20 GB. It would last you a while.

1 minute ago, NQSD said:

Then the amount of storage is put to good use. An average would be 1 to 3 GB for a casual movie, but when it comes to media creation it can jump up to about 20 GB. It would last you a while.

Yeah. I don't do video daily, maybe 50-100GB a month depending on the project. I do create about 3GB of photos a day. Media library wise, my Plex library is about 13.3TB. FLAC library is 900GB. Some time this year, I plan to kick all of the HDDs out of my case and into a NAS via 10G Ethernet.

1 minute ago, Legendarypoet said:

Yeah. I don't do video daily, maybe 50-100GB a month depending on the project. I do create about 3GB of photos a day. Media library wise, my Plex library is about 13.3TB. FLAC library is 900GB. Some time this year, I plan to kick all of the HDDs out of my case and into a NAS via 10G Ethernet.

That is kinda pricey, unless you have the NAS.

1 minute ago, NQSD said:

That is kinda pricey, unless you have the NAS.

Yeah. It's a 24 bay system. Haven't built it out yet. A few other projects in the pipeline first.

I run four servers in a server facility where I live. Each one has a VPN to my main server, which then I can access from it. With a decent amount of speed. The total amount of storage I have is 250tb + 2tb for my pc

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, NQSD said:

How do you get access to a petabyte storage, which would mean you have a very absurd access to a private one. UNLESS, Linus apparently gave you access to his.

Clients - when you’re looking at 7 year mandatory history for all digital data, you’ll chew through that pretty quick. 

A friend end of mine who works for a special software company was working on an application server set connected to about 7.2 PB of storage. 

1 hour ago, NQSD said:

I am aware about that. It is vital that companies, such as Google and Amazon Cloud services, require these amounts of storage. But notice isn't it suspicious that he is an admin, and he started when the forums was first started?

Google, AWS and Azure have in the 100’s if not 1000’s of PB of storage depending on who you ask. 

As for me, I started as a mod on the forum but ended up becoming the web host for it, moving it out of NCIX and into a data centre in the US with the technical help of others. Since then I was officially made an administrator and alongside the rest of the volunteers, keep this place going.