Possible AMD FX Refresh?

Take some time to read through these articles:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/the-amd-athlon-200ge-surfaces-based-on-raven-ridge.html

https://pcgamesn.com/amd-athlon-apu

https://www.techpowerup.com/241372/mysterious-amd-athlon-200ge-surfaces-on-sandra-database

Ryzen replaced FX as the high end option, with FX becoming mid-range and Athlon becoming a low-end option. As far as we can see, Sempron is gone. Think about this, if AMD refreshed their high-end segment with Ryzen, and their low-end segment with Athlon, that still leaves one segment untouched, and that would be FX. I may have discovered some evidence of an upcoming refresh, or, similar to the RX 550/560, a silent change to the FX CPU specs. Take a look at these pictures.

Capture.PNG.aa4b198b09f87649a28787329b33fc78.PNG

5a808f3a1e785_Capture2.PNG.6b465f216caa56296f4de71367f178d7.PNG

Maybe we'll see some AM3+ motherboards with PCIe 3.0. I would love to see a refresh of the FX series, maybe even a cheaper alternative to Ryzen, but maintaining high core count.

Why would they keep around an old and outdated platform and add PCIe 3.0 so you have to get a new motherboard? Ryzen is already cheap with the 1200 and 1300X being around $100 and $130-ish dollars.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

They already hit the low, mid, and high end market with Ryzen.

Remember it's not just Ryzen 7.  Ryzen 3 and 5 also exist.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

And where is your "evidence" that they may be refreshing it coming from?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Why do you have the FX-6300 in there? That's one of the old FX chips.

As for the FX name, it was tainted by the poor performance and will probably never be used again. The underlying architecture also has extremely slim chances of ever being used again. Upcoming Athlon chips, or Sempron if they want to use that name, will simply be based on Ryzen or future Ryzen-derived architectures.

This is a crazy idea and you are a really evil person to even think up something like that ;)

Seriously though, Ryzen 3 CPUs are the "mid-low-range" and Ryzen 5 "mid-range" you are looking for. Full FX Cpus would probably be more expensive to make than those - remember the FX architecture used in bulldozer etc. based APUs is heavily cut down (like almost no cache) that's why they're relatively cheap.

This Athlon is really just a natural outcome of the new 4core APUs coming out. It's like it's always been, some dies just didn't reach the specs or just had faulty cores so they disabled stuff to sell it as a cheaper product rather than just trash them. More than anything this Athlon is going to be last nail to the FX's coffin - remember the first AM4 APUs were FX architecture based, but now they'll just become obsolete.

Don't be a pleb 

ryzen covers all segments

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

No... Ryzen isn't their highend offering sorry to tell you! 

Ryzen R3 is their low end offering, 5 and 7 are the mid, Thread Ripper is high end, and epyc is their commercial offering... I dont see the FX nor the AM3+ socket returning... Maybe they'll make an Ryzen Athlon to compete with Celeron/Pentium but I doubt it

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

17 minutes ago, GloriousPain said:

Ryzen R3 is their low end offering, 5 and 7 are the mid, Thread Ripper is high end, and epyc is their commercial offering... I dont see the FX nor the AM3+ socket returning... Maybe they'll make an Ryzen Athlon to compete with Celeron/Pentium but I doubt it

You're right but not 100% right here. FX CPUs have in fact returned to AM4 in the form of Bristol Ridge APUs that are made on Bulldozer-derived Excavator architecture. I'd say THAT's the lowest end on the current platform, this 2c/4t Athlon will be a notch higher (because lets be honest, even 2 Ryzen cores are better than Bulldozer ;) ) and THEN there's Ryzen 3.

I don't see why you doubt that ryzen-based Athlon thing, they just have some faulty 2200G/2400G dies so why throw them out if they can just release some even cheaper stuff to dominate the lowest-end market.

45 minutes ago, ProximaOfZeal said:

You're right but not 100% right here. FX CPUs have in fact returned to AM4 in the form of Bristol Ridge APUs that are made on Bulldozer-derived Excavator architecture. I'd say THAT's the lowest end on the current platform, this 2c/4t Athlon will be a notch higher (because lets be honest, even 2 Ryzen cores are better than Bulldozer ;) ) and THEN there's Ryzen 3.

I don't see why you doubt that ryzen-based Athlon thing, they just have some faulty 2200G/2400G dies so why throw them out if they can just release some even cheaper stuff to dominate the lowest-end market.

Bulldozer-Derivative that's been on AM4 nearly since launch; is not a new FX Refresh... it's Bristol Ridge, it's APUs, ect. FX IS A NAME OF CERTAIN BULLDOZER CPUS. APUS based on Excavator v2 is not FX... FX is the name of a line up of CPUS... unless they name it "FX" it's not FX... 

Like I'm not wrong in anyway except maybe about Athlons coming back but that's speculation and my opinion which well can not be wrong by nature of being an opinion; it can just be a bad prognostication.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

1 hour ago, GloriousPain said:

No... Ryzen isn't their highend offering sorry to tell you! 

There's still some room for an Athlon replacement under the R3 line, but still, FX chips have no business there.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

There's still some room for an Athlon replacement under the R3 line, but still, FX chips have no business there.

Agreed fully. Like I said "Maybe they'll make an Ryzen Athlon to compete with Celeron/Pentium but I doubt it"

FX Branding has been trashed, not going to see it again for awhile if at all.

Ryzen branding covers low to mid in AMD's product stack currently.  Athlon covers the budget low end unless something changes with the branding for the extremely cut down APU's.