Kid's gaming keyboard & mouse recommendations

zackdawley

Okay, I'll admit that I am guilty. I've been letting my daughter game using Xbox ? and mobile. I really trying to get her into gaming on my PC the proper way, but the k65 & scimitar are a little daunting for her. 

Suggestions? 

well, what are you looking for? like do you want it small, light or something else? personally i want a big thicc mech full size with metal everywhere and a heavy ass mouse with a shitload of buttons so im rocking a Corsair K70 and a Logitech G502 but i doubt thats for her :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

My little one uses a Logitech Logitech M187 Wireless value wireless mouse that is only around 3 inches long and uses my keyboard but I use the number pad as her qweasdzxc keys. I also make sure she has to use a wrist rest on both to make it so it feels wrong to one without them. 

logitech K120 and M500.

nothing special about them, but also nothing pricy about them. and i've seen both survive some users whose sense of environmental hygiene makes me question our genetic differences from apes.

On 2/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

well, what are you looking for? like do you want it small, light or something else? personally i want a big thicc mech full size with metal everywhere and a heavy ass mouse with a shitload of buttons so im rocking a Corsair K70 and a Logitech G502 but i doubt thats for her :P 

Well yeah, I'm looking for suggestions as what I want might be blinding me to a good product for the application, why I'm asking for suggestions. 

Possibly something with undersized keys, or extra large print on the caps. Stuff for early elementary hands... And hopefully ergonomic enough to not develop problems early on. 

On 2/10/2018 at 11:22 AM, DocDave said:

My little one uses a Logitech Logitech M187 Wireless value wireless mouse that is only around 3 inches long and uses my keyboard but I use the number pad as her qweasdzxc keys. I also make sure she has to use a wrist rest on both to make it so it feels wrong to one without them. 

Very good point on the ergonomics 

23 hours ago, manikyath said:

logitech K120 and M500.

nothing special about them, but also nothing pricy about them. and i've seen both survive some users whose sense of environmental hygiene makes me question our genetic differences from apes.

Yeah, I try to keep the food and drink away from the electronics, but it seems more difficult than no food in the car ?

Just now, zackdawley said:

Well yeah, I'm looking for suggestions as what I want might be blinding me to a good product for the application, why I'm asking for suggestions. 

Possibly something with undersized keys, or extra large print on the caps. Stuff for early elementary hands... And hopefully ergonomic enough to not develop problems early on. 

the ergonomic part should be no worry, most of the people on here, well the younger ones at least, grew up infront of a shitty computer with a craptastic HP or Dell membrane pice of shit so that shouldnt be a problem if our hands are still fine. id recomend telling her to do some hand stretches once every hour or two though because that can get rid of most of the risks :) 

anyway im guessing small stuff would be optiomal, there are some really small mice that might be good options, found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SOONGO-Optical-Wired-Mouse-Computer/dp/B01FABWEVQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1518377316&sr=8-9&keywords=small+mouse

as for the keyboard id just make sure to get something with light switches, cherry red could be a good option or you could go to a store if you have any around and try some diffrent ones and feel out one thats pretty light. actiually chicklet switches might be pretty good too because they have very short travel 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the ergonomic part should be no worry, most of the people on here, well the younger ones at least, grew up infront of a shitty computer with a craptastic HP or Dell membrane pice of shit so that shouldnt be a problem if our hands are still fine. id recomend telling her to do some hand stretches once every hour or two though because that can get rid of most of the risks :) 

anyway im guessing small stuff would be optiomal, there are some really small mice that might be good options, found this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/SOONGO-Optical-Wired-Mouse-Computer/dp/B01FABWEVQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1518377316&sr=8-9&keywords=small+mouse

as for the keyboard id just make sure to get something with light switches, cherry red could be a good option or you could go to a store if you have any around and try some diffrent ones and feel out one thats pretty light. actiually chicklet switches might be pretty good too because they have very short travel 

The short travel is probably the biggest thing there... My k65 is cherry red and I think it's the long travel she hates. 

42 minutes ago, zackdawley said:

The short travel is probably the biggest thing there... My k65 is cherry red and I think it's the long travel she hates. 

yah then picking up a chicklet board would be good, id try one out in a store because some can be really heavy

Builds:

Spoiler