Locate a screen back light Fuse on HP Chromebook

Hello, I am trying to locate a screen back light fuse on an HP Chromebook 14 G4's main board. I think I may have blown it after connecting an incompatible screen to the main board. What happened was I had to order a replacement screen for the chromebook after the screen got smashed. and I was unaware that there were 2 different types of connectors. When I tried to connect the replacement screen to the main board, it didn't work at all. I soon realized that I had ordered the wrong one and sent it back and ordered the correct one. Now, I can see things on the screen, but the back light doesn't appear to be working. I tried the old screen (the back light originally worked in it's broken state), but the back light didn't come on anymore on that screen too. Any help is appreciated. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

do you have a board pic? do you have a multimeter?

I do have a multi-meter, and here's the best pic I can get. There's a plastic film covering the top of the main board that is hard to remove, and I don't wan't to remove it unless I know I can fix the problem. 

IMG_20180210_123504.thumb.jpg.9d0b62ad8173da21a6f61e9d0f92960a.jpg

12 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

I do have a multi-meter, and here's the best pic I can get. There's a plastic film covering the top of the main board that is hard to remove, and I don't wan't to remove it unless I know I can fix the problem. 

IMG_20180210_123504.thumb.jpg.9d0b62ad8173da21a6f61e9d0f92960a.jpg

well your gonna need a better pic to see where that fuse is. Do you know which pins are power for the backlight?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

well your gonna need a better pic to see where that fuse is. Do you know which pins are power for the backlight?

No, that's the problem. I can't find that information anywhere. No One knows where the fuse is ether. I was hoping I could find someone who has some information or skills I don't have.

2 minutes ago, MineParker101 said:

No, that's the problem. I can't find that information anywhere. No One knows where the fuse is ether. I was hoping I could find someone who has some information or skills I don't have.

I can probably find it if i have good board pics.

I tried to get some better ones, but the heatsink prevented me from pealing away the rest of the plastic film. I can't remove it because I don't have thermal compound on hand to put it back on. Here is what I got:

IMG_20180210_130251.thumb.jpg.f4814e48ac0acf94cd7d6b2e3edef498.jpgIMG_20180210_130233.thumb.jpg.72ee5eea9d1335513d9ef8252d83c4b0.jpgIMG_20180210_130304.thumb.jpg.fc48dc767ae33141f851b6704516052e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for the same thing. I have some pictures.

IMG_20180309_113454.thumb.jpg.ed966ee7a27170a84f9cce90ca82732f.jpgIMG_20180309_113426.thumb.jpg.2b7dca14cb94b353225e575deec08aed.jpgIMG_20180309_113441.thumb.jpg.0ac2fef92468c165df432b10985290ff.jpg

• 3 months later...

Have you guys find the fuse location ? 

• 1 year later...

Anyone? I have a few of these chromebooks with no backlight. I tired to re-seat the cable but that did not work. According to this thread (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Backlight-Fuse-Location/td-p/6269075) the fuse is on the back of the board. I think I located it and tried to connect the ends as to bypass the fuse, but no luck.

Anyone else have any ideas as to how to fix the backlight? 

thanks

• 1 year later...

I found it on the back. It's large, white, and obvious (like me). Directly on the other side of where the ribbon cable is seated. I used solder to bypass this fuse (after finding no continuity there) and viola! the backlight works and can be controlled through brightness buttons. $0 repair!

it is located on the opposite side of this component, underneath the board.  (not inside it of course.. i mean on the entire other side)

image.png