How long is to long??

DocDave

Hey guys

So my current setup is my master phone line comes in to my master bedroom to an isp provided router/modem/switch thing. I then run an Ethernet cat 5 cable out the front of my house do to where my pc is, which was ok till I have now moved within the room, I have tried to run by WiFi which was just crap so decided that I would follow the instructions that Luke put on his “DIY Ghetto Netwroking Wall” video. 

So to do so I need to run cat6 cables troughout my home and was wondering is there a length at which the signal strength starts degrade? 

I am am planning to run my phone line into an isp router, then cat6 to a switch, then to a WiFi across point, as well as to my pc, is that the best way to run the system or would it be better to do it from phone to modern to network switch and so on?

thanks again everyone

David 

At or over 100 meters or ~300 feet is where you'll start to have issues.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Before we get into all the intricacies of setting up your home network...

Phone line? As in... DSL? Let's make sure that's not the first thing you need to take care of for your bandwidth woes.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

I've never had issues with around ~225 feet.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

max length for a single point to point connection via LAN is 100m

this means you could go 100m from router to the switch and than another 100 from the switch.

unless you got a massive mansion you will not have any issues.

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

At or over 100 meters or ~300 feet is where you'll start to have issues.

2 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Before we get into all the intricacies of setting up your home network...

Phone line? As in... DSL? Let's make sure that's not the first thing you need to take care of for your bandwidth woes.

My internet line, set up is fibre to the exchange that is around 800m from my home via an over head cable. 

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

max length for a single point to point connection via LAN is 100m

this means you could go 100m from router to the switch and than another 100 from the switch.

unless you got a massive mansion you will not have any issues.

What will cause signal issues? And give me the best bandwidth. 

Just now, DocDave said:

The limitation is for copper itself, fiber is much more resilient and can span much MUCH longer distances

Just now, DocDave said:

What will cause signal issues? And give me the best bandwidth. 

Signal degradation will cause issues over 300 feet. If you have something at the end of those 300 feed like a switch which will then pass the signal another 300 or so feet before issues arise again and you need another piece of equipment at the end to "refresh" the signal.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

The limitation is for copper itself, fiber is much more resilient and can span much MUCH longer distances

Signal degradation will cause issues over 300 feet. If you have something at the end of those 300 feed like a switch which will then pass the signal another 300 or so feet before issues arise again and you need another piece of equipment at the end to "refresh" the signal.

Ok so the copper cabling belongs to the isp so that is here to stay. I am still able to receive 76 -104 mbps depending on everything from weather to how many people in my village logs onto the internet. 

1 minute ago, DocDave said:

Ok so the copper cabling belongs to the isp so that is here to stay. I am still able to receive 76 -104 mbps depending on everything from weather to how many people in my village logs onto the internet. 

Yah, I should also be more clear. The limitation is for ethernet based cabling. DSL and the like can go usually further but there are other issues and different limitations there. For your home network though, unless you're going more than 300 feet across without any thing in between or at the other end, then you'll be fine to re-network your home.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Thank you. So which box should I put where. Or does it not really matter. 

Just now, DocDave said:

Thank you. So which box should I put where. Or does it not really matter. 

It doesn't really matter, so long as you can get the internet line from the ISP to the first box and from there to wherever :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: