Reflashing Fake GTX 960 to the Orginal Card

Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,
35 minutes ago, noncompoop said:

What do you think about the advice in this video ( I just found it after creating this thread) ? Also, are you saying the Chinese 750 ti's that advertise 2gb of VRAM are legitimate? Just want to make sure I am not misreading you.

So far, they have all been genuine. The 1GB one on the thumbnail of that photo is a 550Ti, however.

I've managed to get it to work on a 550Ti BIOS, but it wouldn't let me flash it through software.

I needed to desolder the bios chip and flash it manually...

I see alot of these fake ebay GTX 960's that are typically either GTS 450's or GTX 560's. I am actually trying to piece together a super cheap ( like under $70) PC that can basically run all of the games in the rockstar humble bundle and both of those older cards look perfect.

My question is, is it possible to buy one of these fake cards, get the refund from ebay/paypal and then flash the proper bios to have a fully functional card or are these cards totally FUBAR when you get them? I know these cards are fairly inexpensive in general but hey, I'd take one for free vs shelling out 3/4 of the challenge budget on one. ( btw the breakdown of what I got is essentially an optiplex 780 with 4gb of RAM and Windows 7 I got for $20 and possibly $20 on a power supply (after rebates) and the rest on a GPU or, if this works out, more ram).

I would say ask @iamdarkyoshi, as he's the king of fake ebay GPUs, but what you're proposing is less than legit.

This is pretty bizarre...surely you can find a 560 or something locally for $20-30 or so? 

13 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

I would say ask @iamdarkyoshi, as he's the king of fake ebay GPUs, but what you're proposing is less than legit.

Is it though? They're fake cards and the listings typically get taken down after reporting. I'm just trying to see if the original card can be salvaged at all post fact.

11 minutes ago, majormarmot said:

This is pretty bizarre...surely you can find a 560 or something locally for $20-30 or so? 

I could if I looked hard enough but it's basically sticking it to scammers and potentially saving a flashed card too

3 minutes ago, noncompoop said:

Is it though? They're fake cards and the listings typically get taken down after reporting. I'm just trying to see if the original card can be salvaged at all post fact.

Yes. If all you're after is information on flashing a card, the gray area bits are best left out.

5 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Yes. If all you're after is information on flashing a card, the gray area bits are best left out.

Fair enough, I haven't really even put it together.yet so this is hypothetical at this point. I'm more so curious if the cards can genuinely be flashed back or not.

Its really a pain to get these cards working with a good bios, and at best, you'll get a 550Ti with at best 1GB of videoram.

The 2GB 750Tis (left) and 1GB GTX 650 (right) have all been genuine so far.

IMG_20180206_170240.thumb.jpg.2da0d4ac4028d0bb303130188a34fe57.jpg

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Its really a pain to get these cards working with a good bios, and at best, you'll get a 550Ti with at best 1GB of videoram.

The 2GB 750Tis (left) and 1GB GTX 650 (right) have all been genuine so far.

IMG_20180206_170240.thumb.jpg.2da0d4ac4028d0bb303130188a34fe57.jpg

What do you think about the advice in this video ( I just found it after creating this thread) ? Also, are you saying the Chinese 750 ti's that advertise 2gb of VRAM are legitimate? Just want to make sure I am not misreading you.

35 minutes ago, noncompoop said:

So far, they have all been genuine. The 1GB one on the thumbnail of that photo is a 550Ti, however.

I've managed to get it to work on a 550Ti BIOS, but it wouldn't let me flash it through software.

41 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

Just buy a 680 or 580 for pretty much the same price

Neither of those are available locally or online for near $40 afaics

57 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I finally get it, Thanks for bearing with me. I actually found one of those 750 ti's ( the red and black double fan one) but just assumed it was a fake. 

Also, thanks for answering the question, yes you can flash but would require you to essentially install a new bios chip and cannot be done through software. correct?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I am in possession of a fake gtx 960 4gb that in reality is a 1gb gddr5 with what it seems a 550ti gpu but with only 128 bit memory access making it a gts 450 revision 2.

The card looks very much like the other fake ones but the gpu vrm area uses double MOSFETs with a screwed metal cooler.

I was wondering if there would be someone willing to help identifying the card and possibly identifying a compatible vbios or a way to modify the bios. I will post pictures later on the day when I get home.

It would be nice to have a database of these cards with their details and possible fixes. I would be willing to contribute.

Cheers :)

Edited by cromalhao

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2018 at 10:04 AM, cromalhao said:

Hello. I am in possession of a fake gtx 960 4gb that in reality is a 1gb gddr5 with what it seems a 550ti gpu but with only 128 bit memory access making it a gts 450 revision 2.

The card looks very much like the other fake ones but the gpu vrm area uses double MOSFETs with a screwed metal cooler.

I was wondering if there would be someone willing to help identifying the card and possibly identifying a compatible vbios or a way to modify the bios. I will post pictures later on the day when I get home.

It would be nice to have a database of these cards with their details and possible fixes. I would be willing to contribute.

Cheers :)

This would definetly help you out

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, first post here :D I came across this "Legitimate Fake" on Ebay, and was curious. Googling around brought me to my favorite youtube hardware geek resource. Linus! LMK what you guys make of this? I was in rapt attention for your Optiplex gamer build, which is extremely promising for cheap ass gamers like myself! and thanks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/GTX780-Desktops-Graphics-4GB-DDR5-Game-Video-Cards-PCI-Express-Gaming/183415623320?hash=item2ab46c4e98:g:EusAAOSwAm9bvxmh

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have one of these fake 960's and I wanted to flash the original BIOS but I am having trouble identifying the GPU. There is no number on the chip. Or am I missing something? Also can someone confirm the amount of RAM.

Thanks

GPU Chip.jpeg

PCB.jpeg

RAM Chip.jpeg

Board and fans.jpeg

• 5 months later...

btw how to fix and back it to original vc?