GTX 1060 Performing "Way below expectations"

Hey guys,

I've been building systems for a while and been selling them on eBay, I'm generally well experienced with builds as a result.

I've had this 1060 since December and I've noticed that I'm generally getting lower frames in games and most of my performance tests are indicating lower than average scores, is it possible that there's something wrong with my card?

I have the latest Nvidia drivers (version 390.77 at the time of this post), the airflow in the PC is good and the highest temperature I've ever had recorded with this air cooled card is 75 degrees celsius (around 170 Fahrenheit).

If it's possible could any of you enlighten me as to what can be done about the performance, I'm at my wits end.

Other details of my system:

UserBenchmarks: Game 64%, Desk 72%, Work 48%
CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 - 76.6%
GPU: Zotac Mini Nvidia GTX 1060-6GB - 66.1%
SSD: OCZ ARC 100 480GB - 85.8%
HDD: HGST Travelstar 7K1000 2.5" 1TB - 62.1%
HDD: Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB (2016) - 71.7%
RAM: DDR4 2400 16GB - 70.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H

2018-02-06.png

well the card stops boosting at 60c iirc so thats probably it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

you could look at gpu usage and clock speed during testing. 

Getting 1900MHz clock and 4000MHz memory clock, seems high?

7 minutes ago, CommunistKnight said:

Getting 1900MHz clock and 4000MHz memory clock, seems high?

and usage?

you can see that in task manager.

She/Her

3 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

and usage?

you can see that in task manager.

That's at 100%.

that benchmark sucks, i did it some time back and to me it was the CPU. I have no CPU problem, rater they have a software problem. Just test the card on a game or furmark or something similar

1 minute ago, asus killer said:

that benchmark sucks, i did it some time back and to me it was the CPU. I have no CPU problem, rater they have a software problem. Just test the card on a game or furmark or something similar

Fur Mark at 1920x1080 with 8X MSAA was getting 36 FPS, seems low?

3 minutes ago, CommunistKnight said:

Fur Mark at 1920x1080 with 8X MSAA was getting 36 FPS, seems low?

i'm not saying you have or not a problem, just don't trust that benchmark

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

i'm not saying you have or not a problem, just don't trust that benchmark

I mean I just benched mine with same settings and it got 72 low with a evga 1060 sc 3gb.

Desktop 

R5 2600 OC 4.2GHz | CM Hyper 212 EVO | Asrock b450 Fatal1ty itx | Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 - 21333 | 2x SanDisk SSD+ 240GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM IHDD | EVGA 1060 3GB SC GAMING | EVGA 600W ATX PSU | Cougar QBX

Current Project

17" Toshiba Laptop (i3 dual 2.1, 4gb ddr3 1333, 640gb HDD, integrated graphics)

----------------------------------upgraded/converted to-------------------------------

DIY desktop case (Gskill 8gb ddr3 1866, sandisk ssd+ 240gb)

I have seen numerous performance issues posts with that GPU but here's one on LTT (

), where the OP found he had the power settings set to Balanced rather than High Performance.

2 minutes ago, Sickshooter0 said:

I have seen numerous performance issues posts with that GPU but here's one on LTT (

), where the OP found he had the power settings set to Balanced rather than High Performance.

I'll see how this goes.

New nvidia driver for Pascal (maybe anything) is poo. Just stay on previous driver.

More garbage from novideo kek.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Run Firestrike or Superposition (in certain presets. 1080p High or something), and compare the results online with other GTX 1060 users.

Don't use garbage like Furmark etc ^^

Edit: My previous 1060 Gaming X managed 10700~ Graphic Points in Firestrike (Important: Look at the GRAPHIC Score, not the Overall score).

Depending on your 1060 model, Boost clock etc, i guess around 10k - 10,5k points should be in.

And around 4000~ Points in Timespy.

I've heard of this happening before try to reseat your gpu(unplug it from your motherboard and reinsert it). You may have not pushed it in far enough or some of the pins aren't lining up.

hope it works 

When I built my mate a very similar build, he was getting way higher than that. Although that boost clock seemed good to me, I would have expected a better score from that. Unless you do have some energy saving mode on it sounds like you got an underperforming card. Which is unlucky as hell

i5 7600k @5.2ghz 1.39v i7 7700k @5.1ghz 1.39v / Strix z270h / 16gb Trident z RGB 3200mhz CL16 1.35v (2400mhz CL15 kit overclocked) / GTX 1070ti sli both with Arctic Accelero Xtreme iv coolers / EVGA 750w Gold PSU

Samsung cf791 3440x1440 100hz Quantum Dot

Haven't broken something with an OC yet... YET.