R9 290x Black Screen After Boot

As the title suggests, my card is stuck on a black screen after the boot of Windows happens. I see the icon and the swirly circle of loading time, then just black. It displays my BIOS and everything just fine until Windows boots, so I’m very confused as to what to do. 

If I use only the integrated graphics it works fine. I reinstalled windows, I’ve reinstalled the driver for the card, still nothing.

Any suggestions?

my system:

windows 10 

i7 4790k

MSI Gaming 3 z97

samsun 860 Evo

R9 290x XFX or Sapphire

16gb RAM

3 minutes ago, CarolinaRoots said:

As the title suggests, my card is stuck on a black screen after the boot of Windows happens. I see the icon and the swirly circle of loading time, then just black. It displays my BIOS and everything just fine until Windows boots, so I’m very confused as to what to do. 

If I use only the integrated graphics it works fine. I reinstalled windows, I’ve reinstalled the driver for the card, still nothing.

Any suggestions?

my system:

windows 10 

i7 4790k

MSI Gaming 3 z97

samsun 860 Evo

R9 290x XFX or Sapphire

16gb RAM

Switch it to iGPU and boot it up with the card in it, then go into device manager and look at display adapters

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Switch it to iGPU and boot it up with the card in it, then go into device manager and look at display adapters

I did that and uninstalled the graphics driver, then reinstalled the latest one (18.something) and still no luck. 

Just now, CarolinaRoots said:

I did that and uninstalled the graphics driver, then reinstalled the latest one (18.something) and still no luck. 

what does it say in device manager?

also, download some linux distrubtion or other bootable usb and see if you can boot into it fully with the 290x

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

8 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

what does it say in device manager?

also, download some linux distrubtion or other bootable usb and see if you can boot into it fully with the 290x

It recognized that I have an R9 200 series card. I’ve never actually used Linux or anything like that before, is there a link you could provide? Thanks!

Did you use DDU and then try to reinstall the drivers? 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Just now, miagisan said:

Did you use DDU and then try to reinstall the drivers? 

What is DDU? Sorry if that’s a dumb question

Display driver Uninstaller. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

3 minutes ago, miagisan said:

Display driver Uninstaller. 

Okay so I ran DDU while in safe mode and reinstalled Crimson Relive 17.11.4 and it’s still not getting past the windows logo. Should I try something earlier than that?