5k,8k,10k what's the point

buyit1986

Can someone explain the point of displays with resolutions in excess of 4k/UHD when the average  human eye cannot discern the difference. I'm just curious about this

1 minute ago, buyit1986 said:

Can someone explain the point of displays with resolutions in excess of 4k/UHD when the average  human eye cannot discern the difference. I'm just curious about this

Shits and giggles

I've never seen higher than 1440p tbh, but I'm sure the difference between  4k and 8k would be noticeable to (almost) everyone. 

Would also depend on the screen size though, an 80inch 4k next to an 80inch 8k for example, there'd probably be quite a difference. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Those resolutions are useful to have a lot of high quality elements on screen at once without scaling, and higher resolutions are better for larger displays. Would you rather have a 70" 720p or 1080p display, or would you rather have a 70" 4k/5k display? You'd rather have the latter.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I've never seen higher than 1440p tbh, but I'm sure the difference between  4k and 8k would be noticeable to (almost) everyone. 

Would also depend on the screen size though, a 80inch 4k next to an 80inch 8k for example, there'd probably be quite a difference. 

I've never seen a 8k display so I wouldn't know, if i ever get to see that I will keep this in mind thank you 

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Those resolutions are useful to have a lot of high quality elements on screen at once without scaling, and higher resolutions are better for larger displays. Would you rather have a 70" 720p or 1080p display, or would you rather have a 70" 4k/5k display? You'd rather have the latter.

Thank you for the insights I didn't think of it that way, I do know for content creators 8k cameras are useful for editing down to 4k for publication. I think a 8k display might be cool if it was displayed next to a 4k display and you could tell the difference.

I have seen an 8k TV in Japan; it was playing a demo video and was about 70"(?) in size.  From 15' away it looked the same as the 4ks next to it.  As I got closer it started to look more and more amazing; at 4' feet it was staggering!  However, why would you watch a 70" screen from 4'?

Personally, I would like to see the resolution race put on hold for a while and have the industry focus on quality instead (HDR10 and Dolby Vision becoming standards are a good start...).  Doesn't seem likely though, when people vote with their wallets they generally choose quantity over quality.

44 minutes ago, buyit1986 said:

i think somebody needs glasses....

2 hours ago, buyit1986 said:

I think the 1st thing is for you to remove this notion that " the human eye can only XXX" be it FPS, detail level, peripheral sight etc etc.

Each person is different, as much as some people refuse to admit, just becouse they cant see somthing , doesnt mean som1 else cant, even if they think they have the best vision possible. As the old addage goes, " theres always a bigger fish", there will always be som1 with better sight that you.

ofc there will be point where no1 can tell the difference between 2 resolutions at a given size, but i assure you. 4k at any reasonable monitor or TV size, is no where near the maximum resolution in which people can notice a difference.

The difference in resolution is much easier to see when the image being shown is not processed in any way. As such, movies are not ideal as they have a good deal of motion blur introduced to smooth the 24 fps most run at.

A static native resolution image, say a 10k image, displayed on un-processed 4k,8k, and 10k displays will show a difference.

So....

30" Display

10k = 10240 x 5760 = 392 pixel per inch

8k = 7680 x 4320 = 294 pixels per inch

4k = 3840 x 2160 = 147 pixel per inch

Consider that mobile phones have way higher PPI, and people notice. The Samsung galaxy S8 has a 5.8inch display at 2960x1440, thats 568 PPI.

"yes but a mobile is used very close to your eyes" ... well. so is a 30" monitor, maybe not THAt close, but close enough for you to notice a difference between 147 PPi and 392 PPi

Hope this helps explain.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

6 hours ago, SolarNova said:

I think the 1st thing is for you to remove this notion that " the human eye can only XXX" be it FPS, detail level, peripheral sight etc etc.

Each person is different, as much as some people refuse to admit, just becouse they cant see somthing , doesnt mean som1 else cant, even if they think they have the best vision possible. As the old addage goes, " theres always a bigger fish", there will always be som1 with better sight that you.

ofc there will be point where no1 can tell the difference between 2 resolutions at a given size, but i assure you. 4k at any reasonable monitor or TV size, is no where near the maximum resolution in which people can notice a difference.

The difference in resolution is much easier to see when the image being shown is not processed in any way. As such, movies are not ideal as they have a good deal of motion blur introduced to smooth the 24 fps most run at.

A static native resolution image, say a 10k image, displayed on un-processed 4k,8k, and 10k displays will show a difference.

So....

30" Display

10k = 10240 x 5760 = 392 pixel per inch

8k = 7680 x 4320 = 294 pixels per inch

4k = 3840 x 2160 = 147 pixel per inch

Consider that mobile phones have way higher PPI, and people notice. The Samsung galaxy S8 has a 5.8inch display at 2960x1440, thats 568 PPI.

"yes but a mobile is used very close to your eyes" ... well. so is a 30" monitor, maybe not THAt close, but close enough for you to notice a difference between 147 PPi and 392 PPi

Hope this helps explain.

Thank you for your insights I now have an idea of how to look to see if I can personally tell a difference.