GPU usage Maxing out?

BlackHat2000

So I recently added a 1440p 144hz monitor to my arsenal and use it of course as the main display. But now when i try to stream (which i do regularly) It maxes out my gpu usage and tanks my stream performance. Whether it be on NVENC or x264. I can't even hit 720p60fps half the time. I"m just looking for an answer to this problem of mine. Either that or a i buy an elgato and see what happens.

V/R

What monitor were you using before?  If you are running your games at a higher framerate and/or resolution, it is going to be more demanding and might cause what you're describing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What monitor were you using before?  If you are running your games at a higher framerate and/or resolution, it is going to be more demanding and might cause what you're describing.

I went from 1920x1080. I'm also using a gtx 1080

5 minutes ago, BlackHat2000 said:

So I recently added a 1440p 144hz monitor to my arsenal and use it of course as the main display. But now when i try to stream (which i do regularly) It maxes out my gpu usage and tanks my stream performance. Whether it be on NVENC or x264. I can't even hit 720p60fps half the time. I"m just looking for an answer to this problem of mine. Either that or a i buy an elgato and see what happens.

V/R

try cpu encoding?????????????????? and yes it would as you have allowed it to render more frames (assuming you had v-sync or g-sync or freesyce on with a 60hz monitor)

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Just now, BlackHat2000 said:

Yes. If you went form 1080p 60 to 1440 144 it will max out your gpu.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

1 minute ago, BlackHat2000 said:

Try playing the games at the settings you would have previously used (1080p, and a 60 Hz framecap if that's what you did (I assume so)) and see if the stream works again.  If so, I think it means you're just working your GPU too hard.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

try cpu encoding?????????????????? and yes it would as you have allowed it to render more frames (assuming you had v-sync or g-sync or freesyce on with a 60hz monitor)

As i said i've tried x264

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Try playing the games at the settings you would have previously used (1080p, and a 60 Hz framecap if that's what you did (I assume so)) and see if the stream works again.  If so, I think it means you're just working your GPU too hard.

Yea, i ahven't changed the settings. But how come all of a sudden with this new monitor Usage is through the roof?

As i said i've tried x264

In my (admittedly limited) experience CPU encoding is not a viable option for most single PC gamers.  By the time you've done everything you need for the game, there just isn't enough left over to do encoding in a 4 or even 6 core CPU.

Yea, i ahven't changed the settings. But how come all of a sudden with this new monitor Usage is through the roof?

Well you're running at higher res thought right?

Well you're running at higher res thought right?

Well, At first i was. But i've tried dropping the settings to a different resolution and the only time it lieks me is when the game is in a smaller window rather than full screen.

Well, At first i was. But i've tried dropping the settings to a different resolution and the only time it lieks me is when the game is in a smaller window rather than full screen.

Did you also match framerate to what you used before?  I assume the old monitor was 60 hz but was it?  And were you using vsync?

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Did you also match framerate to what you used before?  I assume the old monitor was 60 hz but was it?  And were you using vsync?

Yea originally it was 60hz and capped at 60fps. Now i have it capped at 144 so i get the 144hz refresh rate

Yea originally it was 60hz and capped at 60fps. Now i have it capped at 144 so i get the 144hz refresh rate

Right, well, is there a way you can try capping it to 60 again just for testing purposes?  My feeling is that going from 1080p60 to 1440p144 has put too much load on your GPU to leave any spare power for encoding, and to confirm this we just need to see that encoding would work if you were still running with the old settings.  It wouldn't be a surprising result at all since you're pushing almost 4.3x as many pixels per second.

Right, well, is there a way you can try capping it to 60 again just for testing purposes?  My feeling is that going from 1080p60 to 1440p144 has put too much load on your GPU to leave any spare power for encoding, and to confirm this we just need to see that encoding would work if you were still running with the old settings.  It wouldn't be a surprising result at all since you're pushing almost 4.3x as many pixels per second.

I will give it a shot real quick. If it's worth a note i also have two 1080p monitors running at teh same time.

1 minute ago, BlackHat2000 said:

I will give it a shot real quick. If it's worth a note i also have two 1080p monitors running at teh same time.

Those would place an additional strain on the card but it's so insignificant I can't imagine it would play a factor here

Those would place an additional strain on the card but it's so insignificant I can't imagine it would play a factor here

So, setting my monitor to a 1080p 60hz setting with v sync on still seems to get me a 144fps seeming it is staying with the 144hz but still maxing out gpu usage.

7 minutes ago, BlackHat2000 said:

So, setting my monitor to a 1080p 60hz setting with v sync on still seems to get me a 144fps seeming it is staying with the 144hz but still maxing out gpu usage.

So running the game at 1080p60 and encoding as you normally would for the stream is still yielding performance and usage issues?  Oh :( I have no idea then... the good news though it that means there may actually be a fix.  If it had been what I thought (just asking too much of the card) the only solution would have been more powerful hardware.

So running the game at 1080p60 and encoding as you normally would for the stream is still yielding performance and usage issues?  Oh :( I have no idea then... the good news though it that means there may actually be a fix.  If it had been what I thought (just asking too much of the card) the only solution would have been more powerful hardware.

Lol, Upgrade from a gtx 1080?

Lol, Upgrade from a gtx 1080?

Yes.  a 1080 Ti, and/or (this would make more sense) a separate PC for encoding the stream

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes.  a 1080 Ti, and/or (this would make more sense) a separate PC for encoding the stream

Okay so update, Just changed my main display to one of my 1080p 60hz side panels and now it's flawlessly encoding and streaming....

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

@BlackHat2000 Like above mentioned, you could upgrade your GPU to a 1080Ti but then again getting another PC would be better if you are really into steaming plus hoping to be full time or at least make money out of your streaming.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Okay so update, Just changed my main display to one of my 1080p 60hz side panels and now it's flawlessly encoding and streaming....

There are two possibilities as I see it:

1. The tests did not work properly, and it was still running higher than 1080p60, or
  2. something about that monitor config is messing with it, and some software tweak will probably snap it back to working properly.  I do not know what that would be though.

So I guess playing at 1440p at 144Hz is really maxing out your GPU. So either you play on your side panel (1080p 60Hz) or you can upgrade your GPU/get another PC just for streaming.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

16 minutes ago, BlackHat2000 said:

@Ryan_Vickers Even after he change the settings, it's still running and capping at 144fps so it didn't stop at 1080p60fps you wanted for the test.

Spoiler