Can somone explain screen resolution to me?

Hello,

I recently build my computer and have started playing games with high and ultra graphics settings. However, they don't look as nice as videos I've seen of the same gameplay. So I wanted to know if resolution has a role to play in it. I can't distinguish the differences between a 480p video to a 1080p video, they all look the same. So is my problem the screen resolution or my inability to see any change in the video quality? 

What's the maximum resolution of your monitor? 

It won't be able to display resolutions higher than it's maximum

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

2 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

What's the maximum resolution of your monitor? 

It won't be able to display resolutions higher than it's maximum

1280 x 1024p, I play games at 720p, full screen makes the game view smaller than normal. My monitor can go up to 1810 x 1440p, but I don't go on that resolution. 

Your screen has a lower resolution than most youtube game demos. So it will naturally not look as good,  set your resolution in your game to the same as your monitor and it should be the best it can be.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, mr moose said:

Your screen has a lower resolution than most youtube game demos. So it will naturally not look as good,  set your resolution in your game to the same as your monitor and it should be the best it can be.

A problem with that though is that the game quality looks the same, just the field of view is reduced.

Just now, mr moose said:

most games i konw of auto set's res and grhapics quality

8 minutes ago, Kragos said:

I can't distinguish the differences between a 480p video to a 1080p video, they all look the same.

I think your problem is you need eye glasses.

1 minute ago, DeepShadow said:

most games i konw of auto set's res and grhapics quality

If that's the case then it has to be a windows setting.

2 minutes ago, Kragos said:

A problem with that though is that the game quality looks the same, just the field of view is reduced.

When you right click on the desktop and go to display settings,  what resolution is it set to there?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, emosun said:

I think your problem is you need eye glasses.

I do wear glasses

Just now, mr moose said:

If that's the case then it has to be a windows setting.

When you right click on the desktop and go to display settings,  what resolution is it set to there?

currenlty 1280 x 1024, but max can be 1810 x 1440

5 minutes ago, Kragos said:

1280 x 1024, I play games at 720p, full screen makes the game view smaller than normal.

3 minutes ago, Kragos said:

You might want to invest in a new screen. I had a 1280x1024 monitor 15 years ago.

I do wear glasses

maybe time for a new set then. if you cant see the difference between standard and high def video then your glasses aren't working

1 minute ago, Kragos said:

currenlty 1280 x 1024, but max can be 1810 x 1440

what is the reccomended res?

1 minute ago, Apepa said:

You might want to invest in a new screen. I had a 1280x1024 monitor 15 years ago.

I've had the monitor for 7 years now, but only recently did I have the computer to play games on. I spent enough money so far.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

maybe time for a new set then. if you cant see the difference between standard and high def video then your glasses aren't working

I think it is just something with my eyes, I don't see much change. Can you describe the differences in quality.

what is the reccomended res?

recommended is 1280 x 1024, which is what my monitor is currently on. I did try the higher resolution, but it was quite blurry most times and all the icons where very small.

Just now, Kragos said:

I think it is just something with my eyes, I don't see much change. Can you describe the differences in quality.

I had blur problems wirh my seconday screen at a time but after some water is was fine

480p looks like a vcr playing on an 80's television

1080 will look like most new flats screens you see at bestbuy

Yer, I haven't got any other ideas.    Play the game and enjoy it until you can afford a new monitor. 

I had blur problems wirh my seconday screen at a time but after some water is was fine

Do you mean cleaning the screen, or putting water in my eyes?

Just now, Kragos said:

Do you mean cleaning the screen, or putting water in my eyes?

no like cleaning the screen

Just now, DeepShadow said:

no like cleaning the screen

At the shops where you go test yur eyes they have speacial stuff to clean glases now those stuff u must use to clean yur screen they work 100% exelint

Just now, DeepShadow said:

At the shops where you go test yur eyes they have speacial stuff to clean glases now those stuff u must use to clean yur screen they work 100% exelint

I might buy some then, thanks

set the resolution you play on to the native resolution of the screen else you will get a blurry image by default.

also you will not see a big difference between the quality of different video simply because the monitor is too bad to display the resolution the videos offer.

i the budget is a problem you can find used 1080p screens on ebay for like 50 bucks or so