New qualcomm computer?

i remember linus talking about this but never had anyone mention it before so ye

@karneychen Please read the Thread below and if this meant to be in the Tech News & Reviews can you update to follow the guidelines below, 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Sounds cool till I reached the point were it's revealed it's a Windows 10S device. Bummer. I don't fancy the windows store in any way shape or form

My Gaming PC: 27833

8 minutes ago, AT0MAC said:

Sounds cool till I reached the point were it's revealed it's a Windows 10S device. Bummer. I don't fancy the windows store in any way shape or form

It can be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. But yeah, I'll say no to any product that comes with 10 S out of box. If enough people adopt S it risks them pushing UWP even harder...

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

If enough people adopt S it risks them pushing UWP even harder...

õ.0!

Windows S was probably a bad choice, nobody likes Windows Store and the "smartphone experience" on a laptop.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

There are quite a few things to like about this.

The screen appears to be good, the long battery is great, it's very portable... But it has two major drawbacks which sadly kills any enthusiasm I might have had for it.

1) It comes with Windows 10S.

I don't think I need to explain why this is bad. Even if you take the (limited time) offer and upgrades to Windows 10 Pro, you're still sending the message that Windows 10S is OK, which it isn't.

2) It costs 600 dollars for the cheapest model with 4GB of RAM.

If you want 8GB of RAM it costs 800 dollars (599 and 799 respectively to be more precise).

For 800 dollars I can get something far better.

For example this ZenBook with 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD and a quad core (hyperthreaded) i5-8250U, plus 256 Frosted Brown Sugar Cinammon flavored Pop-Tarts, and still have some money left!

What Asus, Microsoft and Qualcomm needs to do is reduce the price dramatically, something like 50%. A Snapdragon 835 computer with 8GB of RAM should not cost 800 dollars. It just doesn't make any sense when you look at other Asus products at that price point.

Secondly they need to get rid of Windows 10S. I get that this goes against Microsoft's goal of killing win32, but it's just stupid.

With the lack of software on the platform, Windows 10S is not for personal users. It's for schools that want locked down computers that are cheap and easy to deploy/manage. This is not cheap, and it is not for home users.

If they fix these things then I can see the concept taking off. ARM processors have reached a point where they are powerful enough for most tasks people do (Mainly light web browsing), but you can't just remove things and expect people to buy it. There needs to be some selling point.

i have no idea what this is doing in laptops and prebuilts :/