Did I just kill EVERYTHING on my motherboard?

Go to solution Solved by CDHoward,

I'd say your mobo took all the damage.

My system was stable.

z370e w/ 750w modular PSU. 1 GPU.

Shutdown, and unplugged -- waited -- and switched out the cables for Corsair's premium cables and SNAP, CRACKLE, POP!

Well, it was just a POP... somewhere over the I/O, and little smoke too.

The mobo was flashing blue before I disconnected the power.

Did I lose all -- GPU, RAM, M.2's and CPU or did the Mobo take the brunt of the damage? 

2 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

My system was stable.

Shutdown, and unplugged -- waited -- and switched out the cables for Corsair's premium cables and SNAP, CRACKLE, POP!

Did I lose all -- GPU, RAM, M.2's and CPU or did the Mobo take the brunt of the damage? 

Maybe, but probably not.   Swap the cables back and see if anything works.

Are the new cables the same as the old ones?  Like the same company and PSU model?

7 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

Corsair's premium cables

Did you use the RIGHT cables? It's annoying that they make different ones for different PSUs and some fit ones they don't work for.  

On 1/31/2018 at 5:54 PM, CDHoward said:

Fingers crossed. I’ll let you know. I’ll check the components before I get a replacement. Making a sacrifice to the computer gods tonight.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:55 PM, TheGlenlivet said:

Maybe, but probably not.   Swap the cables back and see if anything works.

Are the new cables the same as the old ones?  Like the same company and PSU model?

Yeah blinking blue and nothing is getting power. Cables were Corsair, PSU was Thermaltake. I swear this should’ve worked — everything was connected the right way — triple checked.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:00 PM, Evanair said:

Did you use the RIGHT cables? It's annoying that they make different ones for different PSUs and some fit ones they don't work for.  

Modular ATX cables “Premium” from Corsair.

5 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

Yeah blinking blue and nothing is getting power. Cables were Corsair, PSU was Thermaltake. I swear this should’ve worked — everything was connected the right way — triple checked.

Dude, corsair cables only work with corsair power supplies.  This one's on you.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2702-psa-on-mixing-modular-psu-cables-dont-do-it

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Team_RGB said:

Ok yeah. My build, my bad — any insights on the damage or just esoteric articles?

Pointing out the issue.  You used cables that were almost certainly clearly labeled as incompatible and now you are bitching out corsair.  The article explains how you killed it.

8 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

Some shoddy stuff in their lineup. This is a whole other level.

Damage level is probably severe, at minimum the motherboard is gone, cpu and m.2 are 50/50 and gpu is close to Schrödinger's cat levels of uncertainty 

8 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Damage level is probably severe, at minimum the motherboard is gone, cpu and m.2 are 50/50 and gpu is close to Schrödinger's cat levels of uncertainty 

So you’re saying the RAM has a chance? Lol I’m soooo screwed. I thought modular meant standardized. Feels like a marketing defect at the very least. I know I’m dumb. Hail corporate.

11 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

So you’re saying the RAM has a chance? Lol I’m soooo screwed. I thought modular meant standardized. Feels like a marketing defect at the very least. I know I’m dumb. Hail corporate.

If you are lucky only part of the motherboard 24 pin was cross pinned, the Dimms may be safe as they have their own power line

16 hours ago, Team_RGB said:

Ok yeah. My build, my bad — any insights on the damage or just esoteric articles?

For the record,

I think it's absolutely stupid that these cables aren't standardized between modular power supplies. What the heck is even the point of having modular power supplies to begin with if the cables aren't compatible? Because of this, you still can't just easily replace a PSU without redoing your cable management.

Things not being standardized these days really grinds my gears.

Henry Ford is rolling in his grave.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

It was an honest mistake on your part. Logically, you'd think that the cables would be cross compatible and standardized.

I don't blame you for making this mistake and I honestly think that this shouldn't be an issue at all anymore in 2018. All of this should be standardized by now and it's frankly disappointing that it's not.

I have my fingers crossed for you that it's only the motherboard that got damaged.

Good luck!

17 hours ago, Team_RGB said:

My system was stable.

To quote Adam Savage

"Once electronics start to emit the omnimous blue smoke; electronics don't tend to work anymore" by the sound of it it looks like your mobo got borked; is it possible to RMA it?

18 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

For the record,

I think it's absolutely stupid that these cables aren't standardized between modular power supplies. What the heck is even the point of having modular power supplies to begin with if the cables aren't compatible? Because of this, you still can't just easily replace a PSU without redoing your cable management.

Things not being standardized these days really grinds my gears.

Henry Ford is rolling in his grave.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

It was an honest mistake on your part. Logically, you'd think that the cables would be cross compatible and standardized.

I don't blame you for making this mistake and I honestly think that this shouldn't be an issue at all anymore in 2018. All of this should be standardized by now and it's frankly disappointing that it's not.

I have my fingers crossed for you that it's only the motherboard that got damaged.

Good luck!

Thanks -- what a way to learn a lesson! I'll let you know what happens when the new board comes in tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Tcrumpen said:

To quote Adam Savage

"Once electronics start to emit the omnimous blue smoke; electronics don't tend to work anymore" by the sound of it it looks like your mobo got borked; is it possible to RMA it?

I wish I knew exactly where that smoke came from -- couldn't find the source upon inspection. RMA -- maybe... a lot of moving parts, so to speak.

2 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

I wish I knew exactly where that smoke came from -- couldn't find the source upon inspection. RMA -- maybe... a lot of moving parts, so to speak.

If you can get it replaced under warrenty/RMA that is the best way to do thing

Nah, i don't think it would destroy all of your stuff.

Most likely gone : Motherboard & GPU (anything that is connected straight to the psu)

Unlikely : M2 & Rams

Most Unlikely : CPU

Why unlikely? The current needs to go to the motherboard power regulator first.

Unless you have a very high voltage or current spike (like lightning strike) it won't break those.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Nah, i don't think it would destroy all of your stuff.

Most likely gone : Motherboard & GPU (anything that is connected straight to the psu)

Unlikely : M2 & Rams

Most Unlikely : CPU

Why unlikely? The current needs to go to the motherboard power regulator first.

Unless you have a very high voltage or current spike (like lightning strike) it won't break those.

I examined the motherboard pretty closely, no immediate signs of the damage -- but I know it's there.

GPU -- yeah 'm braced for that one. I really don't want it to be.

Also, the PSU looks pretty dead to me too -- I guess that goes without saying.

I was troubleshooting this thing in my dreams last night, if you could believe it

just did this with an old PSU, blues are 12 and 5v that connect to yellow and red and grounds are black, white and brown and nothing exploded

but companies worth billions can't make standarized cables

zg9KRTS.jpg

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 2/1/2018 at 5:40 PM, aezakmi said:

just did this with an old PSU, blues are 12 and 5v that connect to yellow and red and grounds are black, white and brown and nothing exploded

but companies worth billions can't make standarized cables

zg9KRTS.jpg

That's great!

My favorite definition of "modular"

Computers. composed of software or hardware modules that can be altered or replaced without affecting the remainder of the system.

- Dictionary.com

On 2/1/2018 at 11:26 AM, Tcrumpen said:

To quote Adam Savage

Thinking about this quote made me laugh out loud on my way to work today. I think I'm thru most of the stages of grief. Thanks for this.

On 1/31/2018 at 5:54 PM, CDHoward said:

It split the damage with the PSU. 

GPU still works, same for the RAM, CPU, and M.2’s.

The machine is back, up, and running. 

Benchmarking tomorrow.

Thanks!

Benchmarking was higher than before the snafu -- BIOS update maybe? Huzzah!

Thanks for all the support!

IMG_0851.jpg