eGPU on a mid 2012 13" macbook pro?

TheJSTeam
Go to solution Solved by JulianZiegler,

As long as you have Thunderbolt 2 it should work(with a suitable enclosure). OSX is compatible with eGPUs

Hello everyone, this is the JS team, and I am thinking about getting a EGPU with my mid 2012 macbook pro 13". First of all, is this possible to get a eGPU on OSX? I have seen other posts on the forums about getting a eGPU with the same macbook, but all of them installed windows with Boot    camp. So, is it possible to use OSX with a eGPU? Also, will my supply list work?

Thank you!

- TheJSTeam 

2 minutes ago, TheJSTeam said:

Hello everyone, this is the JS team, and I am thinking about getting a EGPU with my mid 2012 macbook pro 13". First of all, is this possible to get a eGPU on OSX? I have seen other posts on the forums about getting a eGPU with the same macbook, but all of them installed windows with Boot    camp. So, is it possible to use OSX with a eGPU? Also, will my supply list work?

Thank you!

- TheJSTeam 

"Not intended for the use of Graphic Cards"
Lol

Jokes aside, I don't ever recall seeing an external CPU on a macbook, I think there is some issue with it on OSX and it would never work but I can't quite recall if that's the case or not. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

"Not intended for the use of Graphic Cards"
Lol

Jokes aside, I don't ever recall seeing an external CPU on a macbook, I think there is some issue with it on OSX and it would never work but I can't quite recall if that's the case or not. 

Ok thanks. I will continue my research. 

2 minutes ago, TheJSTeam said:

Ok thanks. I will continue my research. 

It's not gonna work, it needs Thunderbolt 3 which no MacBook has prior to 2016 models I believe.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's not gonna work, it needs Thunderbolt 3 which no MacBook has prior to 2016 models I believe.

I think the early 2015 MB pro has one, but nevertheless, does your macbook at least have something like Thunderbolt 2?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

I think the early 2015 MB pro has one, but nevertheless, does your macbook at least have something like Thunderbolt 2?

Yes, it does have thunderbolt 2.

As long as you have Thunderbolt 2 it should work(with a suitable enclosure). OSX is compatible with eGPUs

Just now, JulianZiegler said:

Ok thanks! Really looking forward to this ?

15 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

TB3 didn't exist on any Mac until the Late 2016 refresh.

That being said, an eGPU with a dual core CPU and over TB2 is going to affect performance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, Hugsy Malone said:

Thunderbolt 2 is about half the speed of TB3,so do expect some performance degradation, especially with higher-end GPUs

and even more if you run the display back.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Hugsy Malone said:

Thunderbolt 2 is about half the speed of TB3,so do expect some performance degradation, especially with higher-end GPUs

Ok thanks!

7 minutes ago, Hugsy Malone said:

TB 3 is already introducing "some" performance degradation AFAIK.

we are talking about a PCIe 4x link at best. TB 2 is only half of that so degradation in performance should be a lot worse. 

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

A 1050 will work fine. If you were connecting a 1070 or higher one can see it being a bit of an issue, but not a 1050. 

Ok Great!