SATA III SSD Help

TechUkie
Go to solution Solved by TheProfosist,

Alright thanks a lot everybody! I know I wont be getting more than SATA II speeds but if I just buy the 840 Evo I should be fine?

yea its backwards compatible with SATA II and RAPID should even still work as long as you have at least 2gb or ram.

So I own this motherboard: GA-EP45T-USB3P and I want to buy this SSD: 840 EVO. My motherboard only has (SATA II) ports so I have to buy a (SATA III) controller card in order to get the full speed of the SSD. These are the PCI slots of my motherboard.

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (Note 1)
  2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (The PCIEx16 and PCIEx8 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
  3. 3 x PCI Express x1 slot
  4. 2 x PCI slots

I am currently using both of the (PCI Express x16 slots), and one (PCI Express x1 slot).

Is it possible to use one of these (Cards: HERE) and still get full (SATA III) speeds? Or is it just not possible with my motherboard?

I don't think it will go in a regular PCI slot.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

I don't think that SATA II will compromise the speed of the ssd enough that you'll need to take measures such as buying a PCI SATA controller.

Sata II's cap is just under 350mb/s

Pick up a pci-e x1 card of a decent brand. You dont need raid for somethung like that a highpoint might be alright depending which chip their using.

You don't need a card for that.

What makes a ssd feel fast is the random read speed and random access time. Sata 3gb/s doesn't bottleneck this at all.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You don't need a card for that.

What makes a ssd feel fast is the random read speed and random access time. Sata 3gb/s doesn't bottleneck this at all.

This is true but if you have used a SATA III SSD before you will notice the performance difference, or at least I did. Noticing the difference between RAID 0 on a good controller vs a bad one is quite easy as well especially if their in the same machine.

This is true but if you have used a SATA III SSD before you will notice the performance difference, or at least I did. Noticing the difference between RAID 0 on a good controller vs a bad one is quite easy as well especially if their in the same machine.

The OP isn't running raid 0..

Also, there is no bottleneck for what makes the ssd feel fast so whatever you noticed is most likely the placebo effect.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The OP isn't running raid 0..

Also, there is no bottleneck for what makes the ssd feel fast so whatever you noticed is most likely the placebo effect.

The first sentence and second sentence are separate the first directly applies to him and the second is there to reinforce me being able to tell the difference. Either was it its placebo. Try installing a game and dealing with larger files, youll notice a difference.

The first sentence and second sentence are separate the first directly applies to him and the second is there to reinforce me being able to tell the difference. Either was it its placebo. Try installing a game and dealing with larger files, youll notice a difference.

Most people don't transfer large files most of the time. Yes, that indeed will be bottlenecked but I don't see how that's much of a problem unless you're doing that kind of stuff very often.

Most people don't transfer large files most of the time. Yes, that indeed will be bottlenecked but I don't see how that's much of a problem unless you're doing that kind of stuff very often.

Yep depends how you use it.

Alright thanks a lot everybody! I know I wont be getting more than SATA II speeds but if I just buy the 840 Evo I should be fine? 

It's fine. The ssdnow v300 is cheaper though: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a120g

yea its backwards compatible with SATA II and RAPID should even still work as long as you have at least 2gb or ram.

You won't even be able to get the full speed of your ssd outside of transferring massive files (which then it slows down if you're not transferring to another ssd so this point is null and void) or benchmarking the thing.

You won't even be able to get the full speed of your ssd outside of transferring massive files (which then it slows down if you're not transferring to another ssd so this point is null and void) or benchmarking the thing.

well you have copying or duplicating files to another spot on the same SSD, otherwise yes the speed only gets used with other ssds, raid arrays, really fast flash drives and that sort of stuff.

Edit: What about multiple transfers to or from the same ssd, like copying from multiple different places to the ssd at the same time or from the ssd to multiple places at the same time. One single transfer wont see the max but a few added up will get mighty close.

well you have copying or duplicating files to another spot on the same SSD, otherwise yes the speed only gets used with other ssds, raid arrays, really fast flash drives and that sort of stuff.

Edit: What about multiple transfers to or from the same ssd, like copying from multiple different places to the ssd at the same time or from the ssd to multiple places at the same time. One single transfer wont see the max but a few added up will get mighty close.

No, they really won't?

No, they really won't?

No they really wont what? Is that to the edit? If so I can show they would, especially reads.