HDD Slower than usual

dnf

So this problem has been going on for about 2 days now. Usually I am able to open folders without any delays. Now its like this:

60fbd7d7a5370a33950d9b9cb30301a4.gif

hi

How old is the drive? How's performance otherwise (i.e moving files from/to it)? Have you tried defragging? Check it's SMART status with something like CrystalDiskInfo to see if it could be dying.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

5 minutes ago, tikker said:

How old is the drive? How's performance otherwise (i.e moving files from/to it)? Have you tried defragging? Check it's SMART status with something like CrystalDiskInfo to see if it could be dying.

2ee008a88f9a74a75bb4fd6b016bc74e.png

somehow the slow disk is the only one with "good" status.

hi

I get that a little due buying and installing a WD Green hard drive for a secondary when I was a proper noob.

I didn't know they were slower than WD Caviar Blues.

9 minutes ago, CDHoward said:

I get that a little due buying and installing a WD Green hard drive for a secondary when I was a proper noob.

I didn't know they were slower than WD Caviar Blues.

These drives are from my old PCs since I couldnt afford new ones when I was building my new one.

hi

17 minutes ago, dnf said:

2ee008a88f9a74a75bb4fd6b016bc74e.png

somehow the slow disk is the only one with "good" status.

Not a super old drive then. It could still be failing, so making a backup of anything important on it wouldn't hurt. Otherwise I'd suggest first trying a defrag. Simple and it might help a bit (not sure if it could make things worse though).

Check the reallocated sector count. That sort of indicates when things are starting to die. Might want to check the other drives as well why it's saying caution ;)

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

@dnf, i am guessing that stands for DID NOT FINISH!.....talking about school huh....anyway, how often have you or ever done a disk cleanup? Have you installed the Windows update for the Specter and Meltdown vulnerabilities?.....this has caused many issues with disk reading. Have you scanned for malware? 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

4 minutes ago, Leonard said:

@dnf, i am guessing that stands for DID NOT FINISH!.....talking about school huh....anyway, how often have you or ever done a disk cleanup? Have you installed the Windows update for the Specter and Meltdown vulnerabilities?.....this has caused many issues with disk reading. Have you scanned for malware? 

I do have MBAM and I have not update to the spectre patch. and dnf stands for ducknotfly.

hi

6 minutes ago, dnf said:

I do have MBAM and I have not update to the spectre patch. and dnf stands for ducknotfly.

Okay, what about doing a disk cleanup? Did you remove the old drivers from the HDD before you moved it to the new build?.....sometimes when you take a HDD from one PC and use it in another PC you can get drivers doing weird things. Have you done a scan and fix on the disk to check for any issues on the sectors?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I have a great solution, you just won't believe it.

Ready for it 

get an SSD.

You have a very slow and old HDD get used to it. You can only sustain and push old hardware for so long until they just start to create problems that even the software engineers couldn't have thought would happen. Simply due to the fact that theirs to many variables when a consumer like us starts to install software that isn't coded the best. Which can then fuck with the very good coding of the OG engineers. Even if they code in protections to help alleviate the problems from said shitty code. I mean you can keep tinkering trying to fill the cache and then nuke it, and the same with the main storage to see if you flush out the faulty code slowing it down. 

But honestly buy a 500gb 860 EVO for 160 and be done with it. Or if your cheap wait for the 850 EVO to drop to 100 and get that. 

Good luck Mate!

You expect me to reply then you'd best QUOTE me so I can........thanks

Simple PC Parts list to reference for other Users:

Case: Meshify C

CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.8

Mobo: ASRock AB350 Pro4

Ram: 2 x 8gb (Corsair RGB Pro)

GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb - Clocks: Core @1386mhz, memory @2000mhz

Storage:

Boot drive - 120gb NVME Corsair MP500

Main Storage drive - 500gb 860 EVO

Archival/Backup drive - 2TB Black WD

Mouse: Logi M570 for work, and a G502 for gaming

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650 80+ Gold

OS: And of course Win 10 Pro, because Linux ain't fully baked yet.

Monitors: (27in monitors)

TN - VG278Q @144hz 

IPS - VP279Q-P @60hz