Speedfan refuses to change the RPM of my noisy chassis fan

pizzaboxer
Go to solution Solved by sanosuke001,

http://pinoutguide.com/Motherboard/mb_pwm_fan_pinout.shtml

If the digital control isn't connected that'd be my guess as to why you can't control it. Connect it to a different fan header on your motherboard if possible. If not, get a fan controller; you can get pci slot ones, 5.25" bay ones, ones that you just put inside the case and set once, etc.

So, I'm not sure whether to put this in this forum or the air-cooling forum, but since I'm trying to troubleshoot, I'll post it here.

Anyway, I have an Akasa fan, and I attached it to the back of my PC, if only for the fact that it wasn't so loud! I haven't bothered measuring how loud it is, considering I don't even have equipment that's dedicated to that, but yeah. I wanted to lower the RPM of my Chassis's fan in Speedfan. But for some reason, it doesn't work!

To prove my point, here you go (yeah sorry, my Snipping Tool skills aren't exactly the most artistic):

image.png.f194bbae86b6171a8b7f5bad2303ce0b.png

Pwm1 controls my main CPU fan. Pwm2/Pwm3 on the right column is supposedly meant to control the Chassis's fan, but for some reason it refuses to change, which I find quite confusing, because when I change the percentage of Pwm1, my CPU fan speeds lowers accordingly.

Now, I'm sure most of you are going to say

"oh, just go to Configure, Advanced Fan Control, select your fan with an accordingly temperature, and do it from there!"

Yeah, well, all that does is change the Pwm percentage automatically. Makes no difference.

I feel like this has something to do with a pin that's not available. I noticed how on the CPU's fan header, there's four pins, but on the fan header for the Chassis, there's only three pins, with the fourth pin being connected with a blue wire. I feel like it has something to do with that, however correct me if I'm wrong. And if you think it's just SpeedFan, or you have other alternatives for me to try, I'd be happy to try them.

I really want to keep this fan in, as it has a nice LED pattern. However, if I'm going to have the expense of a noisy system, I'd have to turn it down, and like I said, I don't want to do that.

Specs that I feel I need to mention

MoBo: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 (yes i know it's old)

Chassis fan: Akasa 2600 RPM Green LED Case Fan

If the digital control isn't connected that'd be my guess as to why you can't control it. Connect it to a different fan header on your motherboard if possible. If not, get a fan controller; you can get pci slot ones, 5.25" bay ones, ones that you just put inside the case and set once, etc.

Ever tried to set the chassis fan speeds in the BIOS instead?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

Hm, that's strange, The wires on my Akasa fans are red, black and yellow. Maybe that's an old fan thing? Maybe it's like what manikyath said, it could be a DC fan, which explains the red and black. And since my motherboard is several years old, and not one of those baller motherboards that's designed to take like, 5 RGB fans, it has one chassis fan header.

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Ever tried to set the chassis fan speeds in the BIOS instead?

Yeah, I'll take a look at what I can do in the BIOS.

1 minute ago, sanosuke001 said:

You don't need to use the chasis fan header; any old header will do.

Well, the chassis's fan header is the only header available, considering this board only has two of them, with one being used for the CPU.

11 minutes ago, xtremeguy2256 said:

oh, just go to Configure, Advanced Fan Control, select your fan with an accordingly temperature, and do it from there!"

what setting do you change it to?

16 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

Actually hold on, I took another look at the pinout, and maybe my Akasa fan, as well as my CPU fan, is wired like this:

Black  = Ground

Red = +12v

Yellow = Signal

Blue = PWM/Control, which totally makes sense, because the Akasa fan didn't have a 4 pin header, only a 3 pin header, with the blue wire missing.

This was a thread that got solved relatively quickly.

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

what setting do you change it to?

Well like I said, it doesn't matter what you change it to, as it just changes the PWM automatically, which is no use in this situation.

yeah, you might need to just grab a fan controller of some kind. or get a new fan that's not as loud. The controller is probably the cheaper of the two.

3 minutes ago, sanosuke001 said:

yeah, you might need to just grab a fan controller of some kind. or get a new fan that's not as loud. The controller is probably the cheaper of the two.

Mhm, I think a quieter fan would be enough as I'd have to buy a new fan anyway for that 4-pin header, and I wouldn't need to mess with the PWM.