I think I killed my PC

Malikia1012
Go to solution Solved by Malikia1012,
4 hours ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

ah well, thats the way things go sometimes.

Let us know if you run into trouble with the replacement board

Dont forget to mark it as resolved :)

Thanks well do

So on Sunday I wanted to grab my old resume out of my HDD and copy it to my SSD.  I don't keep my HDD in my PC so I proceeded to plug in the sata cable and power to copy it then unplug it again.  I plugged it in and WIN 10 did not see the HDD and I couldn't be bothered to dink around to make WIN see the HDD (I should write a new resume anyway).  So I turned off the PC and unplugged it from the power cable and removed the HDD.  When I go to restart my PC it starts to constantly reboot, and after about 2 or 3 reboots freezes on the BIOS Flash screen.  The only command the PC well accept is CLT + ALT + DEL, I can't even press DEL to get into my BIOS options screen.

I have tried unplugging both my SSDs (samsung evo 850 a 250 and 500gb )

re installing windows (it freezes on BIOS screen so it doesn't see the USB stick)

Unplugging everything but one stick of ram

re seating the cpu.

The PC Specs are 

I5 3450 (3rd gen)

Gigabyte H77M-D3H mobo

DDR3 665mhz 16gb (8 gb * 2)

gtx 970 4 gb 

Im afraid that somehow I cooked the mobo, but I have added and removed hard drives dozens of times.  Any help would be appreciated.

It sounds like an issue that I recently had with a bad PSU. Have you tried clearing CMOS?

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

It sounds like an issue that I recently had with a bad PSU. Have you tried clearing CMOS?

oh yes I forgot to state that , yes I did.

power supply eh.  Its brand new so that would be disappointing , at least the mobo is old 

4 minutes ago, Malikia1012 said:

oh yes I forgot to state that , yes I did.

power supply eh.  Its brand new so that would be disappointing , at least the mobo is old 

Do you have the old PSU to try or another motherboard you can test? It's all about narrowing down potential problems, as I'm sure you know.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 minute ago, Unimaginative Name said:

Do you have the old PSU to try or another motherboard you can test? It's all about narrowing down potential problems, as I'm sure you know.

unfortunately no, I sold my old PSU

Slightly disappointed with pc building at the moment.  This mobo I have in now is actually my old PC.  I bought a ryzen 5 1600x but the mobo I matched with it didn't work either (asrock ab350m pro4)  its out on RMA but that could take weeks to get back to me.  So at the moment I'm out a PC entirely 

On 1/29/2018 at 7:13 PM, Malikia1012 said:

unfortunately no, I sold my old PSU

Slightly disappointed with pc building at the moment.  This mobo I have in now is actually my old PC.  I bought a ryzen 5 1600x but the mobo I matched with it didn't work either (asrock ab350m pro4)  its out on RMA but that could take weeks to get back to me.  So at the moment I'm out a PC entirely 

So its not the PSU , I tested it at work and all outputs are fine.

13 hours ago, Malikia1012 said:

So its not the PSU , I tested it at work and all outputs are fine.

I'm thinking your boot priority maybe got messed up, but you can't get into the bios..

Is there a key you can press to get to a boot menu. Sometimes you can do that without going to the bios.

If not, I have 2 ideas.

First, you can force windows in safe mode by interrupting the boot process 3 times in a row.

Just kill the power or hit the restart button right while it's trying to boot.

Second, a much less jenky way is to boot from a windows USB installer to use the recovery options.

Even if you don't have a windows USB drive, you can download the media creation tool from the microsoft site and make one.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:50 AM, stateofpsychosis said:

I'm thinking your boot priority maybe got messed up, but you can't get into the bios..

Is there a key you can press to get to a boot menu. Sometimes you can do that without going to the bios.

If not, I have 2 ideas.

First, you can force windows in safe mode by interrupting the boot process 3 times in a row.

Just kill the power or hit the restart button right while it's trying to boot.

Second, a much less jenky way is to boot from a windows USB installer to use the recovery options.

Even if you don't have a windows USB drive, you can download the media creation tool from the microsoft site and make one.

Thanks Ill give it a shot, however I do have a button to go into boot options but as I said, my BIOS screen is frozen and it doesn't respond.  

I do like trying to get into safe mode I haven't tried that so I'll give it a go.

Also, I do have a Windows USB but , once again, since the BIOS is frozen it doesn't want to read it.

unplug everything from the motherboard, except the power to it, one stick of ram, and the cpu. (this includes removing your gpu).

try and start it, see if it gets any farther.

if that doesn't work swap the single stick of ram into another slot

Else {

try entering Q-flash using the End key

}

hold INSERT as you power on the computer, might get you POSTing and into the BIOS.

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

On 2/3/2018 at 4:18 AM, sikari2015 said:

hold INSERT as you power on the computer, might get you POSTing and into the BIOS.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:16 PM, ElSeniorTaco said:

unplug everything from the motherboard, except the power to it, one stick of ram, and the cpu. (this includes removing your gpu).

try and start it, see if it gets any farther.

if that doesn't work swap the single stick of ram into another slot

Else {

try entering Q-flash using the End key

}

Thanks all but Ive already scrapped the board, it just continually resets (even with nothing in it and swapping ram).    It was 5 years old and I guess had a good run.  Now I just got to wait for that AB350m pro 4 piece of crap to come back from RMA (however long that takes ......)

4 hours ago, ElSeniorTaco said:

Thanks well do