I don't love that Mining is in this section

Go to solution Solved by Dissitesuxba11s,

There was already a discussion on this but no final comment from LTT forum mods.

It just seems like folding and mining are diametrically opposed. Is this a pairing of convenience or logic?

convince 

because folding and mining is 'the same'

but mining is just for pure profit and folding is for research

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I 100% agree with this. In the past it was kinda logic because computing stuff, but since mining is fully commercialized by now, it doesn't make too much sense. 

@Whaler_99

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

My bad. The daft search function on this site rarely returns what I'm looking for. I guess I blame tags?

Either way, it isn't verry nice to put us in the same room. :-D

11 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

It just seems like folding and mining are diametrically opposed. Is this a pairing of convenience or logic?

Howd u make ur pfp

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

1 minute ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

My bad. The daft search function on this site rarely returns what I'm looking for. I guess I blame tags?

It was initially even traffic between Folding, Boinc and mining. When mining boomed, boinc and folding didn't necessarily disappear but was just less discussed. I think that the only reason that the forum would be split would be if there was enough folding/boinc posts that it would demand a separate forum; currently there is just not enough.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

It was initially even traffic between Folding, Boinc and mining. When mining boomed, boinc and folding didn't necessarily disappear but was just less discussed. I think that the only reason that the forum would be split would be if there was enough folding/boinc posts that it would demand a separate forum; currently there is just not enough.

So you're telling me that we need more posts on folding, eh? I feel like that could be accomplished.

6 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

So you're telling me that we need more posts on folding, eh? I feel like that could be accomplished.

If there is enough of a mix between the calculation programs that it becomes too cluttered, then they will likely consider change.

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If there is enough of a mix between the calculation programs that it becomes too cluttered, then they will likely consider change.

By the logic, Mining should have inherited their own section, no?

22 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

Folding@home for teams like EVGA gets you store credits to use in their online store.

i don't see the distinction.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Mining and folding should NOT be separated. I believe the primary function of this forum is to create a place where people can help others with technical issues. Regardless of whether you are mining for research or for cryptocurrency, mining is mining. People will come to the mining section for technical help, and the technical portion of both goals is nearly identical.

also, better to keep the forum simple. If you start creating new sections for every little difference in every topic it just becomes a convoluted mess that looks crappy for everyone

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

16 hours ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

By the logic, Mining should have inherited their own section, no?

The same argument can be said when the folding posts were the most dominant and mining was nothing but a whisper. There would also be some technical issues, mainly that it would take quite the work to separate the forum between folding, boinc and mining.

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s
Grammar edits

1 hour ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

GIMP.

Make me one plez

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

9 minutes ago, Fruitsnacc said:

Make me one plez

That's pretty ballsy. 

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Technically they are quite similar and not diametrically opposed. They are both distributed computing, both leverage GPU's, both rigs have to be built for 24/7 operation, both take large amount of resources. Also, many Boinc compute enthusiasts also mine to varying degrees (myself included).

What separates them is ideology. One is perceived to be for a good cause and the other is perceived as being bad. This is a technical forum though, and ideology is best left at the door.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

are the folder's getting butt hurt in here or something? This is an open section, if you guys wanna talk folding than talk folding. But in all honesty as much as you all despise hearing this, folding and block chain technology or "crypto-currencies" are very much one in the same, you may be all good in your hopes that folding is doing things for the greater good of science and helping to solve world diseases, which it may very well do, but block chain as much as you guys despise it and don't believe it (much like a lot of crypto guys don't believe folding is worth anything) could very well be doing good for the world in its own form.

Governments, even the Canadian government have purchased and own crypto currency. Banks, Federal Governments, large scale places around the globe are looking into using block chain technology to help and do good. But hey what do i know i'm not opposed to anything being folding, mining, gaming, jerking off or otherwise. /Butthurt

You know what, I am butt-hurt. Frankly, I don't care that people are mining. What they do in their own homes is up to them. But that doesn't mean I want to read through posts about how to mine more efficiently or how to fix this and that mining issue when those things don't apply directly to F@H or Boinc. The objective is different and the tips and processes are different.

Just now, Tiberiusisgame said:

But that doesn't mean I want to read through posts about how to mine more efficiently or how to fix this and that mining issue when those things don't apply directly to F@H or Boinc

Then don't click the topic to read it. However i think it won't matter because knowing that it is simply a topic being discussed regardless of your involvment is enough to trigger you.

System specs:

You're becoming awfully hostile in a civil environment, friend. Do you enjoy scrolling through spam to find the emails you care about? Wouldn't you be more frustrated if that information was supposedly being curated for topic relevance and you still had to sort through it?

If you're going to engage in defeatism about what compromise I might accept, at least attempt to consider an alternate perspective first. It's probable that some miners may not want to parse through folding posts.

You obviously have an attitude issue with mining and this is blinding you to how similar both hobbies are from a technical perspective.

It has been mining resources that have given me the information on how to best setup my particular GPUs for maximum efficiency, not Boinc resources. Yet it is Seti@Home that has predominately benefited from it.

And, many of the people on my Seti team are currently off mining at present. They tend to return when the crypto market tanks but I doubt they would if I treated them with contempt or hostility.

Lastly - because of all the Boinc users mining right now, if you did have a Boinc-only section then at present all it would consist of is a couple of posts a week asking if anyone else is still doing it. "Helloooooooooo...."    *echo*   *echo*   *echo*

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

While we understand the bad light mining has gotten recently and the wish to distance it from Folding and Bionc, it's not something we're going to do at this point.

We're not closed to changing things, but for now it's going to remain as-is.

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 1/31/2018 at 12:03 PM, Tiberiusisgame said:

You know what, I am butt-hurt. Frankly, I don't care that people are mining. What they do in their own homes is up to them. But that doesn't mean I want to read through posts about how to mine more efficiently or how to fix this and that mining issue when those things don't apply directly to F@H or Boinc. The objective is different and the tips and processes are different.

then don't click on the posts and start more posts regarding Folding, it's not that Mining has taken over the section it's that NO ONE POSTS ABOUT FOLDING anymore, the last post I saw about folding in here was someone asking if people still did it.