Sennheiser HD 598 SR

lastspace67117

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's

Would I need a dac/amp or anything or would the port directly on my mobo work

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread it's my first time posting.

Any help would be appreciated:) 

The port on the mobo or case would be okay. A dac and amp would provide a better experience tho

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

2 minutes ago, lastspace67117 said:

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's

Would I need a dac/amp or anything or would the port directly on my mobo work

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong thread it's my first time posting.

Any help would be appreciated:) 

I have a pair of HD 598's (The original ones w/ Brown and Cream colour scheme).

You do not need a DAC or Amp at all, to get a good experience with them. Most smartphones, and onboard motherboard Audio will work totally fine with them.

They are plenty loud without an Amp, so unless you love to CRANK them, way past comfort level, then you will be fine without an Amp.

In terms of DAC - if you have good quality source files (CD/FLAC/HD Audio/Super Audio CD, etc), then sure a DAC can be beneficial. But it's definitely not required.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I have a pair of HD 598's (The original ones w/ Brown and Cream colour scheme).

You do not need a DAC or Amp at all, to get a good experience with them. Most smartphones, and onboard motherboard Audio will work totally fine with them.

They are plenty loud without an Amp, so unless you love to CRANK them, way past comfort level, then you will be fine without an Amp.

In terms of DAC - if you have good quality source files (CD/FLAC/HD Audio/Super Audio CD, etc), then sure a DAC can be beneficial. But it's definitely not required.

I love the way the original ones look

Thank you for the help

Just now, lastspace67117 said:

I love the way the original ones look

Thank you for the help

I agree. They are "artistic" but still clean and high quality looking. They also don't look stupid, unlike a lot of "artistic" styled headphones.

I recently picked up the HD 6xx Massdrop Special Editions though, so I gave my 598's to my fiancee.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

No you don’t need a DAC/Amp, but one will improve your experience on most headphones. But there is a point where better headphones will give you a much better experience than a DAC/Amp with lesser headphones. For an example, if you got the HD6XXs or HD58Xs over the 598s, they will give you a vastly superior experience than 598s with a $100 DAC/Amp.

29 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

The port on the mobo or case would be okay. A dac and amp would provide a better experience tho

Just don't plant that seed of doubt into someone's head. Motherboard is fine and most people won't tell the difference. 

16 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Just don't plant that seed of doubt into someone's head. Motherboard is fine and most people won't tell the difference. 

I mean. I did, it was pretty slight though.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!