This is my planned build! What do you guys think? The website says there are errors, apparently the sound card won't fix even though there are three PCI Express 3.0 slots on the MOBO. If I have to I'll switch the case back to the Define R4 but I wanted to see if I could fix everything into a small form factor because I like small PC's. So I guess I'm asking if this would work! Love to hear your guy's thoughts so without further ado here's the link! I will update it as good suggestions roll in so feel free to check back later!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NerdNinja/saved/2xYd

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

This is my planned build! What do you guys think? The website says there are errors, apparently the sound card won't fix even though there are three PCI Express 3.0 slots on the MOBO. If I have to I'll switch the case back to the Define R4 but I wanted to see if I could fix everything into a small form factor because I like small PC's. So I guess I'm asking if this would work! Love to hear your guy's thoughts so without further ado here's the link! I will update it as good suggestions roll in so feel free to check back later!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/NerdNinja/saved/2xYd

The error is because the sound card is PCI... What is your budget, location and do you need peripherals or an OS?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

The soundcard uses PCI. not PCIE x16 I believe. (im not an expert, im just going off of what pcpartpicker has on the 'interface' section of the soundcard.)

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

The error is because the sound card is PCI... What is your budget, location and do you need peripherals or an OS?

My budget is kinda out there. my plan is to save up for this over the summer while I have work. Location is the US, and I do need both peripherals and an OS witch are on the list...

The soundcard uses PCI. not PCIE x16 I believe. (im not an expert, im just going off of what pcpartpicker has on the 'interface' section of the soundcard.)

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

What's the system being used for?

The high profile ram will not fit nicely under the cooler.

Why 2 ssd's?

Caviar blacks are not worth the money over cheaper barracudas.

Wait for aftermarket 290's.

Bad choice for a psu that's bare minimum if it even works.

You need an AIO for the Kraken G10. It's just a bracket.

Problems all around. 

My budget is kinda out there. my plan is to save up for this over the summer while I have work. Location is the US, and I do need both peripherals and an OS witch are on the list...

If you're not buying soon, plan later-- ~ 2-3 days before you buy. Parts and prices change frequently and any parts list you configure now will be quite irrelevant by then. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I would size up to the R4, get a full size, ATX motherboard, and change the soundcard to an ASUS Xonar DX, it's more expensive, I know, but it is well worth it and it uses PCI Express 3.0 4x

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

Why 2 ssd's?

Problems all around. 

If you're not buying soon, plan later-- ~ 2-3 days before you buy. Parts and prices change frequently and any parts list you configure now will be quite irrelevant by then. 

The 60Gb one is probably for caching,I would guess.

The 60Gb one is probably for caching,I would guess.

Actually it's for OS and the other SSD is for some programs that I want to run faster, for example I can change Minecraft so save worlds to the SSD instead of the HDD

Why 2 ssd's?

Problems all around. 

System use: #d Rendering and animation, Games such as BF4, COD, Minecraft Etc. 

SSD Problem: I want one for OS and one for some game saves. Just the saves if possible.

RAM: Suggestions?

R9 290: What exactly are the aftermarket R9's?

PSU: What would you recommend, I don't need a modular one.

NZXT Kraken: I did not know this what should I get?

And finnaly, Of course there's problems! Why do you think I'm here haha. I'm a noob so I need help haha.

Actually it's for OS and the other SSD is for some programs that I want to run faster, for example I can change Minecraft so save worlds to the SSD instead of the HDD

System use: #d Rendering and animation, Games such as BF4, COD, Minecraft Etc. 

SSD Problem: I want one for OS and one for some game saves. Just the saves if possible.

RAM: Suggestions?

R9 290: What exactly are the aftermarket R9's?

PSU: What would you recommend, I don't need a modular one.

NZXT Kraken: I did not know this what should I get?

And finnaly, Of course there's problems! Why do you think I'm here haha. I'm a noob so I need help haha.

You shouldn't need 2 ssd's for that. A single one would do. 

Aftermarket 290's use different coolers and will be out soon. Reference is what you chose and is what AMD sends out to manufacturers like Asus or XFX as a reference to modify and sell their own with a variety of different coolers and pcb's better than the original.

For example, 

Reference 290:

03401c9bfcf4af232031a75b9393de78.png

Aftermarket 290: e9fb9c0bf49f29479f85dfac6e62da6a.png

I'd recommend waiting aftermarket 290's to be on sale and see how they fare. I'd skip the Kraken G10 unless you're in a hurry. 

Depending on what programs you're using, you may be better off with the 780.

Is having a small form factor important?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You shouldn't need 2 ssd's for that. A single one would do. 

Aftermarket 290's use different coolers and will be out soon. Reference is what you chose and is what AMD sends out to manufacturers like Asus or XFX as a reference to modify and sell their own with a variety of different coolers and pcb's better than the original.

For example, 

Reference 290:

03401c9bfcf4af232031a75b9393de78.png

Aftermarket 290: e9fb9c0bf49f29479f85dfac6e62da6a.png

I'd recommend waiting aftermarket 290's to be on sale and see how they fare. I'd skip the Kraken G10 unless you're in a hurry. 

Depending on what programs you're using, you may be better off with the 780.

Is having a small form factor important?

Ok I kinda had that idea of what aftermarket meant but now I know for sure. 

But as for the small form factor It would be really nice for me to have if possible and I mean REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY nice as I will most likely move this PC around from time to time.. also by 780 I assume you meant one of nivida's gpu's? I've spent a lot of time pondering between Nivida and AMD and I belive AMD has better options for my use.

Ok I kinda had that idea of what aftermarket meant but now I know for sure. 

But as for the small form factor It would be really nice for me to have if possible. also by 780 I assume you meant one of nivida's gpu's? I've spent a lot of time pondering between Nivida and AMD and I belive AMD has better options for my use.

Most 3d programs tend to work better with Nvidia but again it depends on what programs you are using which is why you should tell us.

Most 3d programs tend to work better with Nvidia but again it depends on what programs you are using which is why you should tell us.

I plan to use Autodesk Maya and Inventor. possible some others but if so they will most likely come from Autodesk.

I plan to use Autodesk Maya and Inventor. possible some others but if so they will most likely come from Autodesk.

In that case the 290 is a solid choice. Wait for aftermarket coolers before planning.

In that case the 290 is a solid choice. Wait for aftermarket coolers before planning.

Thank you for your help! I updated the list so you can check it out if you want.

I recommend you should ditch the sound card and wait and see how you get on with the onboard one first then later you can always get a seperate sound card if you feel you need it.

look into SSHD for storage (Seagate made good ones) and you should only need 120 gig for O/S unless your putting other software onto C drive.

get a Gold rated PSU. If you liek the Evga ones look at the Supernova 750W Gold. or others.

Also look into small liquid coolers they will give you more room and look better. like a H80 or a Zalman LQ315 that kinda cooler should be ok.

the rest looks good. and i think if you want this now then the AMD stock R9 290 will be fine.

got to love Asus components

look into SSHD for storage (Seagate made good ones) and you should only need 120 gig for O/S unless your putting other software onto C drive.

120GB is plenty for both the os and your programs. 

and i think if you want this now then the AMD stock R9 290 will be fine.

Not really the thing is way to loud and hot for my use!