Burning smell from psu

Laurrius

After playing 10-15 mins of graphically high demanding games such as witcher 3,gta V and even Subnautica i can smell burning smell from my psu and after 5 more minutes my pc shuts down and u can't turn it on for about 10 mins, when i try to turn it on after 10 mins it says "Bios has been reset". Today i decided to clean the dust out of the psu, i tried to play the game again and the same thing happens but rather than shut downing it restarts. I'm already searching up for new psu and just wanted to ask you guys what could be the problem and if there's some way to fix that.

P.s when computer is idle or when i'm working, watching movies, playing games which doesn't require alot of power (League of Legends) there's no smell. When i'm playing Fortnite i think i can smell it a little bit when i put my nose near psu but it doesn't restart.

There's literally only one way of fixing this - getting a new Power Supply.

Honestly, burning smell from PSU is one of the worst things that can happen. Because if PSU goes then it can take every other component in your system.

My advice: stop playing games or doing heavy work on PC until you get a new PSU.

As mentioned, DON'T use your system until you get a new PSU. Dead PSUs can kill every component in your PC, they can even kill you.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

Make sure the psu fan spins and that air is moving through the power supply. If the power supply is installed with the fan on the bottom, make sure you don't have the pc on the carpet or some thick rug which would block air flow. Make sure the fan can push air inside the power supply.

It could be the fan is faulty or stuck and therefore not providing enough air flow through the power supply and that overheats the insides of the power supply and eventually the power supply turns off due to overheating.

It could also be that it's not really the power supply that makes the smell, but something else in your computer, and you smell it from the power supply because its fan pushes air outside the case.  If the psu fan works fine, then maybe open the case panel and run your computer for a bit and carefully touch the cpu heatsink and other heatsinks in your computer and see if they're hot, see if fans spin, try to pipoint the smell .

Don't even try to use a computer with a faulty PSU. By what your saying, your overloading the poor thing or the fan is dead. Note that I was having the exact same problem with my Asus U38N laptop, and using a multi adaptor fixed the problem (the laptop's power brick was 45W, and the multi adaptor can handle up to 90W so it only gets warm not scorching hot).

19 minutes ago, Armakar said:

As mentioned, DON'T use your system until you get a new PSU. Dead PSUs can kill every component in your PC, they can even kill you.

Seeing PSU explode is fun (still don't know how my Pentium 4 631 survived-the socket was charred).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I built a pc for my brother who used a power-supply case combo. The psu got supper hot and ended up killing the hdd and itself. 

1 hour ago, seon123 said:

Which PSU model is it?

I think it's Modecom Feel 1 600 atx

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Don't even try to use a computer with a faulty PSU. By what your saying, your overloading the poor thing or the fan is dead. Note that I was having the exact same problem with my Asus U38N laptop, and using a multi adaptor fixed the problem (the laptop's power brick was 45W, and the multi adaptor can handle up to 90W so it only gets warm not scorching hot).

Seeing PSU explode is fun (still don't know how my Pentium 4 631 survived-the socket was charred).

I shouldn't use computer even if i'm just going to do light work or watch a movie, even though there's no smell and psu isn't hot?

Btw fan was working fine.

1 hour ago, Laurrius said:

I shouldn't use computer even if i'm just going to do light work or watch a movie, even though there's no smell and psu isn't hot?

Btw fan was working fine.

Yes.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, Laurrius said:

After playing 10-15 mins of graphically high demanding games such as witcher 3,gta V and even Subnautica i can smell burning smell from my psu and after 5 more minutes my pc shuts down and u can't turn it on for about 10 mins, when i try to turn it on after 10 mins it says "Bios has been reset". Today i decided to clean the dust out of the psu, i tried to play the game again and the same thing happens but rather than shut downing it restarts. I'm already searching up for new psu and just wanted to ask you guys what could be the problem and if there's some way to fix that.

P.s when computer is idle or when i'm working, watching movies, playing games which doesn't require alot of power (League of Legends) there's no smell. When i'm playing Fortnite i think i can smell it a little bit when i put my nose near psu but it doesn't restart.

Dear sweet merciful Jesus don't even plug the thing in! I'm not so much worried about fire but a psu dieing like that could easily murder alot of system components... or catch fire