Friends screen is a 90's Mess

Go to solution Solved by Meag,

Nevermind, we ended up fixing the issue

So my friends monitor decided to go back to the 90's and add some colour to his screen, anybody know what the issue could be? Tried installing new drivers for the graphics card but had no affect, also tried a new monitor, it didn't have the rainbow issue and tried a different hdmi device on the monitor below and it worked.image.jpg 

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Is your friend's GPU overclocked? Also, did they use DDU to uninstall and reinstall the drivers?

4 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

So my friends monitor decided to go back to the 90's and add some colour to his screen, anybody know what the issue could be? Tried installing new drivers for the graphics card but had no affect, also tried a new monitor, it didn't have the rainbow issue and tried a different hdmi device on the monitor below and it worked.image.jpg 

Is the GPU crashed? Kinda looks like an HDMI error as well though.

Cryptocurrency hobbyist! xD

Currently mining Ethereum at 180 Mh/s with 6x GPUs.

Currently buying Stellar Lumens (XLM) and Tron (TRX).  

Currently pumping with Big Pump Signal.

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

Is your friend's GPU overclocked? Also, did they use DDU to uninstall and reinstall the drivers?

They used the tool that was located on nvidia's website to uninstall the drivers. It is not overclockeded. This was a issue before reinstalling the drivers.

1 hour ago, RedwoodAyy said:

Is the GPU crashed? Kinda looks like an HDMI error as well though.

Any advice?

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

1 hour ago, ShadowArk said:

Any advice?

Go into any Nvidia overclocking software; such as Afterburner. Check if the core clock is locked at 300 mHz.

If so, sudo a soft restart in the command prompt.

Actually, try this. (Recommended you have integrated graphics as well.)

Device Manager > Display Adapters > Your GPU > Disable (DON'T DO THIS IF IT SAYS IT WILL STOP THE DEVICE FROM FUNCTIONING.)

You should get a flicker

Enable

If it boots to a black screen, boot to BIOS and load with a low resolution driver and restart the computer, or boot from Safe Mode (F8)

Cryptocurrency hobbyist! xD

Currently mining Ethereum at 180 Mh/s with 6x GPUs.

Currently buying Stellar Lumens (XLM) and Tron (TRX).  

Currently pumping with Big Pump Signal.

Ok so you tried another cable and that worked? Just use that cable then? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

i'd suggest these:

- different cable, and ports on gpu and display if possible

- DDU and reinstall drivers

- try a different display with the system

- open cmd as admin and run "sfc /scannow"

- try running off of on-board graphics if available

- further swapping around of parts if spares are on hand.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

i'd suggest these:

- different cable, and ports on gpu and display if possible

- DDU and reinstall drivers

- try a different display with the system

- open cmd as admin and run "sfc /scannow"

- try running off of on-board graphics if available

- further swapping around of parts if spares are on hand.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok so you tried another cable and that worked? Just use that cable then? 

Tried different cables, didn't change anything. Used the cable on another device and work fine, plugged pc into a different display and it worked fine, plugged a different device into monitor and it worked fine. Already reinstalled the drivers and don't have any parts in hand.

The only time it happens is when he is connected with that PC to that monitor. All other devices work perfectly fine without issues, the same for the HDMI cable.

I've had 2 Graphics cards die on me in the past, and they both looked like that. It's weird that it works OK with a different monitor.

58 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

The only time it happens is when he is connected with that PC to that monitor. All other devices work perfectly fine without issues, the same for the HDMI cable.

Is the graphics card trying to run the monitor at the wrong refresh rate?

Just now, Apepa said:

Is the graphics card trying to run the monitor at the wrong refresh rate?

Nope, the refresh rate is correct, tried changing it to be sure when I was troubleshooting earlier but didn't change anything.

33 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

Already reinstalled the drivers and don't have any parts in hand.

read more carefully:

42 minutes ago, manikyath said:

DDU and reinstall drivers

its not so much the reinstalling, but the DDU bit, makes sure your computer doesnt remember any settings either ;)

20 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

Nope, the refresh rate is correct, tried changing it to be sure when I was troubleshooting earlier but didn't change anything.

If it's not the PC, it's not the Monitor, and it's not the cable, then it has to be something Software/Firmware related. Drivers, or something with EDID. Have you tried Uninstalling the Monitor in Device Manager?

1 hour ago, ShadowArk said:

Tried different cables, didn't change anything. Used the cable on another device and work fine, plugged pc into a different display and it worked fine, plugged a different device into monitor and it worked fine. Already reinstalled the drivers and don't have any parts in hand.

then it sounds like the monitor is screwed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 1/28/2018 at 9:22 AM, ShadowArk said:

Try going to the Nvidia control panel (right click the desktop to find it), go to change resolution under display, and try changing the colour depth around.

It looks like a borked GPU to me, but I've seen odd colours like that when a computer was set to the wrong colour depth only in that case it only happened in certain games.

Worth a shot though.

Nevermind, we ended up fixing the issue