Can’t boot laptop. Need help

Shadowdiamond201

I just got a brand new HP 15-ay039wm and I turned it off, went to bed and now I can’t get it to boot. It will start, with a screen that says “Preparing Automatic Repair” then go black and stay like that. I really need help please tell me a fix.

Sounds like a hard drive problem. Have you tried to reinstall windows?

Also do you hear the hard drive clicking repeatedly without stopping when its on?

1 minute ago, Keppla Gaming said:

Sounds like a hard drive problem. Have you tried to reinstall windows?

Also do you hear the hard drive clicking repeatedly without stopping when its on?

No clicking noise and no I haven’t tampered with any of the windows files

Just now, Shadowdiamond201 said:

No clicking noise and no I haven’t tampered with any of the windows files

If there is no clicking then the hard drive is fine and it might just be corrupt windows files or a corrupted install.

Maybe a dumb question, but just to rule the possibility out: How did you turn it off? Did you cut it's power?

Just now, Tosa said:

Maybe a dumb question, but just to rule the possibility out: How did you turn it off? Did you cut it's power?

Dumb reply. I pressed the power button

1 minute ago, Tosa said:

I don't think cutting power would do that unless it was in the middle of an update..

6 minutes ago, Keppla Gaming said:

I don't think cutting power would do that unless it was in the middle of an update..

So I’ve got a dumb question of my own. Since I got this laptop on Christmas Day. The standard warranty that comes with computers should still be good. But how do I send It in for repairs? We got it from this EBay page. https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-15-6-Laptop-i3-6100u-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-DVD-Bluetooth-WiFi-Webcam-Gaming-PC/182931047821?epid=1378523420&hash=item2a978a458d:g:mYQAAOSw3FNZlyi3

1 minute ago, Keppla Gaming said:

It could do that, but that's why the file system has journaling, so it can (hopefully) correct the errors. So it's unlikely to cause permanent harm, but you could still lose data.

4 minutes ago, Shadowdiamond201 said:

Dumb reply. I pressed the power button

Just a single press and not holding it, I presume, in which case I don't think that's the cause.

If you have another computer and a USB flash drive that you don't mind having erased and use that for booting into the Windows 10 installer, then rather than installing Windows, you could use that for troubleshooting the existing system. Maybe it'll be able to fix the issue. Otherwise, you'll just have to reinstall Windows, I'm afraid.

5 minutes ago, Shadowdiamond201 said:

So I’ve got a dumb question of my own. Since I got this laptop on Christmas Day. The standard warranty that comes with computers should still be good. But how do I send It in for repairs? We got it from this EBay page. https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-HP-15-6-Laptop-i3-6100u-8GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-DVD-Bluetooth-WiFi-Webcam-Gaming-PC/182931047821?epid=1378523420&hash=item2a978a458d:g:mYQAAOSw3FNZlyi3

Through the seller you bought it from..

Hmm, the laptop has a HDD in it. That means it's sensitive to movement, and dropping it while it's on means things like this will happen soon, but not right away. It should ideally remain sitting still on a desk while it's on and the HDD spinning. Just keeping it on your lap will reduce the HDD's lifespan, though it probably doesn't die while it's brand new simply because you have it on your lap.