Will a Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler cool an i5 8600k?

the title says my first question but my second question is will a Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler be able to cool an i5 8600k?

will it be enough to cool it?

and if so will it be enough to cool it when its overclocked?

I probably won't overclock it until near the end of its life. So if it will cool it when its overclocked thats great but if its enough to cool it with no overclocking I would also like to know.

thank you for your time!

NH-U12S Max TDP on LGA1151 socket: 95W & OC**
i5-8600K TDP: 95W

So yes, it will be cool enough without OC, if you want to OC Noctua says this:

**Our recommendations assume that the cooler is installed in a typically equipped, properly ventilated system. If you are using particularly hot components inside your system, it may be necessary to use stronger case ventilation to ensure sufficient CPU cooling performance.

well I will also be using an msi 1080ti gaming x

in an nzxt s340 elite case

so if I add one or two case fans it might be ok?

Yep, it will be okay. But if I were you I would go 4k with that 1080ti. Than you will have a GPU Bottleneck and have no need to overclock.

I'm going 1440p ips g-sync 165hz

is that good or a waste of money?

AOC AGON AG271QG 27in G-Sync 165Hz IPS Gaming Monitor

The nh d15 should be fine

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, tinitnt010 said:

I'm going 1440p ips g-sync 165hz

is that good or a waste of money?

Just a heads up, this dude never, ever quotes afaik

6 minutes ago, JayB said:

Yep, it will be okay. But if I were you I would go 4k with that 1080ti. Than you will have a GPU Bottleneck and have no need to overclock.

4 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

Thank you so much for all your help today Damascus.

Please, use this.  I'm going to sleep now, 4am localScreenshot_20180125-041755.thumb.jpg.888a610db5e3bdf4ab1e329d79da76e2.jpg

The NH-U12S is plenty for a moderate oc. Why are you looking at this cooler as opposed to the NH-D15 mentioned in an earlier thread?

Please don't make multiple threads for the same discussion. They have been merged. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-U12S is plenty for a moderate oc. Why are you looking at this cooler as opposed to the NH-D15 mentioned in an earlier thread?

Please don't make multiple threads for the same discussion. They have been merged. 

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

the NH-d15 didn't fit in my case so I moved to the NH-U12S an I was wondering if it would be enough to cool my CPU. Thank you so much for your time and I will quote in future discussions.

the NH-d15 didn't fit in my case so I moved to the NH-U12S an I was wondering if it would be enough to cool my CPU. Thank you so much for your time and I will quote in future discussions.

The NH-D15 fits in the S340 Elite with the fans lowered but will block the top pcie slot.

The NH-D15S fits with the fan lowered and clears the top pcie slot.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

The NH-D15 fits in the S340 Elite with the fans lowered but will block the top pcie slot.

The NH-D15S fits with the fan lowered and clears the top pcie slot.

The NH-D15S isn't on PC Case gear and I'm ordering all my parts from there so that its all in one shipping order. If the NH-U12S will cool my CPU just fine I'm not too worried also its a bit cheaper.

will the CPU with the NH-U12S run very hot when its not overclocked?

The NH-D15S isn't on PC Case gear and I'm ordering all my parts from there so that its all in one shipping order. If the NH-U12S will cool my CPU just fine I'm not too worried also its a bit cheaper.

will the CPU with the NH-U12S run very hot when its not overclocked?

There's ample room to oc with the NH-U12S. The 8600k should run very cool under stock clocks. 

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

There's ample room to oc with the NH-U12S. The 8600k should run very cool under stock clocks. 

Thank you so much for your time you've been very helpful.

just one more question is it worth an extra A$120 to get the AOC AGON AG271QG 27in G-Sync 165Hz IPS Gaming Monitor over the ASUS MG279Q 144Hz 27in IPS FreeSync Eyecare Gaming Monitor?

1 minute ago, tinitnt010 said:

Thank you so much for your time you've been very helpful.

just one more question is it worth an extra A$120 to get the AOC AGON AG271QG 27in G-Sync 165Hz IPS Gaming Monitor over the ASUS MG279Q 144Hz 27in IPS FreeSync Eyecare Gaming Monitor?

Go with G-Sync if you're using an Nvidia graphics card or FreeSync for AMD. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Go with G-Sync if you're using an Nvidia graphics card or FreeSync for AMD. 

Ok thanks again.

I just saw the be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler and its half the price of the NH-U12S and with a TDP of 150W and the Noctua one is only 95W but double the price why?

4 hours ago, tinitnt010 said:

I just saw the be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler and its half the price of the NH-U12S and with a TDP of 150W and the Noctua one is only 95W but double the price why?

Pure Rock is usually referred as budget cooler compared to be Quiets performance coolers (Dark Rock and Dark Rock Pro). Noctua is premium brand overall, meaning they don't have budget coolers. U12S is just 120mm tower of their line-up. According to reviews they are about same in performance and noise levels, with U12S being better under OC. But just marginally. So its really up to you. I'm biased as I'm with my 2nd Noctua cooler, U14S with dual fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, tinitnt010 said:

TDP is measured differently across manufacturers and isn't a reliable spec for comparing performance. Stick to benchmarks and in-depth reviews instead. 

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7154/quiet-pure-rock-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/Pure_Rock/6.html

The NH-U12S is the better cooler and Noctua charges a premium for the build quality and 6 year warranty. 

The Pure Rock would be enough but wouldn't allow much room for oc'ing. If you want something cheaper, the SR Slim performs similarly to the NH-U12S: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35596/be-quiet-shadow-rock-slim-cpu-cooler

If you're pinching pennies, the H7 is a cheaper alternative still: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33457/cryorig-h7-cpu-cooler

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Pure Rock is usually referred as budget cooler compared to be Quiets performance coolers (Dark Rock and Dark Rock Pro). Noctua is premium brand overall, meaning they don't have budget coolers. U12S is just 120mm tower of their line-up. According to reviews they are about same in performance and noise levels, with U12S being better under OC. But just marginally. So its really up to you. I'm biased as I'm with my 2nd Noctua cooler, U14S with dual fans.

Whether 'they're about the same' or not depends on how you look at things. The difference between the Pure Rock and NH-U12S is similar to the difference between the NH-U12S and NH-U14S. The way I look at it, they're ~1.5 tiers apart with each tier representing a notable improvement in performance. The main 4 tiers I tend to look at are:

1. High-end 92mm towers + low/mid end 120mm's including the PR Slim, PR, 212x, etc.

2. Mid-high end 120mm tower including the Kotetsu, SR Slim, NH-U12S

3. High end 120mm fat heatsinks, 140mm towers including the Mugen 5, True Spirit 140m, NH-U14S

4. Air cooler kings + 280mm AIO's including NH-D15S, PH-TC14PE, R1 Ultimate

There are plenty of coolers that slip in between tiers since it's a gradient rather than hard tiers. Also, coolers tend to shift places a bit depending on surrounding components.

The Pure Rock is on the low end of 120mm towers and is the worst performance out of the big 3 including the 212x and H7 while the NH-U12S sits at the high-end of slim 120mm towers and is performs more consistently at this level due to the mounting hardware unlike some cheaper 120mm's that have plenty of outliers when it comes to benchmarking performance.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

TDP is measured differently across manufacturers and isn't a reliable spec for comparing performance. Stick to benchmarks and in-depth reviews instead. 

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7154/quiet-pure-rock-cpu-cooler-review/index6.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/Pure_Rock/6.html

The NH-U12S is the better cooler and Noctua charges a premium for the build quality and 6 year warranty. 

The Pure Rock would be enough but wouldn't allow much room for oc'ing. If you want something cheaper, the SR Slim performs similarly to the NH-U12S: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35596/be-quiet-shadow-rock-slim-cpu-cooler

If you're pinching pennies, the H7 is a cheaper alternative still: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/33457/cryorig-h7-cpu-cooler

Whether 'they're about the same' or not depends on how you look at things. The difference between the Pure Rock and NH-U12S is similar to the difference between the NH-U12S and NH-U14S. The way I look at it, they're ~1.5 tiers apart with each tier representing a notable improvement in performance. The main 4 tiers I tend to look at are:

1. High-end 92mm towers + low/mid end 120mm's including the PR Slim, PR, 212x, etc.

2. Mid-high end 120mm tower including the Kotetsu, SR Slim, NH-U12S

3. High end 120mm fat heatsinks, 140mm towers including the Mugen 5, True Spirit 140m, NH-U14S

4. Air cooler kings + 280mm AIO's including NH-D15S, PH-TC14PE, R1 Ultimate

There are plenty of coolers that slip in between tiers since it's a gradient rather than hard tiers. Also, coolers tend to shift places a bit depending on surrounding components.

The Pure Rock is on the low end of 120mm towers and is the worst performance out of the big 3 including the 212x and H7 while the NH-U12S sits at the high-end of slim 120mm towers and is performs more consistently at this level due to the mounting hardware unlike some cheaper 120mm's that have plenty of outliers when it comes to benchmarking performance.

Ok thanks. I might get the NH-U12S because the be quiet shadow rock is only A$30 cheaper and I've heard the mounting brackets are very good on Noctua coolers.

18 minutes ago, tinitnt010 said:

Ok thanks. I might get the NH-U12S because the be quiet shadow rock is only A$30 cheaper and I've heard the mounting brackets are very good on Noctua coolers.

Yep, noctua's mounting hardware is a pleasure to work with.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep, noctua's mounting hardware is a pleasure to work with.

Does this parts list look ok? anything you notice immediately wrong with it? or any suggestions.

Intel Core i5 8600K

Corsair Vengeance LED CMU16GX4M2C3000C15 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4

Microsoft Windows 10 Home 32bit/64bit USB Flash Drive

NZXT S340 Elite Matte White

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X 11GB

Corsair RM750x 750W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

Western Digital WD Blue 3TB WD30EZRZ

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD

MSI Z370 Gaming Plus Motherboard

MSI Herald-AC Intel AC 8265 WiFi Card

Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler

1 hour ago, tinitnt010 said:

Does this parts list look ok? anything you notice immediately wrong with it? or any suggestions.

The psu is overkill. A good 550w would be plenty already. https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37411/xfx-ts-series-gold-550w-power-supply

Other than that, it looks fine.