Radeon aquires former Nvidia and Synaptics Execs

BluJay614

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3025180/amd-hires-former-nvidia-and-synaptics-execs-to-head-up-radeon-graphics-arm

Okay, hopefully I can get things right THIS TIME.

ANYWHO, we all remember that the last head of Radeon, Raja Koduri, left AMD for Intel to help with their graphics department. Now, AMD has hired Mike Rayfield and David Wang for their own graphics department.

AMD has hired two new chiefs to head up senior executive roles at its Radeon graphics division, chiefs who are no strangers to the chip sector. 

Mike Rayfield, a former executive at Micron and Nvidia, has now been made senior vice president and general manager of the Radeon Technologies Group, along with David Wang, formerly of Synaptics, as senior vice president of engineering.

They both seem to have some background to brag about and should know what they are doing. Perhaps this could bode well for fans of the Red team?

Rayfield, who boasts more than 30 years of technology industry experience, will be responsible for all aspects of strategy and business management for AMD's graphics business including consumer graphics, professional graphics, and semi-custom products, AMD said.

Meanwhile, Wang, who has more than 25 years of graphics and silicon-development experience, will now be responsible for all aspects of graphics engineering, including the technical strategy, architecture, hardware, and software for AMD graphics products and technologies.

Both will be reporting directly to Lisa Su, AMD's CEO, who seems very positive about the new acquisition based on her statement. If some improvements in the Radeon line up come along, it will probably be much further out, and probably not in the next couple years.

Both of the new senior execs will report direct to president and CEO Lisa Su.

"Mike and David are industry leaders who bring proven track records of delivering profitable business growth and leadership product roadmaps," said Su in a statement.

She continued: "We enter 2018 with incredible momentum for our graphics business based on the full set of GPU products we introduced last year for the consumer, professional, and machine learning markets. Under Mike and David's leadership, I am confident we will continue to grow the footprint of Radeon across the gaming, immersive, and GPU compute markets." 

The upside: AMD's stock was up a bit when they did this. The down: AMD is under a class action lawsuit over claims that they artificially inflated their stocks via a alleged misleading statement concerning their venerability with Spectre. How things turn out are still yet to be seen.

At the time of the announcement, AMD's shares closed at $12.94, which was up 2.29 per cent.

However, just last week AMD was slapped with a class-action lawsuit over claims that it artificially inflated its stock price by keeping schtum about the fact that the high-profile Spectre flaws affect its chips, as well as Intel's (and ARM's, for that matter). 

A filing to a US court in the northern district of California made by Pomerantz LLP on behalf of shareholder Doyun Kim claimed that AMD's initial reaction to the flaw, which saw it declare that Spectre posed "near zero risk" to its chips before admitting that its processors were, in fact, affected by both variants of the vulnerability, resulted in AMD's stock prices plummeting. 

"As a result of defendants' wrongful acts and omissions, and the precipitous decline in the market value of the company's common shares, plaintiff and other class members have suffered significant losses and damages," the filing said.

More on the subject from Segment Next and HEXUS

https://segmentnext.com/2018/01/24/amd-ceo-lisa-su/

http://www.hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/114608-two-industry-veterans-join-amd-radeon-technologies-group/

3hrs and no replies.... is this thing still on?

I'm quite happy for AMD. Was very excite when they launched Ryzen for the competitive performance but was a little disappointed when they fell slightly short on the graphics end.

Nothing I experienced myself, I'm sure VEGA holds up just fine for the average gamer. But in all I cant wait to see what the future holds for AMD with this acquisition! I cant really comment on the law suit tho, I didn't follow that. shame on me

Probably the only reason why I'm posting is because its a first for being first. However I don't have a clever inb4 saying..... wish I was a clever fellow :/

So AMD employ two new people and the media want to focus on bogus laws suits and make dodgy unrealistic claims about stock prices.  It's no wonder we have so many debates about integrity regarding these companies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

lmao

Everytime i hear about Koduri leaving i can't help but laugh because we all know why

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Short term this doesn't really change a damn thing. It'll take a couple of years to see any real big changes.

AMD has increased the budget for RTG so that's a start. They need more chip designs per product cycle. A measly two is appalling. Nvidia has six I believe; just for comparison's sake. AMD doesn't need six but four would be nice.

They probably also need two other things: a new GPU architecture from scratch and a new MCM physical link technology. I don't think there is any future for interposers in the long run. It's fine as a pioneer and stopgap solution but too expensive and clunky to ever really become feasible.

Vega 7nm and Navi are obviously still on the table and are pretty much set in stone at this point. At best slight tweaking to be done as it's supposed to be taped out soon.

I wonder what their intentions for semi custom are. I'm not sure if it's merely a ploy to reduce management overhead by folding it into RTG or if they're scaling back their goals for semi custom.