What is dead? PC not booting.

Fibeus

So I own this computer which I've been upgrading over the past month and I was finally coming to the point of switching platform and moving to z370 from z97. Huge step. New CPU new RAM. Well I didn't actually get to make the upgrade yet, but as things got it needs to happen sooner. 

Let me explain. My PC used to house a z97 board from gigabyte paired with a G3258, 8GB DDR3 and a GTX 960. Served pretty good for gaming with my HEAVY overclock on both cpu and gnu and was stable for over 2 years. Now less than a month ago I purchased a GTX 1060 and installed it on the system. Still ran stable with my CX500 PSU. That was until 2 days ago. I powered off the system, which I don't usually do and restarting it I found every RGB option to have been reset, and the system not posting. Fans spinning normally, LEDs lit normally, just the lighting profiles reset. I don't know what to make of it. I am upgrading anyway, but I have to know.. Is it CPU? Monitor isn't showing anything. Is it motherboard? Is it both? Is it PSU? Would the system power on at all? I know it's not GPU. I tried plugging the monitor to mobo from onboard graphics but no luck. Removed CMOS battery.. reseated. You know the drill... 

If you know what's dead on the system I'd love to know!

First thing I would do is pull the 1060,and suspect a memory module went bad.If you have a known good extra stick just pull the ones you have in the board and pop the good one in and see if it post.If it does..trial and error backwards to determine which stick died.

6 minutes ago, Surgeman said:

First thing I would do is pull the 1060,and suspect a memory module went bad.If you have a known good extra stick just pull the ones you have in the board and pop the good one in and see if it post.If it does..trial and error backwards to determine which stick died.

I've already pulled out the 1060, I will try a working stick and return with the results

6 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

I've already pulled out the 1060, I will try a working stick and return with the results

No. I tried all sticks of DDR3 in different combinations with different slots. No luck.

2 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

Ok good deal...I have the 1060 6gb also.It's been a stable card so far.It just doesn't like my Dell 4k monitor,and I loose my 3840x2160 resolution when it goes in to sleep mode from time to time.But it did the same thing with my R9 270X also so I know it's monitor related.I have a feeling your problem is simple as a bad stick of ram.

Just now, Fibeus said:

No. I tried all sticks of DDR3 in different combinations with different slots. No luck.

And that's with a known good stick?

8 minutes ago, Surgeman said:

And that's with a known good stick?

Ye. Perfectly working one. Not working. Tried all slots. So RAM is a no no.

17 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

Ye. Perfectly working one. Not working. Tried all slots. So RAM is a no no.

Ok...keep that for trial and error use.Have you tried clearing the CMOS at the jumper on the motherboard?If so..I would pull the heatsink or water block which ever you use,and I would lift the CPU out of the socket and and re-insert it a couple of times and see if it post.If the system is powering up more than likely the power supply is still ok.

11 minutes ago, Surgeman said:

Ok...keep that for trial and error use.Have you tried clearing the CMOS at the jumper on the motherbaord?If so..I would pull the heatsink or water block which ever you use,and I would lift the CPU out of the socket and and re-insert it a couple of times and see if it post.If the system is powering up more than likely the power supply is still ok.

Yes I'll do that when I purchase new thermal paste, cause I ran out :P I just wanna know it's working. It would make me able to maybe resell the system after a full upgrade, granted I'd never do that If the system isn't perfectly stable. I don't know what the chances are for a reseat to fix the issue. I think the CPU is really tight in there! Anyhow. I'll give it a go.

Just now, Fibeus said:

Yes I'll do that when I purchase new thermal paste, cause I ran out :P I just wanna know it's working. It would make me able to maybe resell the system after a full upgrade, granted I'd never do that If the system isn't perfectly stable. I don't know what the chances are for a reseat to fix the issue. I think the CPU is really tight in there! Anyhow. I'll give it a go.

First thing I would clear CMOS.If it's a bios hang that will default it back,and it may post with no problem.I have seen some Celerons die out but not many.

2 hours ago, Surgeman said:

First thing I would clear CMOS.If it's a bios hang that will default it back,and it may post with no problem.I have seen some Celerons die out but not many.

I already tried clearing the CMOS before even posting :) It didn't work. So I'll just try reseating the CPU. Could the motherboard be dead as well? I mean. I don't really know if it is cpu or mobo or both. I have no spare parts for z97 so I can't say..

3 hours ago, Fibeus said:

I already tried clearing the CMOS before even posting :) It didn't work. So I'll just try reseating the CPU. Could the motherboard be dead as well? I mean. I don't really know if it is cpu or mobo or both. I have no spare parts for z97 so I can't say..

Re-seated CPU. Nothing.

2 hours ago, Fibeus said:

Re-seated CPU. Nothing.

What's your exact motherboard make and model and do you have a post code?

You'll either see one on the motherboard LED if it's a high end board or you'll see your post code on the bottom right of your monitor while trying to boot.

Describe what's happening a bit more too.

Are you getting a bios screen at all?

Is anything at all showing on the monitor before it dies again?

Are fans in the system spinning while you try to start?

Does is start up half way and then just shut down right away?

If it's the last one, I'd change up that thermal paste because that would most likely be an overheating CPU.

Had to fix my dad's old computer the other day that way by cleaning and applying new paste to the intel stock cooler which made me feel dirty, but had to be done :P

57 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

What's your exact motherboard make and model and do you have a post code?

You'll either see one on the motherboard LED if it's a high end board or you'll see your post code on the bottom right of your monitor while trying to boot.

Describe what's happening a bit more too.

Are you getting a bios screen at all?

Is anything at all showing on the monitor before it dies again?

Are fans in the system spinning while you try to start?

Does is start up half way and then just shut down right away?

If it's the last one, I'd change up that thermal paste because that would most likely be an overheating CPU.

Had to fix my dad's old computer the other day that way by cleaning and applying new paste to the intel stock cooler which made me feel dirty, but had to be done :P

Thanks for the response, I stated many of the things you ask before in this thread. For one. I get nothing on the monitor. PC doesn't post. No video on display. No bios message. No nothing. Fans are spinning, LEDs are working. I was using the z97p-d3 from Gigabyte. Pretty mid to low end when it came to z97 boards. I'm getting no beeps or flashes from the led it has, I cleared CMOS. I think mobo or cpu is dead. Maybe both. I think its not PSU. But.. That's all my info.

7 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

Thanks for the response, I stated many of the things you ask before in this thread. For one. I get nothing on the monitor. PC doesn't post. No video on display. No bios message. No nothing. Fans are spinning, LEDs are working. I was using the z97p-d3 from Gigabyte. Pretty mid to low end when it came to z97 boards. I'm getting no beeps or flashes from the led it has, I cleared CMOS. I think mobo or cpu is dead. Maybe both. I think its not PSU. But.. That's all my info.

Yea, you're on the right track I'd say.

Probably the motherboard or CPU.

Now, it could be the PSU. I've had one fail where the fans still spun but the CPU power socket was doing nothing.

That's a nice segway to what I want you to try next actually. Reseat every cable (on both ends if it's a modular power supply). This could be as simple as a loose CPU power cable.

4 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Yea, you're on the right track I'd say.

Probably the motherboard or CPU.

Now, it could be the PSU. I've had one fail where the fans still spun but the CPU power socket was doing nothing.

That's a nice segway to what I want you to try next actually. Reseat every cable (on both ends if it's a modular power supply). This could be as simple as a loose CPU power cable.

Well when I reseated the CPU I actually un-builded the PC and rebuilt it just to make sure I didn't miss any cable. Even made the cable management better :P But nothing. I really hope its not the PSU, I'm changing everything else. Hopefully I don't need to change that too just yet.  Already got the z370 aorus ultra gaming, waiting on the i5 8600k and that sweet ddr4. No budget left for PSU :P 

26 minutes ago, Fibeus said:

Well when I reseated the CPU I actually un-builded the PC and rebuilt it just to make sure I didn't miss any cable. Even made the cable management better :P But nothing. I really hope its not the PSU, I'm changing everything else. Hopefully I don't need to change that too just yet.  Already got the z370 aorus ultra gaming, waiting on the i5 8600k and that sweet ddr4. No budget left for PSU :P 

hmm.. that's not really the smartest way to build.

For the record, the PSU is the most important part of your entire system, because a PSU can fry every component in your system if it blows.

Everyone overlooks the PSU as if it's not an important part. It is.

If you are going to keep using that PSU, make sure it's at least 80+ bronze or higher. 

2 minutes ago, stateofpsychosis said:

hmm.. that's not really the smartest way to build.

For the record, the PSU is the most important part of your entire system, because a PSU can fry every component in your system if it blows.

Everyone overlooks the PSU as if it's not an important part. It is.

If you are going to keep using that PSU, make sure it's at least 80+ bronze or higher. 

I know dude. Thanks. Not overlooking. It is 500watt, modular, 80+ bronze, corsair. That's why I decided to keep it.  I've been building computers for a long time. I'm not stupid, I think :P Thanks for the advice

14 hours ago, Fibeus said:

I was reading back through your post and I'm thinking the CPU is gone.Best way to tell is leave the heat sink off and power it on and see if the CPU conducts at all.Just don't leave it on long.That CPU isn't much price wise being the age.You can always grab an I7 and slap on it if it's done on the cheap.

16 hours ago, Fibeus said:

I know dude. Thanks. Not overlooking. It is 500watt, modular, 80+ bronze, corsair. That's why I decided to keep it.  I've been building computers for a long time. I'm not stupid, I think :P Thanks for the advice

Alright, just making sure.

I've seen some people use some really sketchy power supplies thinking it's not as important as other parts. Even people who have been building for a while.

Something I try to mention when it comes up.

On 1/25/2018 at 3:21 PM, stateofpsychosis said:

Alright, just making sure.

I've seen some people use some really sketchy power supplies thinking it's not as important as other parts. Even people who have been building for a while.

Something I try to mention when it comes up.

On 1/25/2018 at 6:12 AM, Surgeman said:

I was reading back through your post and I'm thinking the CPU is gone.Best way to tell is leave the heat sink off and power it on and see if the CPU conducts at all.Just don't leave it on long.That CPU isn't much price wise being the age.You can always grab an I7 and slap on it if it's done on the cheap.

Just received my i5-8600k, waiting for the 16GB DDR4 sweetness. So no big deal anymore. I think its the CPU. Removing the heatsink and powering on the computer I have. to say I heard nothing when it came to cpu. I have seen people kill computers by using bad PSUs against my advice. I wouldn't do that :P