new latop

Hi everyone!

my sister would like to upgrade her system

she mostly uses it to watch netflix and read files out her laptop and often she has several tabs open at once

for her usage I guess she doesnt really need a new laptop i guess only increase the amount of memory ram and maybe empty the temporary files folder/cookies (when she visits me im planning on formating her pc and install windows 10 as well) and that should make her laptop be like new once again

but that is only my opinion and that´s why I´m here

what do you guys think and if she should really upgrade to a newer laptop which model she should get

something not too expensive preferably maybe a budget around 700 euros

thanks in advance

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-23 at 00.32.45.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

Hi everyone!

my sister would like to upgrade her system

she mostly uses it to watch netflix and read files out her laptop and often she has several tabs open at once

for her usage I guess she doesnt really need a new laptop i guess only increase the amount of memory ram and maybe empty the temporary files folder/cookies (when she visits me im planning on formating her pc and install windows 10 as well) and that should make her laptop be like new once again

but that is only my opinion and that´s why I´m here

what do you guys think and if she should really upgrade to a newer laptop which model she should get

something not too expensive preferably maybe a budget around 700 euros

thanks in advance

If it's not in warranty anymore open it up see if the RAM is soldered or there is an empty DIM, see if you can't swap the hdd out for and ssd and she'd be good to go and if not then you'll have to look for a new one but if all she does is watch netflix and read files she might be better off with a tablet.

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

thanks for the advise everyone!

when she arrives here in two weeks or so

ill have a look at her laptop

it´s for sure not in the warranty time anymore, she bought it back in 2012 when she visited USA

now she is visiting me in Germany and would like to make her laptop better

as in Brazil this things cost your soul 

but for what she does with her system I guess she only needs to upgrade her memory ram which I have to see which model is

because as her system is from all the way back in 2012  there is a chance that it might is probably ddr3 maybe dd2

then i have to find out if her motherboard is compatible with ddr3 if it has ddr2 and improve from the actuall 4GB to at least 8GB

but around 700 euros

which models of laptop you guys think that she would be happy with 

or around this price range there isnt much difference in performance when making a comparison on the system that she has on the moment?

3 minutes ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

thanks for the advise everyone!

when she arrives here in two weeks or so

ill have a look at her laptop

--SNIP--

then i have to find out if her motherboard is compatible with ddr3 if it has ddr2 and improve from the actuall 4GB to at least 8GB

If you can get her to take a picture of the model number sticker on the bottom of the laptop, possibly located under the battery compartment, I can usually find a service manual for you, or at least tell you what is upgradable in the laptop before she arrives. Personally, if all she does is Netflix and chill web browse, then bumping it to 8GB RAM and throwing in an SSD will be her best bet, and probably give her another 2-3 years ish of use.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

she has just sent me the picture 

but I think you are right

for what she generally does with her laptop

if possible to add an SSD and upgrade the ram and a new operational system

she will the thrilled with the  difference in performance

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-23 at 11.06.13.jpeg

i just checked those information to find out which model and on the uper picture it only has informations about the battery ;(

here follows the model

asus k55a

but something that im wondering is the memory ram

on the other picture that she has sent me her computer only has 4gb of ram

and on the description that i found on the internet says that this model should have 8gb

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-k55a-ds51-15-6-core-i5-3230m-8-gb-ram-750-gb-hdd/specs/

that´s interesting

but at least now we know that she can upgrade her amount of ram in her laptop

i just dont know yet about the ssd

if it has a m.2 port or the space for a ssd

and thanks for the help

WhatsApp Image 2018-01-23 at 11.30.11.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Marcelo Valerio said:

Good morning @kirashi !

do you think  that i found it out correctly or those items above won´t be compatible with her  laptop?

Based on it being an ASUS K55A-si50301p laptop, I'd say you're spot on with the RAM there, and any old SATA based SSD will do just fine.

RAM & SSD upgrades -- http://www.crucial.de/deu/de/upgrade-kompatibel-mit/ASUS/k55a

Sadly, ASUS does not provide publicly accessible service manuals like Lenovo, HP, and Dell do, so I can't find you one of those, but if it's got an easy-to-access panel on the bottom, that should slide off with a screw or two and you'll be able to access the RAM and drive slot.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)