Looking for advice on reusing old PCs (some new parts) for Backup/NAS/Server build

I hope I'm posting this in the right place and properly. If there is another spot that'd be better for this topic or anything please let me know :)

[Cross-posted from r/buildaPC]

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

I would like to use this for a NAS/Backup/Media Server. In order of function priority it'd probably be Backup then NAS funtion then Media Server. I want to be able to backup my PCs individual data daily/weekly, offload the more long-term storage files on my main PC to this box, and ideally rip and store my DVD/Blu-Ray movie collection onto it so my family and I don't have to play the "where's the Disc?" or "how long is this movie? (since it's not written on the disc)" games anymore.

I don't mind if I would need/want to use two of these PCs to accomplish these things since I'm just rescuing them from going to recycling from my work anyway and I'll definitely be changing out the PSU, Case, and probably coolers on them (if they are good enough to be used) for this purpose.

If gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

No Gaming planned for these PCs currently since I'm the only one who games (only when I have time) and I can do that on my main PC)

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

Not sure really, hoping to stay under $500 to get started but I'm willing to end up spending more since I'll need a bunch of storage and want a nice solid solution.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

USA

Post a draft of your potential build here (specific parts please).

Pics of the PCs I'm considering repurposing: https://imgur.com/a/Dx2W4

Server options

• Dual Xeons (not sure what model exactly)
  • 4gb DDR2 Ram
  • Intel Server Mobo
  • Notes: Not thinking I'll use either of these but I have the option so I thought I'd list it.

i7 Options

• i7 960 CPU w/stock cooler
  • 12-16gb DDR3 Ram
  • Basic Intel Motherboard
  • AMD V7800 GPU
  • Notes: Most likely candidate, I have two of the same pretty much. Not a big fan of the GPUs since they're noisy but hey, they're free.

General notes

• I didn't list storage since none of them will come with anything aside from maybe a 240gb intell SSD or two. I'll be purchasing whatever makes sense for the server build I'm doing probably at least couple Seagate IronWolf drives for the main storage.

• I didn't list the PSUs either since I would be getting new ones as these are around 10 years old now and a couple failed before they were decommissioned.

Provide any additional details you wish below.

I've build regular PCs before but never a NAS/server so any tips/tricks/advice would be great.

I'm mainly concerned about whether this hardware is worth keeping and using for such a build or not since it'll be recycled if not in the next few days but I welcome any opinions or pointers in the right direction as far as OS and Software choices for this setup.

I've been considering FreeNAS OS (or UnRaid), ShadowProtect for the Backup software, and Plex for the media side of things but I'm just really starting my research on all this so I'm open to most anything. Tips on converting a disc library to a digital one could be handy as well.

Any help/opinions are welcome! If I missed any important info let me know and I'll edit it in and reply.

Thanks!

If you're just looking for a NAS, an old Dell OptiPlex would do a good job. I've got one running that does excellent. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

if the i7 system has on-board graphics, take out the GPU.

past that, i'd say stuff some disks in it, a small SSD to install your OS on, and toss freenas on it.

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

If you're just looking for a NAS, an old Dell OptiPlex would do a good job. I've got one running that does excellent. 

Thx for the tip :)

I'm mainly looking to see if I can re-use these old PCs I've got for this project with maybe a Case and PSU upgrade/swap. Hoping maybe I can use this as a Media Server too so yeah...

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if the i7 system has on-board graphics, take out the GPU.

past that, i'd say stuff some disks in it, a small SSD to install your OS on, and toss freenas on it.

Good point, thanks :)

I'm not sure if it does or not but I'll be sure to check when I get a chance.

That was pretty much my plan, I'm just in the begining stages of research on this and was hoping someone could point out any issues I might run into with these base components while I try and set up the solution I'm looking for.

Also not sure if I need one box for the Backup/NAS stuff and the other for the Media Server stuff or if I can get away with just one since I hear the Media server duties can be quite demanding on the CPU...

1 minute ago, royalba94 said:

Also not sure if I need one box for the Backup/NAS stuff and the other for the Media Server stuff or if I can get away with just one since I hear the Media server duties can be quite demanding on the CPU...

if the media center duties are too demanding cpu-wise, i'd just suggest going for a SMB share and using a seperate box to handle the media side of things either way.

15 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if the media center duties are too demanding cpu-wise, i'd just suggest going for a SMB share and using a seperate box to handle the media side of things either way.

Thanks :) I'll have to admit I'm not sure what an SMB share is tho :/

Is it where I'd use one box for all the storage and then the other would pull from the storage box over the network to do the media stuff?

I googled it real quick but didn't come up with an easily understandable answer right off...

2 minutes ago, royalba94 said:

Is it where I'd use one box for all the storage and then the other would pull from the storage box over the network to do the media stuff?

I googled it real quick but didn't come up with an easily understandable answer right off...

SMB is the protocol windows uses to share files between computers, either trough home group, or by specificly making shares.

11 hours ago, royalba94 said:

What I do with my media is store it on the FreeNAS machine (which only hosts a few network shares) and connect to and access it from my devices. I've tried Plex (for like a minute) and I was able to add a library that was stored in a network location, so you can still use Plex with a more powerful machine running it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2