RAM unstable?

Go to solution Solved by Manmeyco,

Well, I bumped up the CPU voltage a drop (from 1.375 to 1.38125) and I haven't had a crash since. I think it's all good now. ^_^

I have my PC that I built, and being a Ryzen fan and all that, I decided to overclock it. First came CPU (Ryzen 3 1200 and CM Masterliquid 120 lite) using Ryzen Master. Using Prime95 as a stress tester, I got it to 3.975 GHz at 1.35625v. Then RAM (GeIL Super Luce RGB 4GBx2 2400), also with Ryzen Master. For some reason, even though it was supposed to run at 2400 with timings of 16-16-16-36, I had it running at 2133 15-15-15-36 (might've been because I messed around in the BIOS before getting Windows). Anyways, so tried OCing to 2666, but got a BSOD. So I rebooted and tried aiming lower, at 2400, which worked fine. Then I tried dropping the timings to 14-14-14-34, which got me an even worse BSOD and a BIOS that kept on crashing, and after many restart attempts, a system that refused to even get to getting the ASUS logo on screen (I have an Asus X370-F motherboard). After unplugging, removing RAM and battery on the mobo, and replacing everything, I got it running back on the 15-15-15-36 timings. Then at some point, I decided to adjust the VDDCR SOC voltage. Not sure if I adjusted it before the first crash or because of it, but either way, now, about once daily the screen goes black and keyboard turns off, but everything else stays on (including my mouse and RGB on mobo and RAM), and of the 4 Q-leds in the corner the RAM one (orange) flashes. I've since then adjusted the SOC voltage to everything between 1.000 and 1.175, with no luck (it comes stock at 0.850). Now I'm going to keep it running at stock to see if the problem was overclocking. Odd thing is, I had it doing nothing but running Prime95 for a full day with no crashes, but as soon as I started using it, within the next 4 hours I had 2 crashes.

So my main question is, WHY IS IT CRASHING? I ran memtest86 which came up error-free, scoured forums, uninstalled aura sync, NOTHING. Keeps on happening.

And more as a side question, why do my overclocks in Ryzen Master never stay after a reboot? After every reboot I have to open it up and re-apply my profile.

Thanks for any help!

My build: | CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 1200 OC 3.8 GHz Ryzen 5 3600 | CPU COOLER - Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti | MOBO - Asus ROG Strix X370-F Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero | RAM - GeIL RGB 2400 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 2x8GB | SSD - R.I.P. Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB Corsair Force MP510 M.2 960GB | CASE - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Phanteks P500A RGB | PSU - Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W | COOLING - Bunch of Rosewill 120mm fans | KEYBOARD - G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 | MOUSE - Cooler Master Devastator II MSI Clutch GM08 | MONITOR - Asus 27" VP279Q-P OC to 65hz, Gigabyte 27" M27Q 170Hz | OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

1 hour ago, Manmeyco said:

And more as a side question, why do my overclocks in Ryzen Master never stay after a reboot? After every reboot I have to open it up and re-apply my profile.

Thanks for any help!

Because you are using the Devil's software instead of using the BIOS like a good Christian.

So my main question is, WHY IS IT CRASHING? I ran memtest86 which came up error-free, scoured forums, uninstalled aura sync, NOTHING. Keeps on happening.

You haven't mentioned what you're doing with the actual DRAM voltages. 

Is your BIOS up to date?

5 hours ago, Apepa said:

Because you are using the Devil's software instead of using the BIOS like a good Christian.

I've tried using the BIOS but it's way too confusing. In Ryzen Master everything is easy.

6 hours ago, Apepa said:

You haven't mentioned what you're doing with the actual DRAM voltages. 

Ryzen Master doesn't have that option, so never touched them.

I'm going to update my BIOS now, and read up on how to change the voltages. Any recommendation how to do it?

Once all's done, I'll update if there's any more crashes.

My build: | CPU - AMD Ryzen 3 1200 OC 3.8 GHz Ryzen 5 3600 | CPU COOLER - Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120 MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti | MOBO - Asus ROG Strix X370-F Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero | RAM - GeIL RGB 2400 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 2x8GB | SSD - R.I.P. Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB Corsair Force MP510 M.2 960GB | CASE - Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Phanteks P500A RGB | PSU - Seasonic Focus+ Gold 550W | COOLING - Bunch of Rosewill 120mm fans | KEYBOARD - G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 | MOUSE - Cooler Master Devastator II MSI Clutch GM08 | MONITOR - Asus 27" VP279Q-P OC to 65hz, Gigabyte 27" M27Q 170Hz | OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

8 minutes ago, Manmeyco said:

I've tried using the BIOS but it's way too confusing. In Ryzen Master everything is easy.

You should do it via the BIOS. Look up how to change it on your model and since you already know what is stable on your machine it shouldn't difficult as you only have to enter it in the bios settings. It has the potential to be way more stable and less annoying since it doesn't rely on the software.

8 minutes ago, Manmeyco said:

I'm going to update my BIOS now, and read up on how to change the voltages. Any recommendation how to do it?

Once all's done, I'll update if there's any more crashes.

Voltages can be tricky. Look up what people are using in general and have a bash at it. 

Try increasing the timings a bit and look if it still crashes.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

4 hours ago, Manmeyco said:

That's the thing with "easy tools", they're easy to use but you won't get the best results. 

4 hours ago, Manmeyco said:

read up on how to change the voltages. Any recommendation how to do

That's going to be an issue too. Every chip is different, so your RAM modules may not respond well to whatever voltages your motherboard is deciding to apply to it automatically. Again, this is the issue with "easy tools".

Changing DRAM voltage is just the same as changing CPU voltage. You start with everything stock, increase clock speeds by small increments until it becomes unstable, then increase voltage until it becomes stable again. Just watch the temps.

As of now, after raising RAM voltage (to 1.2v according to cpu-z,) using it for most of the time since this morning, never had a crash like what I had before. So I overclocked the GPU (Gigabyte gtx 1050 ti OC), and after I came home today, the computer looked like it was running (lights on etc.) but the screen refused to wake and nothing I pressed did anything. In order to fix it I had to do a hard reset. Thought it had to do with raising gpu memory to +900 MHz (using msi afterburner), so lowered to +800, and it happened again but the screen froze while using it. Then lowered to +750, and happened again. Now I'm at +650 and waiting.

I just feel like my computer is very temperamental :/

Did another RAM test and came up clean. Gonna run Prime95 and Furmark all night to test stability.

As of now, after raising RAM voltage (to 1.2v according to cpu-z,) using it for most of the time since this morning, never had a crash like what I had before. So I overclocked the GPU (Gigabyte gtx 1050 ti OC), and after I came home today, the computer looked like it was running (lights on etc.) but the screen refused to wake and nothing I pressed did anything. In order to fix it I had to do a hard reset. Thought it had to do with raising gpu memory to +900 MHz (using msi afterburner), so lowered to +800, and it happened again but the screen froze while using it. Then lowered to +750, and happened again. Now I'm at +650 and waiting.

I just feel like my computer is very temperamental :/

It's not temperamental, you're overclocking it (and not really doing it the right way). If it crashes all the time with everything on default, that's when it's temperamental.

Overclocking the graphics card will also need higher voltages.

And if you're overclocking everything you need to check your PSU is sufficient.

I wouldn't be attempting such aggressive oc on my gpu considering how much one cost to replace your lucky to find them at any relatively acceptable value in the first place.

Tweaking,... it's fun but most rush...

10-Series overclocking only gives you an extra "up to 15%" and usually less,... as opposed to 20-30% of yesteryear..GPU-Boost 3 does 90% of the work taking you to near max already, manual overclocking GTX10's mainly give 5-10% extra.

GPU VRAM Overclocking you mentioned... starting so high and working backwards... it's counter-intuitive.

Add low amounts, test for periods, stable, add more, test, stable, add more, the more you add, the longer you test!

Not just setting 700+ and guessing it's stable...

ACTUALLY NAIL IN A STABLE CPU OC before changing something else, this is how you get LOST, and have to start over.

Why add fuel to a fire if the fire was already out of control.... Nail down your system for daily overclocks being stable,... then push other things.

Advice - also write specifics down if your software does not save profiles, even motherboard bios overclocking, having notes comes in handy.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Ya so ran Prime95 for a while, totally fine. Furmark however crashed so lowering clock a bit.

And for the record, I didn't start so high. I did the proper way, but then forgot to do long-term stability tests, so everything looked fine. And I haven't had any crashes yet, so I must've done something right while messing around some more yesterday.

Still no crashes...so combination of BIOS update, voltage adjustments, and clock speed fine-tuning solved it, apparently. o.O^_^

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 1:03 AM, Manmeyco said:

the computer looked like it was running (lights on etc.) but the screen refused to wake and nothing I pressed did anything. In order to fix it I had to do a hard reset.

This is happening again. Usually when I leave the computer running for a while. Screen is black, keyboard lights don't turn on, but mouse is on and PC itself looks like it's running. Only way to get it to respond is a hard reset. Always have Prime95 running, if it makes a difference.

Well, I bumped up the CPU voltage a drop (from 1.375 to 1.38125) and I haven't had a crash since. I think it's all good now. ^_^