AT2020 USB mic has static sounds

Xplod2064

Hello I recently picked up a AT2020 USB and it works fine and all but I have noticed that there is static sounds coming through it and it has a bit of echo? I can't even change the gain though windows.

Any suggestions?

41 minutes ago, Xplod2064 said:

Hello I recently picked up a AT2020 USB and it works fine and all but I have noticed that there is static sounds coming through it and it has a bit of echo? I can't even change the gain though windows.

Any suggestions?

Hi, may be a ground loop. Check your usb cable, check if your computer is grounded correctly. If you can try on a laptop on battery to see if there is any change.

@Xplod2064

I've been getting the same issues on my AT2020 XLR, I put mine through a blue Icicle and get the same issues. It's really annoying cause it only happens every now and then, creates some really funky noises. 

Just now, Mr Bilbo said:

@Xplod2064

I've been getting the same issues on my AT2020 XLR, I put mine through a blue Icicle and get the same issues. It's really annoying cause it only happens every now and then, creates some really funky noises. 

Check what i said before.

And keep in mind that every mic have a noise level, sometimes it's very low sometimes not, static mic like the AT2020 have more noise than dynamic mic, plus the amp (48v) can cause ground loop too...

@Belzebuth

Cheers, I'll probably check that later actually. Seems like it could be the case, cause from time to time I get static through my headphones as well without the mic.

Ill bet money youve got it a decent distance away from you so its automatically turning the gain up so loud to pick you up that it sounds awful and is picking up random interference.

If you put your thumb on your nose and you're not close to touching it with your pinky finger, it's too far away. For a mic like that in a busy room less than 7 inches