uhhh... what did I do and how do I reverse it?

SirGeneral

I downloaded some AMD thingie a while back which I THOUGHT would boost my PC but all it did was RENAME MY CPU AND MY GPU (from what I could tell) how do I fetch the previous names?

heck.

It proably just edited the name in your registry. You can reinstall Windows or change it yourself.

the problem is that I need to check my gear and I don't wanna have to be unscrewing things which I probably don't have the proper gear to remove

heck.

download cpu-z

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

If it's registry you could do a system restore to before when you did it. Most disable this, but it's worth a shot mentioning.

3 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

I have a flash drive to boot off of and a windows 10 installer

Click on the arrow on a post to quote somebody, that way they see your response.

it says "AMD Sempron 150" but also "1 Core, 1 Thread" I don't know much about PC gear but i'm pretty sure AMD Sempron 150, 1 Core, 1 Thread isn't right

heck.

7 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

it says "AMD Sempron 150" but also "1 Core, 1 Thread" I don't know much about PC gear but i'm pretty sure AMD Sempron 150, 1 Core, 1 Thread isn't right

Well what CPU do you have? And what's your GPU?

5 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Well what CPU do you have? And what's your GPU?

He doesn't know that is the whole point of the thread he wants to know what he really has and this is rather hilarious... if names were changed for good on registry you have to check your BIOS for the real recognize of your hardware.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

He doesn't know that is the whole point of the thread he wants to know what he really has and this is rather hilarious... if names were changed for good on registry you have to check your BIOS for the real recognize of your hardware.

Well since he "knows" that it was renamed he should have some idea as to what it should be o.O I guess I'm just used to people at least knowing vaguely what CPU they have.

registry editor

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I COULD open my PC to check but the CPU has a heatsink without visible mounting points so i'd have to get a paint chipper or something and i'm not gonna kill my PC trying to remove a heatsink old reliable still has year or two left in her

heck.

P.S. where do I go to talk about computers in general instead of specific gear?

heck.

9 minutes ago, SirGeneral said:

I COULD open my PC to check but the CPU has a heatsink without visible mounting points so i'd have to get a paint chipper or something and i'm not gonna kill my PC trying to remove a heatsink old reliable still has year or two left in her

It doesn't sound like you've done enough research to know what you're doing. Don't touch a thing until you watch a ton of videos on this stuff.  Reseating a CPU cooler isn't that hard if you know what you're doing. You'll need thermal paste too.

It's probably an intel stock cooler by the sounds of it where you have to turn each plastic peg counter clockwise and pull each one up.

Putting those back on is the hard part because those stupid pegs never want to go in their holes and it can look like it's installed right without it even touching the CPU, meaning you could accidentally start the computer without any kind of cooling.

There's no reason to do this though, unless it's for an unrelated issue.

You should bite  the bullet and reinstall windows though.

It sounds like you installed a driver for a different CPU and that's bad.

Backup what you have, and reinstall windows if a system restore doesn't fix this.

You have no other choice.

If you have to ask this much, you should not mess with the registry either.

is there a way to see the gpu label without harming the computer? like do I just unscrew it and pull it out?

heck.

Just now, SirGeneral said:

is there a way to see the gpu label without harming the computer? like do I just unscrew it and pull it out?

You don't even have to take it out.

It's usually right on the backplate. Just take a picture with your phone if it's too hard to read or upside down or whatever.

Just now, SirGeneral said:

guess i'll reinstall windows though *eardrum rupturing sigh*

It'd be foolish not to.

You can try that system restore first though to see if that fixes it.