Recommendation for a headphone amp

coldturkey691

Hello, 

I recently got a new pair of headphones, some Onkyo A800 ( http://www.onkyo-headphones.com/en/headphones/headband/a800.html )

A  friend of mine mention I should get a headphone amp for them, but with the wide variety of tube or solid sate amps out there its very difficult to find the right one.

Me being a newbie to the audio world and what not, most of the specs mean nothing to me and I was wondering if any one had some suggestions.

My price range is in the +/- $200 CAD. If anymore info is required I'll be more than happy to supply what every I can.

Thanks for the help in advance.

3 hours ago, coldturkey691 said:

Hello, 

I recently got a new pair of headphones, some Onkyo A800 ( http://www.onkyo-headphones.com/en/headphones/headband/a800.html )

A  friend of mine mention I should get a headphone amp for them, but with the wide variety of tube or solid sate amps out there its very difficult to find the right one.

Me being a newbie to the audio world and what not, most of the specs mean nothing to me and I was wondering if any one had some suggestions.

My price range is in the +/- $200 CAD. If anymore info is required I'll be more than happy to supply what every I can.

Thanks for the help in advance.

I would highly recommend getting a DAC+AMP Combo unit,  anything on this list will power those headphones without an issue and having the DAC (Digital to Analog) converter will greatly increase the audio quality / clarity. 

Seriously? You can't link any better reviewer than Z? When I clicked on the review links (a few of them) and realized that they all led to Z YouTube reviews, I lost interest. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2 hours ago, Tz000 said:

I would highly recommend getting a DAC+AMP Combo unit,  anything on this list will power those headphones without an issue and having the DAC (Digital to Analog) converter will greatly increase the audio quality / clarity. 

Why are you linking that? Like FFS he is deaf and really doesn't know anything about audio, all he does is ramble with no real info and he can't hear any dips in FR (audiofly af180) and just to drive the point home he called Shure 1540 "neutral" those are pretty bass heavy....

For OP with 100dB/mW sensitivity it is pretty easy to drive. Something like a Fulla 2 is going to have enough power and a low output impedance, which is good since the headphones has a low impedance.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Why are you linking that? Like FFS he is deaf and really doesn't know anything about audio, all he does is ramble with no real info and he can't hear any dips in FR (audiofly af180) and just to drive the point home he called Shure 1540 "neutral" those are pretty bass heavy....

For OP with 100dB/mW sensitivity it is pretty easy to drive. Something like a Fulla 2 is going to have enough power and a low output impedance, which is good since the headphones has a low impedance.

4 hours ago, GamerDude said:

Seriously? You can't link any better reviewer than Z? When I clicked on the review links (a few of them) and realized that they all led to Z YouTube reviews, I lost interest. 

Take it easy man just trying to help, everyone has an opinion on any product be that audio, vehicles  etc... yes I agree half his videos are useless banter and there is no real science to his reviews but I wasn't posting the list saying Z is the best etc etc..  Its a list of dacs/amps which for OP's purposes would do him just fine and show him that there are many options.

Especially as you go and suggest something right off his list? Thought all his options / choices were no good? 

4 hours ago, Tz000 said:

Take it easy man just trying to help, everyone has an opinion on any product be that audio, vehicles  etc... yes I agree half his videos are useless banter and there is no real science to his reviews but I wasn't posting the list saying Z is the best etc etc..  Its a list of dacs/amps which for OP's purposes would do him just fine and show him that there are many options.

Especially as you go and suggest something right off his list? Thought all his options / choices were no good? 

My post was more or less in jest, Z reviews suit some here as well.......but I simply don't like his excessive use of expletives, and his lack of knowledge. He bandies audio terms about and yet has no real idea what they mean (NOT saying I'm an expert or audiophile myself, though I am actually trying to learn).

Yes, in that list, there's the Schiit Fulla 2 which would drive the OP's easily enough, or OP can simply get a Magni 3 and use his mobo onboard audio as a dedicated DAC. Assuming OP intends to use the DAC combo/stack or amp with his computer that is.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

8 hours ago, Tz000 said:

There is lots of gear in that list that is simply bad, but zeos can't hear that so you end up with a list with a few actually good things in the and then a ton of bad and mediocre gear. Like a lot of the Fiio gear or the O2 and ODAC or SMSL.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.