Lan party

Twist3relelelele

So i am going to host a lan party in a few months i have 50mb/s optical fibre internet but i have only 1 internet port on the wall. What kind of a splitter/switch or something else do you recomend me getting.

How many people?

An 8 or 16 port gigabit switch should be fine for local connectivity and give you a link out as well. If you've got more than 16 people then 24 or 48 ports.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

How many people?

An 8 or 16 port gigabit switch should be fine for local connectivity and give you a link out as well. If you've got more than 16 people then 24 or 48 ports.

oh yeah 4 people only but do i need a gigabit switch if my internet is only 50mb/s and how much do they usually cost?

2 minutes ago, Twist3relelelele said:

oh yeah 4 people only but do i need a gigabit switch if my internet is only 50mb/s and how much do they usually cost?

You can pick up an 8-port gigabit switch for $30 or less usually.

If that 4 people includes you then you can drop down to a 5-port for $20 but if it's 4+you then you'll need to get an 8-port switch.

There are 100Mb switches but they are like $1 or 2 less than gigabit and you'll be happy you spend the extra couple dollars on a gigabit switch if someone wants to transfer a file or something to someone else.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

You can pick up an 8-port gigabit switch for $30 or less usually.

If that 4 people includes you then you can drop down to a 5-port for $20 but if it's 4+you then I would get an 8-port switch.

There are 100Mb switches but they are like $1 or 2 less than gigabit and you'll be happy you spend the extra couple dollars on a gigabit switch if someone wants to transfer a file or something to someone else.

Aight thank you alot!

4 minutes ago, Twist3relelelele said:

Gigabit switches normally aren't much more expensive than 100Mbps switches, so there's not much point in not getting one. It also means that local traffic can be Gigabit, but that won't matter for internet use. 

With 4 people, you'd be wanting an 8 port switch really. You could go with a 5 port, but if you find you want to add another person or device, you can't as you'd be using all the ports. 

You can get them for about $20. Something like a Netgear GS308 would do well. 

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Internet-Splitter-Unmanaged/dp/B00KFD0SEA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515957761&sr=8-5&keywords=8+port+gigabit+switch

Just now, Twist3relelelele said:

So i found a TP-Link TL-SG108 8 port switch for 30€ that should do it, right?

Yah that will be perfect :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: