AMD Athlon X4 880K?

Go to solution Solved by Spudbilly,
6 hours ago, Fatty Patty said:

I thought about buying used from them Chinese sellers but wanted more insight first

My current system specs are:

CPU: AMD A6-7400K

GPU: Gigabyte RX 460 Windforce Overclockable 4GB Edition

Motherboard: GA-F2A68HM-H

RAM:16GB DDR3

That cpu would be a perfectly fine combo with your system as long as you want to save the most money. It wont "bottleneck" your gpu. Your motherboard really cant handle much overclocking. But you could probably get 100-200 more mhz without much effort. Make sure you have a half descent air cooler. The stock ones from amd that came with those suck from personal experience. The cooler im my signature is amazing and cheap. 

So yeah...i would go for it and just make sure you aim to spend as little as possible without getting scammed....just do your research on the seller and you will be fine. 

The 880k is much better than the a6 btw

RandomgaminginHD does a video with an 860k and rx 460...so you can see how well it performs in some cpu intensive AAA titles 

I was wondering if I could get some help looking for a store sell an AMD Athlon X4 880K. I have did some looking on my own but can’t find any that aren’t way over priced, from a reputable store, and aren’t used. Any help would be appreciated!

I don't think they sell them new anymore, you might be stuck looking used unless Newegg or Amazon has them new

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't think they sell them new anymore, you might be stuck looking used unless Newegg or Amazon has them new

eBay doesn’t even have any... or at least any that don’t look super sketchy 

9 minutes ago, Fatty Patty said:

eBay doesn’t even have any... or at least any that don’t look super sketchy 

Check Newegg or Amazon. I'm pretty Amazon has at least the 860K(been a while since I looked)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The 880k is last gen . I wouldn't buy it IMO.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Why do you need an Athlon x4 880K? If you need cheap, look at a Ryzen 3 (they're around $100 these days), Pentium, or i3-8100. Or better yet, see if you can find a used processor. No joke, I saw an i5-2500K for $15 on Craigslist recently. If I had a motherboard for it already, I would've snatched it up xD

There's currently one for $25 on Ebay right now, and that would kill every of AMD's last-gen CPU's when overclocked.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

2 hours ago, Emberstone said:

Why do you need an Athlon x4 880K? If you need cheap, look at a Ryzen 3 (they're around $100 these days), Pentium, or i3-8100. Or better yet, see if you can find a used processor. No joke, I saw an i5-2500K for $15 on Craigslist recently. If I had a motherboard for it already, I would've snatched it up xD

There's currently one for $25 on Ebay right now, and that would kill every of AMD's last-gen CPU's when overclocked.

I’m on a small budget and only have an FM2/FM2+ Motherboard and the 880k is the best FM2+ CPU Out there. 

Ive bought used from china on ebay...never been burned yet. Just make sure product info is accurate and that the photos are of the actual product

What other parts do you have in your system

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

7 hours ago, Spudbilly said:

Ive bought used from china on ebay...never been burned yet. Just make sure product info is accurate and that the photos are of the actual product

What other parts do you have in your system

I thought about buying used from them Chinese sellers but wanted more insight first

6 hours ago, Fatty Patty said:

That cpu would be a perfectly fine combo with your system as long as you want to save the most money. It wont "bottleneck" your gpu. Your motherboard really cant handle much overclocking. But you could probably get 100-200 more mhz without much effort. Make sure you have a half descent air cooler. The stock ones from amd that came with those suck from personal experience. The cooler im my signature is amazing and cheap. 

So yeah...i would go for it and just make sure you aim to spend as little as possible without getting scammed....just do your research on the seller and you will be fine. 

RandomgaminginHD does a video with an 860k and rx 460...so you can see how well it performs in some cpu intensive AAA titles 

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x cooled by Pure Rock Slim // RAM: Gskill Flare X 3200mhz CL14 2x16 32GB// GPU: Powercolor Red Devil RX 6650 XT 8GB// Motherboard: ASRock B450m Pro 4 // PSU: Seasonic G550 Gold 80+ // Storage: 4TB pcie nvme game drive, 512 GB m.2 sata3 OS Drive, 4 TB WD Red HDD // Monitor: Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1080p 60Hz, MSI 27" 1080p 144hz Freesync 1ms display // Peripherals:  Logitech fancy shmancy keyboard and moise with rgb and gaminess stuff, very fancy | Kingston HyperX Cloud Core headset 

1 hour ago, Spudbilly said:

Thanks! Also I bought an after market Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo that does great! Sounds great! Thanks for all the help!

Just an update! I decided to just go with the 860k because it and the 880k are pretty much identical. I’m just going to try to overclock the 860k to 4.2 when I get it so it will match the 880k clock speed.