QHD 120Hz TN & G-sync VS FHD 60Hz IPS no G-sync

Hi!

Second time posting here, so I hope I'm doing it right.

Currently in the process of looking at buying an Alienware 17 laptop, but can't decide between screens. I'll be using the laptop for gaming as well as sometimes for uni work which involves video editing, illustrator, unreal engine etc, as well as normal stuff like films, essays, YouTube etc. I don't know much about different screen apart from people say IPS ones are better than TN, but can run into more issues with backlight bleeding or dead pixels. Seen a lot of posts about that, especially on the 4K IPS screen (which is a real shame, kinda iffy about that screen now). The last thing I'd want is to buy a £1500-2000 laptop and have issues as bad as people say they are.

The specs are:

- i7-7700HQ processor

- GTX 1070 with 8GB with GDDR5

- QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz TN AG 400-nits w/ NVIDIA G-SYNC

- 16GB RAM

- 128GB SSD and 1TB hard drive

OR

- i7-7700HQ processor

- GTX 1060 with 6GB with GDDR5  (can actually be upgraded to 1070, but is there any point if the screen can't go past 60fps?)

- FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz IPS AG 300-nits & Tobii Eye-tracking

- 16GB RAM

There is also a UHD option, aka 4K IPS 60Hz, but I've seen an overbearing amount of people post issues about that one. Especially with bad pixels and bad backlight bleeding, as mentioned before.

I've seen a number of reviews too about both screens, and honestly, 4/5 of the time they have said the TN one is actually pretty good. Not as bad as people like to say it is at least. I'm not exactly a super colour or super gaming enthusiast, I mean shit I've been running games on low the past year with Intel Graphics 520. Nothing can be worse than what I have right now. But, I want this to last me at least a few years, so I want it to be the right choice for what I need y'know. It's hard to tell what's REALLY bad though, since so many of these reviewers are very serious about their specs. 

So, I thought I'd come here and get your opinions!

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, p00kiroo said:

- i7-7700HQ processor

- 16GB RAM

This one for sure. More expensive TN panels are only worse than IPS in terms of viewing angles. It's wins on every way here, in refresh rate, having Gsync and resolution. Not to mention the much faster graphics card

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

As much as I love IPS and hate TN....

Extra Hz, resolution and G-Sync are too much to pass upon vs just having IPS... I would go with that QHD.

Heck, you get even better card with it too.

24 minutes ago, p00kiroo said:

Hi!

Second time posting here, so I hope I'm doing it right.

Currently in the process of looking at buying an Alienware 17 laptop, but can't decide between screens. I'll be using the laptop for gaming as well as sometimes for uni work which involves video editing, illustrator, unreal engine etc, as well as normal stuff like films, essays, YouTube etc. I don't know much about different screen apart from people say IPS ones are better than TN, but can run into more issues with backlight bleeding or dead pixels. Seen a lot of posts about that, especially on the 4K IPS screen (which is a real shame, kinda iffy about that screen now). The last thing I'd want is to buy a £1500-2000 laptop and have issues as bad as people say they are.

The specs are:

- i7-7700HQ processor

- 16GB RAM

OR

- i7-7700HQ processor

- GTX 1060 with 6GB with GDDR5  (can actually be upgraded to 1070, but is there any point if the screen can't go past 60fps?)

- FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz IPS AG 300-nits & Tobii Eye-tracking

- 16GB RAM

There is also a UHD option, aka 4K IPS 60Hz, but I've seen an overbearing amount of people post issues about that one. Especially with bad pixels and bad backlight bleeding, as mentioned before.

I've seen a number of reviews too about both screens, and honestly, 4/5 of the time they have said the TN one is actually pretty good. Not as bad as people like to say it is at least. I'm not exactly a super colour or super gaming enthusiast, I mean shit I've been running games on low the past year with Intel Graphics 520. Nothing can be worse than what I have right now. But, I want this to last me at least a few years, so I want it to be the right choice for what I need y'know. It's hard to tell what's REALLY bad though, since so many of these reviewers are very serious about their specs. 

So, I thought I'd come here and get your opinions!

Thanks!

check for a MSI GT72VR 7RE, really good panels, good cooling system, good sound system

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

This one for sure. More expensive TN panels are only worse than IPS in terms of viewing angles. It's wins on every way here, in refresh rate, having Gsync and resolution. Not to mention the much faster graphics card

Yeah I don't really care at all for viewing angles. When I see tests for it I get so annoyed at how the camera is near enough behind the screen, it's a laptop! 

But what you said is very true. Do you think it would make a huge impact on the editing/design work I do? I mean I know I could easily change contract or brightness levels in the settings, but do you think it would make a huge difference or nah?

10 minutes ago, WereCat said:

As much as I love IPS and hate TN....

Extra Hz, resolution and G-Sync are too much to pass upon vs just having IPS... I would go with that QHD.

Heck, you get even better card with it too.

Again very true! I don't know much about the hatred they have as I've only ever had OLED, which is why I'm coming for help from more experienced people. Do you think it would make a huge impact on editing or design work or nah?

11 minutes ago, sicily428 said:

check for a MSI GT72VR 7RE, really good panels, good cooling system, good sound system

Y'know I did look into some MSI laptops, they were also awesome! But, as picky as it sounds (srry if it triggers you) but god damn the keyboard is the grossest thing I've seen. And by that I mean the font and some of the placements of the keys. I know it shouldn't be a big issue, but I couldn't even look at the photos without looking at how gross the keyboard is. Think it's how squared it is, maybe.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, p00kiroo said:

But what you said is very true. Do you think it would make a huge impact on the editing/design work I do? I mean I know I could easily change contract or brightness levels in the settings, but do you think it would make a huge difference or nah?

When you look it straight at the front, viewing angle issue (and effect on color and so on) doenst matter since the screen itself isnt that big (it only gets noticed on the corners when the screen is 20"+)

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, p00kiroo said:

Again very true! I don't know much about the hatred they have as I've only ever had OLED, which is why I'm coming for help from more experienced people. Do you think it would make a huge impact on editing or design work or nah?

Yes.

But it goes both ways.

Colour accuracy, contrast will definitely suffer on TN but working on 1440p display is just amazing due to the much larger screen real estate vs 1080p.

598f8021657a7_Beznzvu.thumb.png.401e961d855cfda45bf196c9e61e293f.png

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

When you look it straight at the front, viewing angle issue (and effect on color and so on) doenst matter since the screen itself isnt that big (it only gets noticed on the corners when the screen is 20"+)

Ah right okay, I think I'll most likely go with the TN then. Need to stop switching back and forth lmao, but thank you!

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yes.

But it goes both ways.

Colour accuracy, contrast will definitely suffer on TN but working on 1440p display is just amazing due to the much larger screen real estate vs 1080p.

598f8021657a7_Beznzvu.thumb.png.401e961d855cfda45bf196c9e61e293f.png

Sorry what are the photos? And see that's another thing I wonder about, is if the difference really is THAT bad. If we're talking about a light blue looking slightly off, then I'm not too fussed. But if we're talking a light blue looking like a mid blue, then yeah I'll care a lot more. I do more video editing than illustrator or photoshop, so colours don't matter as much for that. 

5 minutes ago, p00kiroo said:

Sorry what are the photos? And see that's another thing I wonder about, is if the difference really is THAT bad. If we're talking about a light blue looking slightly off, then I'm not too fussed. But if we're talking a light blue looking like a mid blue, then yeah I'll care a lot more. I do more video editing than illustrator or photoshop, so colours don't matter as much for that. 

The image on the left is 1440p and how 2 windows beside each other look, you can see entire word page and web page without issue.

On the right it is 1080p, you cant even see the entire word page or web page if you wish to have 2 windows opened beside each other.

I had TN that was nice, it was an old BenQ monitor with just D-Sub video and it looked almost like my main IPS display except it had a slight "yellowish" tint which I would not notice if I could not compare it directly.

But I had also a TN screen which was much newer and horrible and you could not look at it even under slight angles as the colours were changing everytime you moved.

Best to check reviews or see for yourself if you have that oportunity. Not all TN/IPS/whatever are the same.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

The image on the left is 1440p and how 2 windows beside each other look, you can see entire word page and web page without issue.

On the right it is 1080p, you cant even see the entire word page or web page if you wish to have 2 windows opened beside each other.

I had TN that was nice, it was an old BenQ monitor with just D-Sub video and it looked almost like my main IPS display except it had a slight "yellowish" tint which I would not notice if I could not compare it directly.

But I had also a TN screen which was much newer and horrible and you could not look at it even under slight angles as the colours were changing everytime you moved.

Best to check reviews or see for yourself if you have that oportunity. Not all TN/IPS/whatever are the same.

Ohh right! Yeah, that's a big difference.

This is the best review for it (linked with the right timing hopefully, 1:34) with the IPS and TN side by side but in the 15" version: 

From what I can see, the main difference is the TN has slightly cooler colours. Definitely a difference, but I don't think too much? But I'm not as knowledgeable here lmao.

Another video I saw also recorded 93% for RGB and 61% for Adobe RBG levels. Again, not fully sure what some of this means, but he did surprisingly like it.