Update Windows 7 to 10 without losing Windows 7 from drive

Hello there.

Since there are still few days to update to Windows 10, i wanted to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10. 

I wouldn't write if i just wan't to update it to Windows 10 and lose the Windows 7. Question is:

Can i upgrade to Windows 10, and not lose Windows 7? Something like making dual OS.

Currently i have 1TB Drive, with 2 partitions. First is for OS (240GB) and second is for Files (573GB).

Will it work, if i cut partition with OS in half (so 120/120) and install the upgrade on the second partition the Windows 10? (If it's even possible :p)

I don't know from what i can start :x

12 minutes ago, Kapejog said:

Hello there.

Since there are still few days to update to Windows 10, i wanted to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10. 

I wouldn't write if i just wan't to update it to Windows 10 and lose the Windows 7. Question is:

Can i upgrade to Windows 10, and not lose Windows 7? Something like making dual OS.

Currently i have 1TB Drive, with 2 partitions. First is for OS (240GB) and second is for Files (573GB).

Will it work, if i cut partition with OS in half (so 120/120) and install the upgrade on the second partition the Windows 10? (If it's even possible :p)

That would be a fresh install alongside Windows 7, not an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

That would be a fresh install alongside Windows 7, not an upgrade.

so upgrade to second drive will not work? :/

Just now, Kapejog said:

so upgrade to second drive will not work? :/

No, you cannot perform an upgrade installation if you want to keep Windows 7. 

First of all: This is not supported under the microsoft licensing scheme, so I would assume you will get problems with the activation.

Second: It's tricky enough to run two windows instances side by side on the same drive without the licensing problem. More so, if you want to do it under UEFI/GPT with the "i do what i want" windows boot manager.

So I would use two hard drives. Clone your cuurent drive to the new one. Unplug the old drive and run the upgrade. Then switch OS via the boot-device-selection of your UEFI/BIOS. Every other approach left me frustrated after 3-5 hours of working on it. Especially since windows 10 has the habit of rebuilding the boot manager from time to time...

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

3 minutes ago, xc3ll said:

First of all: This is not supported under the microsoft licensing scheme, so I would assume you will get problems with the activation.

Second: It's tricky enough to run two windows instances side by side on the same drive without the licensing problem. More so, if you want to do it under UEFI/GPT with the "i do what i want" windows boot manager.

So I would use two hard drives. Clone your cuurent drive to the new one. Unplug the old drive and run the upgrade. Then switch OS via the boot-device-selection of your UEFI/BIOS. Every other approach left me frustrated after 3-5 hours of working on it. Especially since windows 10 has the habit of rebuilding the boot manager from time to time...

So it's not that easy as i thought :/

The license will not be a problem, because i don't know exactly when, but i will get the Imagine Program access, so i will have two licences.

Actually the one drive i still have as unused is 120 GB Sata I drive, so i think windows 10 on it will work very slow, and that's what i wan't to see.

There is also the problem of Windows not liking to see or interact with subsequent partitions on a drive 

57 minutes ago, Kapejog said:

Hello there.

If you have or had the Get Windows 10 app and you reserved your copy (well it basically did it automatically, unless you removed the app before it did it). You can upgrade at any time you want. That said, we will see how that holds up.

Upgrade involves replacing Windows 7 to 10.  If you want both, you need to purchase Windows 10 license independently. Or you can install Windows 10 on the side and run it under trial mode (no product key entered)

Windows needs to be a separate partition. So you'll need to create a third partition of at least 60GB (my recommendation, to have enough space to download updates, temp files, space for programs system files that might get installed, enough free space to not have Windows complain with warnings, and have disk defrag tool properly function).

Yes, but again, Windows 10 won't be activated and be in trial mode, as you have no product key for it, unless you go buy Windows 10.

Windows 10 setup will detect that you have Windows 7, and setup a dual boot menu configuration.

When you'll start the system, it will start Windows 10 first, then show this menu:

Boot-Screen-640x480.jpg

If you pick Windows 10, it resumes loading to your account (or login screen)

If you pick Windows 7, the system will restart, and go to Windows 7. If you restart or shutdown the system in Windows 7, it will restart under Windows 10 and have the menu above.

The idea of this menu inside Windows 10, and not before Windows 10 starts is to give compatibility with systems that might not have a keyboard or mouse, but rather pen and/or touch (Windows powered tablet or Point-Of-Sale system, or kiosks). You need an OS loaded with touch or pen drivers loaded.