External hard drive

montyrule

So I'm build a new pc and I have a 1tb external hard drive for back up, and I was wondering if I take it out of its shell would it still work and communicate with it correctly. I think it Well just want to make sure.

Thanks

Something Awesome!

I was attracted to the typo in your Title there :P.

Generally all an external HDD enclosure is in a real HDD with a bit of PCB that turns the sata connections into a USB one. so as long as you keep the PCB as well it will be ok. but i fail to see a reason for doing it.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Yes but it would increase the components to fail even more from drops. The outer shell is kinda the only protection a external hard drive has.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

So I'm build a new pc and I have a 1tb external hard drive for back up, and I was wondering if I take it out of its shell would it still work and communicate with it correctly. I think it Well just want to make sure.

Thanks

Why do you want to take it out of its shell? And, what "it" needs to work and communicate with the drive?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Well if you take it out it wont have the connection (USB) anymore so you couldnt communicate anymore...

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

An eternal hard drive, that would be nice

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Thanks

I was attracted to the typo in your Title there :P.

Generally all an external HDD enclosure is in a real HDD with a bit of PCB that turns the sata connections into a USB one. so as long as you keep the PCB as well it will be ok. but i fail to see a reason for doing it.

Well, this depends.

Some External HDDs have a different connector. While some do have a SATA->USB adapter built into the casing, others have the USB soldering directly onto the PCB replacing the SATA.

If your particular external HDD is the former (SATA->USB adapter on the casing), then yes, you can take it out and it work as an internal drive. 

If it is the latter (USB soldered directly to PCB), then no, it will still need to use the USB to communicate with things. 

It will work fine either way, but there's no point in taking the casing off if it's USB soldered to PCB. 

For reference, I have only ever seen it be soldered to the PCB with USB 3.0 capable external Hard Drives. If it's USB 2.0, it's probably a SATA -> USB Adapter.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Click on the topic like omg eternal HDD :/

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------