3rd motherboard dead

Alex93

I ordered a new motherboard it was working then randomly froze after a reboot it was turning on and off again i took ram out of slot 4 it powered on but no picture on screen now not turning on at all but the graphics card and mouse gets power nothin else 

4 months ago this happen  

Original board gigabyte 2nd board asrock 3rd board msi 

and ever since i have been through 2 boards im sick of this im sick of wasting time and money is there anything i can do only thing i haven't done is upgrade that will cost me other $1000. 

20180112_215401.jpg

20180112_215356.jpg

What PSU do you have? How old is it?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

I had a similar problem around 3 years ago, where the PC would just shut down out of the blue and reboot. It got worse and worse, to the point, that it wouldn't start anymore.

Turns out, that my Thermaltake CPU cooler's backplate shorted the motherboard. The backplate of the cooler was full metal, with a thin layer of foam to prevent the metal plate to make contact with the motherboard. I might've overtighthened it, or it was a design flaw, but there was a contact, and that caused the motherboard to die after some time.

You could check the cooler out, otherwise it could be a powersupply problem.

Also I would recommend to use the least ammount of hardware to test the issue (remove 3 of the 4 RAM modules, try out different RAM slots with 1 stick, remove the graphics card, disconnect any hard drives/SSD-s, get a cheap powersupply from somewhere)

It is most likely your PSU since 3 mobos being dead is 0%

I LIKE TURTLES

That PSU does look fairly old...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Check PSU outlets with ampmeter and see if voltages are right ...only thing that can cause this is PSU ...at least in 99% of the time. Had this issue on old pc. 

Also , what you could do is switch RAM sticks or try just with one stick in all slots ,  if some of them boots then i would recomend you to change RAM ...

Did you check socket pins ? Did you overclocked any of the components ? 

If everything else fails,  try this : Pull out power cable, take out mobo battery , wait 30 seconds , get it back to mobo , get power cable to PSU and then try to boot...efectefly this is gonna clear CMOS ...worked for me few times. 

If you get it boot up go to bios and restore all to default values . BTW dont do the last one if you have RAID or something alike setup. 

Hope this helps . 

6 hours ago, pcnoob27 said:

No its not i tested the psu on my old computer for few days ran fine

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

That PSU does look fairly old...

The psu is perfectly fine

then its cpu gpu or a other component, maybe you could remove them hand by hand and look if it boots up, without one of the parts. (you can only disable gpu if you have a built in gpu)

I LIKE TURTLES

6 hours ago, pcnoob27 said:

Ive tested the psu its fine . 

2 minutes ago, Alex93 said:

The psu is perfectly fine

3 minutes ago, Alex93 said:

No its not i tested the psu on my old computer for few days ran fine

lol ok... for real you're just making it sound even more the issue is the PSU, even yourself knows it reason why you won't reveal which model it is and how old it is.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 hours ago, Eibe said:

What PSU do you have? How old is it?

Thermaltake 850 gold its as old as the pc only like 2 years old

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

lol ok... for real you're just making it sound even more the issue is the PSU, even yourself knows it reason why you won't reveal which model it is and how old it is.

Open your eyes i responded with that information . The psu ran perfectly fine for days on another pc 

18 minutes ago, pcnoob27 said:

then its cpu gpu or a other component, maybe you could remove them hand by hand and look if it boots up, without one of the parts. (you can only disable gpu if you have a built in gpu)

Ill give it a try 

4 hours ago, milanvipa said:

Check PSU outlets with ampmeter and see if voltages are right ...only thing that can cause this is PSU ...at least in 99% of the time. Had this issue on old pc. 

Also , what you could do is switch RAM sticks or try just with one stick in all slots ,  if some of them boots then i would recomend you to change RAM ...

If everything else fails,  try this : Pull out power cable, take out mobo battery , wait 30 seconds , get it back to mobo , get power cable to PSU and then try to boot...efectefly this is gonna clear CMOS ...worked for me few times. 

If you get it boot up go to bios and restore all to default values . BTW dont do the last one if you have RAID or something alike setup. 

Hope this helps . 

Ive done some of those but ill go through the list and get back to you

On 12/01/2018 at 10:36 PM, Epherandes said:

I had a similar problem around 3 years ago, where the PC would just shut down out of the blue and reboot. It got worse and worse, to the point, that it wouldn't start anymore.

Turns out, that my Thermaltake CPU cooler's backplate shorted the motherboard. The backplate of the cooler was full metal, with a thin layer of foam to prevent the metal plate to make contact with the motherboard. I might've overtighthened it, or it was a design flaw, but there was a contact, and that caused the motherboard to die after some time.

You could check the cooler out, otherwise it could be a powersupply problem.

Also I would recommend to use the least ammount of hardware to test the issue (remove 3 of the 4 RAM modules, try out different RAM slots with 1 stick, remove the graphics card, disconnect any hard drives/SSD-s, get a cheap powersupply from somewhere)

Its not the cooler the problem started before i got it

On 13/01/2018 at 2:43 AM, milanvipa said:

Hope this helps . 

Ive done some more trouble shooting i managed to power on the board randomly couple times but cant put my finger on anything but i did bump the 24pin connector while plugged into the board it turned on the pc so it seems psu might be faulty but it works fine on my other pc the paperclip test works but when i use a test light (circuit tester) it doesn't work on the broken computer but does on my other . So im confused ..

9 hours ago, Alex93 said:

Ive done some more trouble shooting i managed to power on the board randomly couple times but cant put my finger on anything but i did bump the 24pin connector while plugged into the board it turned on the pc so it seems psu might be faulty but it works fine on my other pc the paperclip test works but when i use a test light (circuit tester) it doesn't work on the broken computer but does on my other . So im confused ..

Well...looks like broken PSU . Switch PSU  and pray to the Gods in Valhala that your new MOBO is still alive, along with other components :/ Seems as legit PSU issue . 

On 1/12/2018 at 10:37 AM, PCMasterDebater said:

As the others have said, 3 failures point to a bad PSU. Or it's the outlet you are plugged into.

Yup, bad power can play all kinds of havoc with your system.

Had a bear of a time troubleshooting my old roommate's FX9590/R9 290 machine (inb4 space heater comments), everything would work perfectly until the system would suddenly lock up requiring a hard reboot.  Couldn't find anything wrong with any component, software installation, etc and the problem persisted after swapping motherboards.

Moved it to my room for troubleshooting and it was rock solid.  A while later, after he moved out and my other roommate took his room, a UPS was plugged into that outlet, and we started noticing it clicking over to the backup frequently.

Could have saved a ton of headache, along with buying a cooler and motherboard for no reason.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

10 hours ago, Alex93 said:

Check everything Alex.

1 hour ago, Phate.exe said:

snip

Voltage can fluctuate from plug to plug in older homes. I've seen outlets pushing as low as 75v's up to 165v's out of the US standard 120v. Also, plugs that are daisy chained off of a GFI plugs can cause issues when the GFI plug begins to fail from age or being tripped to many times. This can also happen at the circuit breaker in the circuit breaker box.

I just had to replace a circuit breaker in my brand new $500,000 house due to a faulty breaker. Even new stuff can fail.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

11 hours ago, milanvipa said:

Well...looks like broken PSU . Switch PSU  and pray to the Gods in Valhala that your new MOBO is still alive, along with other components :/ Seems as legit PSU issue . 

Once i have the money ill buy a new psu and see how that goes ill stay away from thermaltake as thats what i currently got

29 minutes ago, Alex93 said:

Once i have the money ill buy a new psu and see how that goes ill stay away from thermaltake as thats what i currently got

Check the PSU tier list here on LTT.

Also, a not so great PSU can cause lock ups on OC. Did you OC your processor? It might not have delivered well and caused spikes to your motherboard.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

15 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Check everything Alex.

Voltage can fluctuate from plug to plug in older homes. I've seen outlets pushing as low as 75v's up to 165v's out of the US standard 120v. Also, plugs that are daisy chained off of a GFI plugs can cause issues when the GFI plug begins to fail from age or being tripped to many times. This can also happen at the circuit breaker in the circuit breaker box.

I just had to replace a circuit breaker in my brand new $500,000 house due to a faulty breaker. Even new stuff can fail.

We were renting, and got to learn all sorts of fun things about the electrical in that house.  Old post and tube wiring, shared metering (with neighbors that liked to leave all 500 watts of lighting switched on in the attic), a third set of circuit breakers nobody knew about, etc.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

might be worth checking your standoffs as well, they can short your motherboard if not installed correctly

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒