Cosmetic Micro-Transactions

SlipperyPete

Are Cosmetic Micro-Transactions Acceptable?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Are Cosmetic Micro-Transactions Acceptable?

• Yes, as long as they dont affect gameplay.
    • No, all micro-transactions are bad,

I just wanted to open up a conversation around cosmetic micro-transactions in 2018.

This came to mind due to the new Overwatch skins.

Personally i am of the opinion that micro-transactions are fine as long as they dont affect gameplay. I enjoy cosmetic micro-transactions because if purchased, they allow the developer to make money while supplying those who want it with new stuff. IE: CSGO skins, LoL skins, etc.

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

Isn't the general consensus that they're fine as long as it's cosmetic stuff that isn't basically pay to win? I haven't seen anyone with a different view on it, it only seems to be some companies that have a different view. 

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Isn't the general consensus that they're fine as long as it's cosmetic stuff that isn't basically pay to win? I haven't seen anyone with a different view on it, it only seems to be some companies that have a different view. 

I can imagine people being of the opinion that once you pay the price of a game everything should come included, skins and all. 

7 minutes ago, Ansger said:

I can imagine people being of the opinion that once you pay the price of a game everything should come included, skins and all. 

Which is equally as entitled as the company asking for money for new content they generate.

I also don't really feel that much sympathy on the consumer side considering $60 has been the standard pricing for AAA games for the past 12 or so years, beating out the old $40 introduced roughly around 1995. And considering how lots of people wait for a sale anyway...

I also don't feel much sympathy for the consumer at times because they often fail to understand the nuances of software development. And as a software developer myself, my view is biased towards seeing a lot of what the consumer wants for gratis as entitled. Day one content (be it patches or DLC) would receive less flak if people just understood software life cycle processes and logistics.

I'm fully OK with skins and such. It supports further development and is a great way to support the game. Although some games abuse that or dont use the money for further development.  

19 minutes ago, spiralfuzion said:

I'm fully OK with skins and such. It supports further development and is a great way to support the game. Although some games abuse that or dont use the money for further development.  

im in the same boat. lots of times tho the skins take time to develop and the price of the skin is to pay for development and then make a small profit on top

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

I wanna say yeah, but only if they're not loot box (random based). Having random elements just show the dev wants you to gamble your money away.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

8 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

I wanna say yeah, but only if they're not loot box (random based). Having random elements just show the dev wants you to gamble your money away.

this honestly. I don't like the idea of randomness. If I want a skin I should be able to buy it. 

7 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

You'd be surprised the number of dumbasses that have a problem with that.

My opinion, I don't care if devs charge 3 bajillion dollars for things that don't affect gameplay.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Cosmetics MTX are fine with me, but I believe all in game items should be obtainable by grinding. Loot boxes on the other hand needs to go away unless its a mission reward bonus or something that is extra on top of the normal reward.

17 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

I totally get your point - but gambling is also considered a game and fun for some people. Of course it has to be done responsibly.

I personally bought CoD WW2 when it game out for like €60 and probably spent another €50-60 for credits (which buy you loot boxes and certain challanges). I don't feel cheated at all to be honest -> I enjoy a little gambling here and there. I stopped at a certain point because I either earned or bought most of the content and I just get duplicates. Also you earn loot boxes during gameplay, so it is mostly something you do in the beginning.

Gambling is like alcohol, drugs and beautiful women -> done responsibly it can be good fun. If it should be part of a game which alot of kids play (which they officially shouldn't) is a whole other discussion though.

In short - I dont mind a system like that at all.