Weird Buzzing Noise, now spilled water on mobo HELP

iHDCool
Go to solution Solved by iHDCool,

Update: I tried it, first time with 1 stick of ram and igpu. It gave me 2 long beeps. Connected the cpu fan and hdd, no beep, booted to windows. Now I connected everything, booted to windows normally thank god. Till now no problems. Thank u all for helping me. Really appreciated :)

Hey guys. It's been like 2 weeks now that my pc has been doing this weird buzz randomly on start up. Again, this happens once in a while (not regulary) in start up, continues and stops like after 5 mins. It's like a buzzing sound. I tried recording it but it's not clear so you cant hear it. 

That's my HDD so I don't think that is doing the noise. My GTX 1050 ti was bought a few months ago so I don't think that's the problem. The pc has only 1 cooler wich is the fan cooler, but its on the front of the pc and the noise isn't coming from that. I know I'm not givng you guys much info to go for but this is all I have. Also it's a small form factor pc. I have my doubts on the PSU but it's a weird shape psu, it's like an L and I dont have any other PSUs. Help please

Edit, while fixing a cable that was touching gpu fan, accidentaly dropped a just a tiny bit of spill on it e.e, the system was unplugged from everything, i tried cleaning it up although it was hard, should i leave it like that to dry for a day? Heeelp

System spec:

image.png.9e3f6f5adb5a565736e2856d10708f0f.png

image.png.3bad438373e60c9b8fd810a4c36634fd.png

It's most likely the optical drive or hard drive, and you just didn't notice it before.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

2 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

But why would it make a sound like that if it has no problems? 

@thegreengamers

Because all hard drives make a slight buzzing sound. Can you give us an audio recording?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Probrably is the PSU 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

So this is purely anecdotal in that it happened to me once with my brand new 970 Strix when they came out - I thought something expensive had happened and couldnt work it out - same deal though - when the PC powered on - weird buzzing noise that would stop and start up again when gaming. 
Anyway, I realized it was doing it when the fans spun up on the 970 so I took the card out and had a fiddle, it ended up being that the power cable for one of the GPU fans was ever so slightly clipping the blades as they span around, literally nudged it with a screw driver and it fixed it.

Oh and this wasnt the usual pretty obvious "stuck my finger in a spinning fan because reasons" noise either, it was super high  pitched and whiny because it was such a small thing that was barely touching the blades but there you go.

Worth a look ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Good luck

Could be coil whine on a system fan or GPU fan, could be the hard drive, and could be the power supply. We don't have enough information. You didn't list the power supply though in your specs. You should include that too.

It's a normal shit 240w PSU. Lemme find a picture

Btw my sys is a Small form factor HP Elite 8000 sff pro something something

image.png.dfb51da06ea6a82b5cc1b8f129534810.pngthis is how my psu looks

How can i test if it's the psu? i dont have another rig and this buzzing sounds happens only from time to time 

After a while of thinking that buzzing sound started to happen when i inserted a new hdd, i found out the hdd was dying, but not dead tho, CrystalDiskInfo gave me the CAUTIOS sign on it. And I removed it. I'll take some pics later for you guys to see where I had it placed. Is there a problem if cables are touching the HDD and stuff .-.? I just have to make sure on this one lol 

To be more specific an unused sata power cable wich has no where to go and is above the current hdd sitting on it. 

3 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

It's a normal shit 240w PSU. Lemme find a picture

Btw my sys is a Small form factor HP Elite 8000 sff pro something something

image.png.dfb51da06ea6a82b5cc1b8f129534810.pngthis is how my psu looks

How can i test if it's the psu? i dont have another rig and this buzzing sounds happens only from time to time 

After a while of thinking that buzzing sound started to happen when i inserted a new hdd, i found out the hdd was dying, but not dead tho, CrystalDiskInfo gave me the CAUTIOS sign on it. And I removed it. I'll take some pics later for you guys to see where I had it placed. Is there a problem if cables are touching the HDD and stuff .-.? I just have to make sure on this one lol 

To be more specific an unused sata power cable wich has no where to go and is above the current hdd sitting on it. 

to test the PSU get an atx jumper for a couple bucks or do it yourself, then get a bunch of stuff and plug it in (hard drives or whatever) and see what happens.

It shouldn't matter if cables are touching the HDD unless there are open leads touching the PCB, which yours aren't because sata power cables have plastic plugs on the end.

If it is the power supply, take everything out of the system and put it in a new case with a new power supply or else you risk literally blowing up your system, if it is the hard drive clone it asap because one day it will just quit, and when that happens it is very expensive to get the data off.

1 minute ago, Audherbagn said:

to test the PSU get an atx jumper for a couple bucks or do it yourself, then get a bunch of stuff and plug it in (hard drives or whatever) and see what happens.

It shouldn't matter if cables are touching the HDD unless there are open leads touching the PCB, which yours aren't because sata power cables have plastic plugs on the end.

If it is the power supply, take everything out of the system and put it in a new case with a new power supply or else you risk literally blowing up your system, if it is the hard drive clone it asap because one day it will just quit, and when that happens it is very expensive to get the data off.

As I said, from CrystalDisk Info, it says the drive is good. I can't really affoard a new case bcuz that would mean get a new mobo, that means new psu, cpu(maybe), ram. 

I'll try to lock it down to the correct device that's buzzing. 

Did you check the GPU fans?

Easy way to test it, hold your fingers on them so they can spin - then the PC on. If there's no buzz then you found your problem =)

Funny enough, first gpu fan was touching a wire. Shut down pc, unplugged it, opened the case and while trying to push the small wire, somehow.. Eh... A small spill of spit fell down from my mouth to the mobo... Do i leave it for like 48 without touching it? Please help....

I work in IT and have done for a little over 5 years and of all the Helpdesk Tickets i've seen in my time, THAT is a new one xD

Amazing

Anywho, yes if the machine was off and not energized then wiping it clean with a bit of tissue should be fine. If you're super paranoid, you could wipe it and then hit it with a hair dryer (from at least 4-5 inches away - don't want to start cooking anything after all of this!) just to make sure there is no residual moisture.

30 minutes ago, Farden said:

I work in IT and have done for a little over 5 years and of all the Helpdesk Tickets i've seen in my time, THAT is a new one xD

Amazing

Anywho, yes if the machine was off and not energized then wiping it clean with a bit of tissue should be fine. If you're super paranoid, you could wipe it and then hit it with a hair dryer (from at least 4-5 inches away - don't want to start cooking anything after all of this!) just to make sure there is no residual moisture.

I think im full of suprises xd, i wiped it a little with those ear sticks and some tissue, it was on a hard to reach spot( between the ram slots, they have like 2 inches of space between) Ive left my pc case a lil bit open, and from what i read i should leave it atleast 24 h to dry 

Btw, when i test the pc, should i take my gpu off, and ram off? 

Just now, iHDCool said:

I think im full of suprises xd, i wiped it a little with those ear sticks and some tissue, it was on a hard to reach spot( between the ram slots, they have like 2 inches of space between) Ive left my pc case a lil bit open, and from what i read i should leave it atleast 24 h to dry 

You can speed that right up with a hair dryer if you have one lying around (try and give it a wipe again afterwards)

23 minutes ago, Farden said:

You can speed that right up with a hair dryer if you have one lying around (try and give it a wipe again afterwards)

Just read somewhere that the hair dryer can actually cause static damage

@Farden

Screenshot_2018-01-12-10-32-45.png.c345c9013c3cb968c5a495e1fba8bf01.png

Sorry just noticed the other question there - I would say nudging the cable inside the GPU cover will likely have fixed your problem if it was indeed fouling the fans as they spun. so you shouldn't need to worry about sequentially adding components. Just bung it all back in and power it on - see what it does.

1 minute ago, iHDCool said:

Just read somewhere that the hair dryer can actually cause static damage

@Farden

Screenshot_2018-01-12-10-32-45.png.c345c9013c3cb968c5a495e1fba8bf01.png

I would say this is being overly paranoid. If you want to be extra safe, plug the power cable from your PC into a wall socket but leave the socket switched off (so that it is earthed) - If there is any buildup it will be grounded. 

Wait your location is albania - not sure how sockets work there

Either way, it should be fine - I use compressed air on computer components all the time, I cant imagine any static energy buildup exceeding more than a few fractions of a millivolt. 

i dont have a power switch on my psu, if u plug it, then consider it being on. ive used compressed air before but never a hair dryer. Also the small cable is like in a difficult place to reach and i couldnt push it w toothpicks, what do i do about that?

Oh, can you post some photos? You might need to take the cover off the GPU (although usually this is just a couple of screws so it should be easy)

ill post em right now, prob is i didnt install this gpu, and i dont want to mess with the fans and taking em off, last time i did that on my old gt 210 i made new probs

1515754501713-889846814.thumb.jpg.a356db23163da7ba03817e79e7109c42.jpg1515754550906-946689927.thumb.jpg.ea9ea846c620f9af30e6182f9304d2e4.jpgnow in first pick, the place between the rams 1-2 inches from the transistor thingies is where the drop was, i can see its not completly dry so ill leave it till night. The cable thats interfeering w the gpu is the first gpu fan and the cable is below it on the inside

Are you able to post a picture of the offending cable? You'll probably want to take the CPU out to do it.

23 minutes ago, Farden said:

Are you able to post a picture of the offending cable? You'll probably want to take the CPU out to do it.

Why would I want to take the cpu out .-. That would actually be my first time and then id have to buy thermal paste. The small cable is inside the gpu

I was using my hair dryer on medium heat like 15 inches away from the pc, for how long should i use the haif dryer on the pc? I used it for like 5 mins xD