Should I wait for the next CPU generation before upgrading?

xunya

Hey LTTers! 

I've been considering an i7 8700K, seems like a really strong CPU, but then this Specter and Meltdown drama emerged... Do you guys think the next CPU generation will fix these problems inside the actual chip without any performance degradation? And will it be more secure than software patches? I'm not in a hurry, I want a long term upgrade I can run for years with decent performance and little hassle. I mean allegedly this bug dates back to the Core 2 Duo, so waiting for the first CPU in 10 years without this gaping security hole is worth it right? Idk... I'm very ambivalent. 

Just get the 8700k I have noticed zero issues with 8th gen CPUs, aside from the bug. Cockroaches are annoying man.

The geek himself.

The performance impact for gaming isn't a very big one. Intel will likely have this flaw fixed in the next couple generations to come, they pretty much have to completely redesign their chips to fix it.

The 8700K is a really strong CPU, and the absolute best for gaming.

Fixing this problem will take a few years, but every generation will ideally come closer to having it fixed.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

24 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The performance impact for gaming isn't a very big one. Intel will likely have this flaw fixed in the next couple generations to come, they pretty much have to completely redesign their chips to fix it.

The 8700K is a really strong CPU, and the absolute best for gaming.

Fixing this problem will take a few years, but every generation will ideally come closer to having it fixed.

Will it actually take years? I thought they could quick fix it and release an i7 "8790K" within the summer... 

4 minutes ago, xunya said:

Will it actually take years? I thought they could quick fix it and release an i7 "8790K" within the summer... 

No, they pretty much have to redesign their CPUs. But every generation should come closer to fixing it

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

No, they pretty much have to redesign their CPUs. But every generation should come closer to fixing it

That's horrible. Might get a Ryzen Plus instead. 

Just now, xunya said:

That's horrible. Might get a Ryzen Plus instead. 

Wait for Ryzen+ benchmarks and decide if ur gonna go Intel or AMD

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB