Win10 Professional x64 refuses to boot after the latest update.

Go to solution Solved by PorkishPig,
7 minutes ago, r3robbie said:

Hiya,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance regarding an issue I'm having with Win10 and Windows Update.

Each and every time I install the latest security update for Meltdown/Spectre (KB4056892), my system becomes unable to progress past this screen. The progression wheel doesn't even show up, the whole system just hangs, and I end up just having to do a system restore.

SPECS:

* CPU: AMD Athon 64 X2 5600+

* GPU: GeForce GTX 570

* MOBO: Asus Crosshair I

* RAM: 4GB Crucial @ 800MHz

* System Locale is in Japanese.

SFC and chkdsk scans all come back clean. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Will

This seems to be a somewhat common problem with Athlon processors. I don't believe this issue has a fix yet. For now, I would suggest that you pause updates in the Advanced options menu of the Windows Update UI.

this.thumb.PNG.95f9fda409c0de9172d44a6fdd06cfe2.PNG

Hiya,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance regarding an issue I'm having with Win10 and Windows Update.

Each and every time I install the latest security update for Meltdown/Spectre (KB4056892), my system becomes unable to progress past this screen. The progression wheel doesn't even show up, the whole system just hangs, and I end up just having to do a system restore.

SPECS:

SFC and chkdsk scans all come back clean. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

Will

7 minutes ago, r3robbie said:

Hiya,

SPECS:

Thanks,

Will

This seems to be a somewhat common problem with Athlon processors. I don't believe this issue has a fix yet. For now, I would suggest that you pause updates in the Advanced options menu of the Windows Update UI.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

You may have to reinstall Windows to get rid of the patch.

You can try a restore point, But for me, restore point never worked well. 

They are working on a new patch. So they say

1 hour ago, Zmax said:

You may have to reinstall Windows to get rid of the patch.

You can try a restore point, But for me, restore point never worked well. 

They are working on a new patch. So they say

1 hour ago, warrenr said:

Microsoft blocked this patch from distribution this morning.  You must've picked up the patch before they blocked it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073707/windows-os-security-update-block-for-some-amd-based-devices

1 hour ago, Homeless Pineapple said:

Ahhh, okay. I'll just pause updates for now until the new patch rolls out, and hope that they've set overwrite parameters. Thank you!

Also, I can confirm that this doesn't impact the 970 chipset.