Fractal Design Define R6 fan hub

baconborn
Go to solution Solved by saladcrack,

The hub takes one 4-pin fan header from your motherboard and splits it into all the headers on the fan hub. For the 4-pin it just pushes along the PWM signal like normal but for the 3-in fans it regulates the voltage to control fan speed. A 4-pin fan plugged into a 3-pin header would work like a 3-pin fan

Basically, how does this thing work? Are only the 4-pin headers able to be dynamically controlled while the 3-pins are at a set voltage? Does it take the PWM signal from the motherboard and translate that to voltage control for the 3-pin headers? If that's the case, would a 4-pin fan plugged in to the 3-pin header work like this also?

I'm planning on getting this case and all my fans are 3pin, but considering changing to corsair ML fans (PWM) and I would like to use the built-in solution rather than carry over my grid+.

The hub takes one 4-pin fan header from your motherboard and splits it into all the headers on the fan hub. For the 4-pin it just pushes along the PWM signal like normal but for the 3-in fans it regulates the voltage to control fan speed. A 4-pin fan plugged into a 3-pin header would work like a 3-pin fan

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

3 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Awesome. For some reason I couldn't find this info online, thanks for clearing that up

Are you sure? In my case, it isn't regulating any of my 3-pin fans, only the first (CPU / 4-pin) one - so it's completely useless to me: i can already connect the CPU fan directly to the PWM header on motherboard, and the other three fans to non-regulated headers, and have the same final result. Just asked the support if it's intended behavior, or if I have a faulty unit.

So, now I have the 3 case fans running at full speed, and it's the most noisy case I had in the last 10 years...

Hi, so I just have a really random question haha,I just bought a new case and it has 2x 120mm fans in the front  and it has a power supply cover. So should I keep one of the fans on the bottom front so it blows over the power supply sense it's closed off, or do I not need a fan there and can just move it to the top of the case or something?

2 hours ago, Monster.plays said:

Hi, so I just have a really random question haha,I just bought a new case and it has 2x 120mm fans in the front  and it has a power supply cover. So should I keep one of the fans on the bottom front so it blows over the power supply sense it's closed off, or do I not need a fan there and can just move it to the top of the case or something?

You can move it to the top. The PSU has its own fan, so it doesn't need a second blowing on it. However, it's recommended to leave it there if it's blowing over a hard drive. Othwewise, shift thwe fans up so the rest of your system can get the cooling it needs :) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

You can move it to the top. The PSU has its own fan, so it doesn't need a second blowing on it. However, it's recommended to leave it there if it's blowing over a hard drive. Othwewise, shift thwe fans up so the rest of your system can get the cooling it needs :) 

Oh right yea   I have the hard drive cage there, right behind the PSU. I forgot to ask about that yea. But do you really thing it's that big of a deal? Will the HDD heat up that much down there? In that case yeah  I guess I'll leave the fan down there. Thx for the suggestion btw^^ 

On 1/13/2018 at 12:21 PM, Monster.plays said:

Oh right yea   I have the hard drive cage there, right behind the PSU. I forgot to ask about that yea. But do you really thing it's that big of a deal? Will the HDD heat up that much down there? In that case yeah  I guess I'll leave the fan down there. Thx for the suggestion btw^^ 

It's not imperative to have airflow going through hard drive bays, especially if you only have one or two drives because they dont overheat by themselves. But if you stack a lot close other, they can warm up a bit more. So if you only have 1 hard drive, it's not needed really, but if you have three stacked really close to each other, it might be a good idea to help keep them cool. Otherwise, optimize fan positions to keep the rest of the system cool!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

It's not imperative to have airflow going through hard drive bays, especially if you only have one or two drives because they dont overheat by themselves. But if you stack a lot close other, they can warm up a bit more. So if you only have 1 hard drive, it's not needed really, but if you have three stacked really close to each other, it might be a good idea to help keep them cool. Otherwise, optimize fan positions to keep the rest of the system cool!

Nice thanks how the suggestion and help haha, that really helped and made me relax cos I didn't know what to do?. I only have 1 HDD so immgoid then, I'll move the fans so it cools the rest of the pc. But I'm also looking to order new fans online so I'll have everything covered, but thanks again man