Building a mini-ITX PC

Aiming to build a mini ITX build in a small portable size at hopefully under $1000. Capable of running games such as GTA V and Far Cry 4 easily. So far I've got this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWZwwV It's probably also important to know that I am off to Uni this year so will also be using it for programs related to design and architecture.

look into the price of an i3 8100 and wait for mini itx h310 boards, that would perform wayy better

also look for a mini itx b350 board as there is 0 difference between them and the x370 ones

Please don't buy 16GB of RAM for a gaming rig with that budget and the current pricing.

Your RAM costs more than your CPU or your GPU.

Also, that CPU cooler will not work on any AMD platform.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

looks pretty good, tough as stated above i would probably look in to getting 8 GB's of RAM and a better CPU or GPU.

also, you are better off using a B350 board in an ITX system because the ITX formfactor really can't utilise the extra things you get from the X370 chipset.

What do you mean it doesn't work with any AMD platform?

It supports AM4 but might not include the bracket. (Depending if it's old stock or not)

Just now, ExplosiveSloths said:

What do you mean it doesn't work with any AMD platform?

It supports AM4 but might not include the bracket. (Depending if it's old stock or not)

Well that might be what PCPartPicker says, but the "i" and the end of the name literally means it's meant for Intel CPUs.

The AMD version ends with an "a" and that might have a chance at getting a bracket.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett

21 minutes ago, Maxfire said:

Aiming to build a mini ITX build in a small portable size at hopefully under $1000. Capable of running games such as GTA V and Far Cry 4 easily. So far I've got this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nWZwwV It's probably also important to know that I am off to Uni this year so will also be using it for programs related to design and architecture.

Buy second hand if you need too, especially with RAM. i bought 16GB for about half the price brand new and i cant tell any different

4 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Well that might be what PCPartPicker says, but the "i" and the end of the name literally means it's meant for Intel CPUs.

The AMD version ends with an "a" and that might have a chance at getting a bracket.

So yeah.. old stock. i thought "i" was indicating that it's meant for itx?

Never seen the a version.

Never-mind, it's showing as off-sale for some reason:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DZfhP6/noctua-nh-l9a-am4-338-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l9a-am4

Anyhow, you can contact them for the bracket via customer support  if you can't find it.

Just now, ExplosiveSloths said:

There we go switched to the 'a' version, didn't spot that! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gBcbnn

31 minutes ago, ExplosiveSloths said:

Not that old, I don't think it has been replaced by something new from Noctua.

It just has two versions because the Intel one is square and the AMD one was longer - basically it's a square/rectangle made out of mounting points with fins inside.

Just now, DJ46 said:

Not that old, I don't it has been replaced by something new from Noctua.

It just has two versions because the Intel one is square and the AMD one was longer - basically it's a square/rectangle made out of mounting points with fins inside.

Ah alright, thanks for the info.

11 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

We don't know what programs OP is running in particular. They may actually have a real need for 16GB of RAM depending on the workload. I have seen IT guys upgrade their servers to quad-socket just because they needed more DIMM slots for RAM. 

Considering that DDR4 prices are sky high right now, I agree it would be better to go with 8GB of RAM today the upgrade tomorrow when DDR4 inevitably falls in price again, especially for the budget. 

Going with cheaper RAM to begin with like a single 16GB stick that is lower clocked may also be a good choice if 16GB is absolutely required today.

Yup could do with 16GB but that can wait... changed to less RAM https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bGqmd6

2 minutes ago, Maxfire said:

There we go switched to the 'a' version, didn't spot that! https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gBcbnn

Actually that one doesn't support AM4 either, Noctua made a specific revision https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DZfhP6/noctua-nh-l9a-am4-338-cfm-cpu-cooler-nh-l9a-am4

wow i hadnt noticed how weak the dollar is or strong the euro or whatever. i have a set up list for a small portable system here but translating it to pcpp i couldnt manage to make it work for 1000 bucks 

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

With your budget I would try to build something like this:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xwzfsJ

The Wraith Spire doesn't fit into the case our of the box, but you could get a slim fan with the same diameter and mount it on there just fine. If that would be too expensive, you could swap the CPU to an R5 1400.

But I'm not sure I'd recommend this case. I don't know if this issue would occur with a 1060, but my SSD in my old RVZ01 got REALLY hot when mounted behind the GPU.

21 minutes ago, Maxfire said:

Ahh that's annoying. That cooler is too tall to fit in the case. Case fits 58mm and that ones 92mm.

Well then we can report an error to PCpartpicker because if that cooler is 92mm tall I'll give them my left bollock. That's the size of the included fan.

3 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

Well than we can report and error to PCpartpicket because if that cooler is 92mm tall I'll give them my left bollock. That's the size of the included fan.

Quite right you are, it's actually only 37mm

40 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

look into the price of an i3 8100 and wait for mini itx h310 boards, that would perform wayy better

also look for a mini itx b350 board as there is 0 difference between them and the x370 ones

No time for waiting for a new board to come out, need this asap... b350 yup

If you want to go with the Wraith Spire cooler and a replacement fan, you have two options:

- a 92mm slim fan with custom mounting (or velcro/double sided tape, you get my drift) - I'd recommend this because then you can use this fan: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9x14-pwm

- an 80mm slim fan (this way you could utilize the stock holes on the cooler) - I don't know about any good slim 80mm fans

Are you 100% set on the case though?

4 minutes ago, DJ46 said:

If you want to go with the Wraith Spire cooler and a replacement fan, you have two options:

- a 92mm slim fan with custom mounting (or velcro/double sided tape, you get my drift) - I'd recommend this because then you can use this fan: https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a9x14-pwm

- an 80mm slim fan (this way you could utilize the stock holes on the cooler) - I don't know about any good slim 80mm fans

Think I'll go down the 92mm custom mounting route. What are you saying about the Wraith Spire cooler?

2 minutes ago, Maxfire said:

Think I'll go down the 92mm custom mounting route. What are you saying about the Wraith Spire cooler?

I don't have any first-hand experience but it got good reviews AFAIK and the heatsink looks good enough to be used with a different fan.

what do you think of this config

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6Cd9qk

if you go slightly bigger with this case then you can fit better hardware into the budget

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3