Let's say I build a dedicated mining rig...

Ok, let's say I'm building a dedicated mining rig for alt-coins like DaggerHashimoto, Vertcoin, etc.  Stuff that's mainly ASIC-resistant so using GPUs are fine.  Can I configure something like:

Config: A320 board, Ryzen 3 1200, 8 GB memory, but with a couple higher end video cards, maybe even Titan V when it drops.  Isolated from network, so running nothing but drivers and coin software/wallet/miner?

Or should I not cheap out on the board/CPU/mem?

if it's just mining with gpu's then any board at any bus speed would be fine

1 minute ago, emosun said:

if it's just mining with gpu's then any board at any bus speed would be fine

Huh.  Ok, so maybe I could just use my retired i7-950 box since it's got a 1kW PSU, and just plug in some newer GPUs.

Please don't mine. It makes little money. Breaking even will take forever. If you've decided to get involved with cryptos, trade, don't mine. To answer your question, get any cheap cpu with a board that supports a lot of GPUs. For mining, go 580 or vega and undervolt them.

4 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Please don't mine. It makes little money. Breaking even will take forever. If you've decided to get involved with cryptos, trade, don't mine. To answer your question, get any cheap cpu with a board that supports a lot of GPUs. For mining, go 580 or vega and undervolt them.

Any cheap board that is power efficient.

Why on earth would you get a Titan V? You can get what...6 1070's for that? I'm sure they'd make you a lot more money.

11 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

That's not true, actually. You can make pretty decent money at it, and once you factor in reselling the hardware after, break even isn't that far off either.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

That's not true, actually. You can make pretty decent money at it, and once you factor in reselling the hardware after, break even isn't that far off either.

Agreed. People keep saying this but I think they just dont want people taking their profits.

Just now, lieder1987 said:

Agreed. People keep saying this but I think they just dont want people taking their profits.

That, or they're just bitter they can't afford the hardware.

I'm still choked that I didn't get into mining many years ago. Had plans for rigs, did all the research...and bought a new bike instead. *shrug* :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

$1000usd/month currently per 8 card rig for me. I wouldnt consider that making 'little' money, and the break even is un-believably fast right now. But to each their own

On 1/9/2018 at 11:19 PM, FlatBrokeRacing said:

$1000usd/month currently per 8 card rig for me. I wouldnt consider that making 'little' money, and the break even is un-believably fast right now. But to each their own

what gpu's are you mining with and what coin / software?!

another question: Can I use normal boards that have 5 pcie slots you know 1 or 2 X16 and the rest x1 slots with risers? if yes HOW would i power them!!!? since 6 1080ti need a  MORE POWER ?

1 hour ago, s8860 said:

another question: Can I use normal boards that have 5 pcie slots you know 1 or 2 X16 and the rest x1 slots with risers? if yes HOW would i power them!!!? since 6 1080ti need a  MORE POWER ?

Yes you can use any mother board that has enough PCIE slots for the number  of graphics cards you have. You would use the risers. To power it, you just get a power supply that is enough for your cards / MB / CPU / etc AND has enough power connectors. The second part is the harder part.

3 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

Yes you can use any mother board that has enough PCIE slots for the number  of graphics cards you have. You would use the risers. To power it, you just get a power supply that is enough for your cards / MB / CPU / etc AND has enough power connectors. The second part is the harder part.

there is My ProbleM 

I don't want to jumb an external power supply becase I won't be around the PC to notice any burning smell or such:S

On 1/9/2018 at 9:19 PM, FlatBrokeRacing said:

Would you mind giving away the specs of you rig and the type of currency that you are mining? Just curious about that. @FlatBrokeRacing

Hmm, well, I was trying just to mine vertcoin using my regular system as a proof-of-concept and found the one-click miner to be problematic.  I'll probably resort to just use the CLI version instead of the annoying GUI.  Have to build my finances back up after the year-end armaggeddon of my bank account.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:11 PM, Daniel Z. said:

Please don't mine. It makes little money. Breaking even will take forever. 

Why do you spread lies? I have broke even in just over 1 month mining ether. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2018 at 12:53 PM, TheMasterOfOT said:

Would you mind giving away the specs of you rig and the type of currency that you are mining? Just curious about that. @FlatBrokeRacing

Me as well, if you don't mind.  I'm curious.