Getting electrocuted by literary everything

da_knug

Lately, I've started to get electric shocks from loads of different stuff, My metal monitor stand, chassis screws (both from the radiator mount and from the PSU mount), male USB port (both connected to the pc and to the wall), metal phone earpiece grill while the plugged into a PC (on a different computer to the monitor and the screws). Shits getting weirder by the hour.

I'm certain it's not an ESD because it's a continuous flow of electricity but it disappears a minute after it appears, not just a zap. Everything is grounded, it's happened on two different computers. 

It's not strong enough to hurt but you can clearly feel the sting for as long as you wish to hold your hand to the metal object.

Core I5 8600k @5GHz | Asus Strix OC GeForce GTX 1070 | 2x8 GB DDR4 2666MHz | Fractal Design Define C TG | Fractal Design Celcius S24 | Crucial MX300 525GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM HDD | MSI Krait Gaming z370

-= Moved to Off Topic =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's most probably your wall outlet , it's a grounding issue , your best bet is having it checked out with an electrician who's definitely going to charge you for tearing shit up to clear it out, so be prepped for it ,but first of all do make sure your  extension adapter if you're using any isn't the one causing the problem by replacing that to see if the issue persist. But do it as soon as you can , the issue can cause damage if left unchecked.

(having the same problem myself, can't fix for the moment & it has already damaged my monitor if i'm not mistaken)

Details separate people.

What @Tech_Dreamer said. That kind of thin is nearly always a grounding issue. Even if everything has a ground pin, it could be bad wiring in your house. I would definitely get that checked out as it can be pretty dangerous.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

9 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

It's most probably your wall outlet , it's a grounding issue , your best bet is having it checked out with an electrician who's definitely going to charge you for tearing shit up to clear it out, so be prepped for it ,but first of all do make sure your  extension adapter if you're using any isn't the one causing the problem by replacing that to see if the issue persist. But do it as soon as you can , the issue can cause damage if left unchecked.

(having the same problem myself, can't fix for the moment & it has already damaged my monitor if i'm not mistaken)

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll definitely make sure to get it checked up.

Core I5 8600k @5GHz | Asus Strix OC GeForce GTX 1070 | 2x8 GB DDR4 2666MHz | Fractal Design Define C TG | Fractal Design Celcius S24 | Crucial MX300 525GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM HDD | MSI Krait Gaming z370

Grounding issue, are you plugging in directly to the wall or a surge protector? or UPS > Surge Protector > The Wall?

I have a feeling you're plugging directly into the wall and if you're getting shocked you need to call an electrician.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

7 hours ago, ErickS89 said:

Grounding issue, are you plugging in directly to the wall or a surge protector? or UPS > Surge Protector > The Wall?

I have a feeling you're plugging directly into the wall and if you're getting shocked you need to call an electrician.

Well this still might happen to the OP even if using other devices between the wall and the computer, barring any safety designs which would stop the power flow. It definitely sounds like something is messed up with the wiring itself and likely the ground.

Grounding is part of the issue. Theres something called the capacitive effect. The metal chassis, voltage source, you and the ground all form a capacitor that 240V can use. Better grounding in your building and making sure the device plug has ground too that is plugged in (very important to check that ground is used with adapters). Humidity can also increase this effect too.

If you have metal chassis around electricity, it must be connected to ground.

Let's best hope this harms the bank account before it harms the OP equally grievously (which in the case of extensive electrical work, quite a lot).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…